PDA

View Full Version : Hooks

Fish-on
10-12-2004, 07:27 AM
Every one has their own preference on gear and I would like to know what kind and size hooks most of you use when bait fishing. Most of the time I use the standard Gamigatsu Octopus sereies in 3/0 size but have also used large plastic worm hooks because of the small barbs up the shank. Those seems to hold bait pretty well to. Does anyone use the circle hooks or any thing else...

2QUARTSLOW
10-12-2004, 01:38 PM
Fish-on, i'll bite, pun intended, ;D When fishing the delta for stripers while using shad, I use anywhere from a 6/0 to 9/0 Gamakatsu. For Stugeon use the same making my own leaders out of 60 lb steel leader sometimes single or double hook set up. Just my .02. 2 quarts low with a boat load of fish

Mr_T
10-12-2004, 02:51 PM
3/0-4/0 Gamis work for me. great hooks, but it stinks that they don't come in bulk to be a bit cheaper...

SEEKER
10-16-2004, 06:59 AM
You can get them in packs of 25 up to 5/0 for 7.99 from OFFSHORE ANGLER. Should be plenty to last you a season or two and the price is right as well. ;D

Lumpy
10-16-2004, 08:43 AM
I have used circle hooks when using live bait. You really don't have to set the hook when using them, when they take off with your bait, all you have to do is hang on. One thing with circle hooks is you have to keep them really sharp.

Striper120
10-16-2004, 10:17 PM
Eagle Claw circle hooks ,fish on almost every bite,2/0 ,4/0

Kapn_Krusty
10-17-2004, 10:33 AM
I too love circle hooks and have used Owner and Gamikatsu brands so far. Of those two brands, I prefer the Owners.

I prefer the rounder bends to the more angular (nautilus etc.) bends and like the needle or conical points to the cutting points.

One of the great things about circles is that you can catch and release often times without even touching the fish, but by giving the fish slack, they can often throw the hook. That's easy for me and causes less damage to the fish.

The downside of circles is that they're tough to use with cut baits, if you're like me and demand that your hook point points out of the bait.

Gami Octos and VMCs baitholders are great. And I've used a lot of Eagle Claws in my time as well, but I'd stick with the "laser sharp" grade.

Fine reels and rods are just nicities that make the experience more enjoyable. High grade line and hooks, are the absolute necessities of the serious fisherperson.

KK

Mr.Pescador
10-17-2004, 02:08 PM
Fine reels and rods are just nicities that make the experience more enjoyable. High grade line and hooks, are the absolute necessities of the serious fisherperson. K.K I couldnt agree more !!!

Kapn_Krusty
10-18-2004, 03:50 PM
Oops!

I screwed up! I just dug out my hook box and looked at my favorite hooks and they're Gamakatsu "Octopus Circle" hooks.

They have a great roundness very much like the regular Octos, but continued into a circle. They have 2 varieties, both with conical- needle like -points. One has an offset eye, for snelling, the other has a straight eye for palomaring. I like both, but prefer the straight eyes. The straight eyed variety comes in fewer sizes (3/0-10/0), and is about $1 more expensive. The offset eyed variety comes in sizes 8-8/0.

Sorry about the confusion.

KK

Mr_T
10-19-2004, 07:25 AM
Cool tip thanks for the heads up. I go through a lot of hooks, not sure if 25 will make it through a season, but it will make it cheaper!

You can get them in packs of 25 up to 5/0 for 7.99 from OFFSHORE ANGLER. Should be plenty to last you a season or two and the price is right as well. ;D

Sardine
10-19-2004, 06:23 PM
You have got to be kidding! Is this a joke? You like circle hooks? You might as well be fishing with a closed safety pin. Where in the devil are you people from?

FISHINFOOL
10-20-2004, 07:41 AM
I'm w/you Sardine,I'v used alot of differant hooks but circle hooks are the last I'd use.My personal experence is they don't stick. I've never been able to hook a fish w/a circle
As they say,just my 2 cents
Paul
FISHINFOOL

Kapn_Krusty
10-21-2004, 06:52 AM
Well there are good and bad days fishing just like everything else. On a good day you almost don't need a hook, and on a bad day, you could be serving baluga (sp?) caviar and it still wouldn't matter.

Perhaps our experiences with circle hooks are related to something other than the hook itself.

As most of us know, fishing requires faith. So if you don't have faith in a piece of gear, you probably won't do well with it. You may not even give it a fair chance to prove itself either way.

Nevertheless, if you guys don't like circle hooks, speak up and tell us what you have your best results using.

I'm always open to trying and learning something new.

KK

Mr_T
10-22-2004, 06:31 AM
Gotta side with sardine and fishin fool; just cannot get used to the circles. I have used them maybe 6-7 times, and never hook up. I am sure this is partly cuz I LIKE to try and set that hook, and you are not supposed to do that with a circle. I know I know I know. :-[

To me setting that hook is one of the best parts of fishing. Circles take away that fun for me. :(

This summer I did a lot of fishing in the river for ctas and tripers and was using Matzuo "sickle" hooks. I was back in KC and went to a cabelas and found 25 packs for about 1.50, so I bought a few packs. ;D Loved them, but now the only time I see them is in 6 packs for 3-4 bucks. Great hook, holds a point really well, and you could actually touch them up to a good point after ticking a rock, which you can't do with a lot of the chemically sharpened hooks.

Ran out though so back to the gamis, good hooks, can't complain.

I agree about the line and hooks beaing the most important part of the gear

Kapn_Krusty
11-10-2004, 02:55 PM
Hey sniffers and snifferettes,

Here's a very interesting and informative read on the subjects of J-Hooks versus Circles, and Snelling versus Tying your hooks to the snood.

Give it a read, 'cause it's interesting and apparently if more of us used appropriately sized, snelled circle hooks, our fisheries would show dramatic improvement over the next 5 years.

Also note that at the end of the article, the author does try to sell his special version of circle hooks ( with a wire appendage). But that's ok. It still doesn't change the data that's been collected.

http://www.fishing.sh/htmfiles/hookreports/tyingvssnelling.html
KK

Lil_Hooker
11-10-2004, 04:33 PM
kapn wheres the article bud?

Kapn_Krusty
11-10-2004, 05:58 PM
You know you're gettin' old when you do that! :P

Sorry about that....totally cracking up

I can be such a bone-head at times.

KK

brock
11-14-2004, 09:44 PM
Octopus sereies #5 and thay are cheep at walmart...

jearl
11-15-2004, 10:36 PM
Senor Brock... Don't you mean size 5/0 hooks?

Jeff

brock
11-16-2004, 12:56 AM
yeah "that's what I'm talking about" 5/0 hooks
i see your posting your pic all over this site...

i seen homer(i might be there)picture pick up that 30 inch
striper... nice .... but me I love the bait side of fishing that trolling .... but keep it up man ... did my dad tell you about the 20inch and the 21inch we got and that 24 inch the next day ... look better for the spunky monkey (my boat)....

talk to you later ....

jearl
11-16-2004, 07:42 AM
Brock, The Boss saw the pic of Lizard and the shirt on the office PC. Didn't say much. I think he wants someone to take him fishing. He keeps hearing about all of the Stripers being caught.
I am sure Me E wouldn't mind a little anchovy smell on his hands............

:)

Jeff

Oxbow
11-16-2004, 01:16 PM
Kapn_Krusty,
Those circle hooks with the snell knot sound like just the thing to use on "long lines" with bait in New Zealand. Do you recommend the same thing for trolling for stripers in the delta or maybe macks or trout in a lake here in California?

jwa
11-18-2004, 07:17 PM
Boy, you can spend a lot of time chatting about hooks! The choice often varies with the type of fishing. My tackle box has Gamis, VMCs, Owners, Mustads, and Eagle Claws too.

I am certainly not a fan of circle hooks for mooching salmon. I miss many more strikes with circles than with good live bait hooks. You simply cannot use the same technique for both when mooching. Use the wide gap circles with rounded points for salmon mooching in 3/0 to 5/0.

I used to be a fan of the Eagle Claw baitholders for cut bait fishing, but since they discontinued Lazar Sharp tips in the larger hook sizes, I opted for the Matzuo baitholders. They are good hooks, and they are stronger than the bronze wire Eagle Claw hooks. I use the 3/0 & 5/0 sizes for baitfishing exclusively. Hooks with a slight offset seem to me to do a better job when striking with dead bait.

Use big baits for big fish. That may mean using a two-hook rig.

The Matzuo octopus hooks are excellent also. I usually use these when fishing in the Upper Bay & Delta with live bait, although I use other brand hooks for live bait fishing too. I use a Perfection Loop to tie the octopus hook to the leader to allow more natural movement of the bait. There is nothing like the thrill of feeling the bait start moving frantically just before he gets slammed! You then have to be patient and wait until the striper decides to swallow the bait. He may carry it off several feet before swallowing. A lot of fisherman strike too soon at this point, and they end up jerking the bait out of the striper's mouth.

Use the Cabelas search feature for "Matzuo" for more info.

Regardless of the brand hook, make sure that it is needle sharp. Also, I found myself spending a lot more money recently buying Seaguar and P-Line flourocarbon leaders. It is really worth it! They make a BIG difference, because the fish cannot see the line.

Good luck!

Kapn_Krusty
11-19-2004, 10:08 PM
Kapn_Krusty,
Those circle hooks with the snell knot sound like just the thing to use on "long lines" with bait in New Zealand. *Do you recommend the same thing for trolling for stripers in the delta or maybe macks or trout in a lake here in California?

Long lines were used to evaluate the hooks effectiveness without any confounding factors introduced by fishing styles.

Circle hooks are for bait fishing, not lures.

I believe in, and practice catch and release. I was a wildlife biology major in college and consistent with that bent I believe in doing what I can to protect and promote our natural resources.

Can you use circle hooks for trout? Of course.

Reducing the number of gut hooked fish decreases the mortality rate of undersized game fish, and in turn increases the number of larger, more mature game fish.

The article that I shared merely reinforces what we already know, whether in New Zealand, Mass, or CA, circle hooks decrease fish mortality. That's why you're required to use them when Salmon fishing. It is also the reason that it is the FIRST suggestion of many given by CA DFG on how to practice catch and release of striped bass.

I hope this doesn't sound too preachy, because still I think the article speaks for itself. You take from it what you will.

I just thought your response smacked with a bit of inappropriate sarcasm.

KK

deltalover
12-03-2004, 12:49 PM
It took awhile to get use to circle hooks. I have been using them for about a year. These days if I get a hit, I get a fish. I dont use anything but circle hooks now. They are great for panfish and trout as well as stripers and other big fish. I guess you got to love um or hate um! You dont get the joy of trying to yank the jaw from the fish, but the continous sweeping motion, untill you feel resistance and the fight is on has it's own kind of pleasure! imho

2QUARTSLOW
12-03-2004, 09:51 PM
Deltalover, I too like circle hooks, however, I have a problem hooking the bait the way I like, I takes longer and harder to give it the presentation I want.

But the flip side I lipped hooked more fish and lost less fish using a circle hook.

But during a winter bite that is about to come, (The above mentioned hookups were spring bite), they bite softer and need a little coaxing to take the bait.

I havent used the circle hook under those conditions.

But I like lip ripping, that is when I set the hook, I dont get that when using circles.

Like you said you love em or hate em, I can use them but I dont hate em.

Just adding a little info

2 quarts low with a boat load of fish

C-hawk
12-08-2004, 09:22 PM
People do troll with circle hooks. When the circle hook hoopala got started several years ago, I read an article about them, where a charter skipper swore by them for trolling in the Gulf of Mexico. The circle hooks were attached to a kind of jig head and baited with a plastic curly tail worm. The fish they were going after were big game fish. Maybe tarpon. His contention was that he may have had fewer hookups, but the "sports" (read inexperienced) he typically took out lost far fewer on the circle hook, therefore putting more fish in the boat. I still can't see how a fish gets hook striking a circle hook.

Second point ... the article on hooking comparison between circle hooks and J hooks. This is fine, and valid research , if you are a long line commercial fisherman, trotliner, or deep water halibut fisherman in Alaska. In all for these situations the fish hooks itself. Sport fishermen using J hooks have a role in hooking the fish AND keeping it on the hook. The sport fisherman using circle hooks has less of a role in those two activities. The commercial fisherman, etc. plays no role in keeping the fish on, the hook does it all.

I think the data shows that circle hooks do a better job of keeping fish on an unattended line (which most people will agree with). The reason fewer fish were "caught" on the unattended J hooks was that they eventually got off after being hooked and struggling for a while. To think other wise is to believe that those other 100 +/- fish were succesfull bait stealers.

The reason a higher percentage of the J hooks were gut hooked is that gut hooked fish don't gt off any kind of hook, even unattended J hooks.

A more interesting question is why snelled hooks caught more fish than knotted hooks with all types of hooks. It most likely has to do with a more in-line-with- the-shaft-of -the-hook applicaton of force when the line goes tight.

I have fished for salmon 3 to 4 trips with circle hooks (3 party boats, one private boat) and not hooked a salmon mooching, even though I had numerous bites or runs, and followed the classic advice on how to let the hook themselves by simply starting to reel in line. Prior to circle hooks I was very succesfull at mooching for salmon. I have hooked two stripers on circle hooks at San Luis. We went to circle hooks after quickly J hooking two for the dinner tables so that we could C & R for a while. The next two fish were gut hooked and we were done Go figure.

Sardine
12-17-2004, 01:49 AM
That was an interesting read on the circle hooks but I don't beleive a word of it. Talk about hyperbole!
It says the "Best Hook for the Fishery." is the
O'Shaugnessy & Octopus but only because they caught so few fish. Well, if that's the case why are we using these circle hooks. What an outright bunch of BS that is. We were using those before they were outlawed for the ocean salmon. I caught fish then, but not now. What, they are going to make a law so we have to use a hook that catches more fish. I don't think any of us beleive that. That's what the article is saying. The only thing a circle hook is good for is if you set a trot line & come back in a day or two to see what's on the hook. They are not going to outlaw a hook that doesn't catch fish, they are going to legislate that you use one that doesn't.

GreatOne
12-22-2004, 03:53 PM
What a great topic for a first timer like me!! I have never failed landing a BIG striper with Owner's SSW cutting point 4/0. I don't go striper fishing without this hook and it's worth every cent of it!!!!

Bootsforwalking
01-05-2005, 07:44 PM
My preference is Gamakatsu all the way. ;D
To me, they are the sharpest hook made.

aintscared
01-05-2005, 09:38 PM
I AGREE GOMMI'S ARE GOOD AND SHARP, BUT AFTER FISHING WITH OWNERS I MAY NEVER GO BACK! BETTER FINISH WITH THE NEW EXCLUSIVE CORROSION RESISTANT BLACK AND CHROME FINISH, CHECK OUT THE CUTTING POINT STRAIGHT SHANK WITH WORM HOLDER BARBS AND ALSO CHECK OUT THE SUPER NEEDLE POINTS IN THE GREEN AND WHITE PACKAGE. ONCE YOU'VE FISHED THESE HOOKS YOU MAY NEVER GO BACK TO GOMMI'S AT HALF THE PRICE!! AINTSCARED ;)

Mr_T
01-05-2005, 09:41 PM
I like Gamis, Matzuo and Owner hooks. They all share one thing, (no, not the fact that they are all japanese) which is that they are chemically sharpened. The down side of that is the first time they tick a rock they lose a lot of the sharpness, and using a stone or file to put a point on back on thattype of hook is not easy to do right. The matzuo ar the easiest to do that one, the others are almost impossible.

Right now using a lot of Gamis, in the octopus style. If you are paying attention and set the hook quickly you get a lot of lip hooked fish. Live bait seems a different game which I am still adjusting to. Letting them run for a bit with the bait would seem to favor a circle hook. :-/ Hmmmm, better go fishing and check it out some more. ;)

deltalover
01-16-2005, 02:51 PM
I use Owner circles and think they are great! Most of the high end hooks are excelent! They are well worth the extra bucks. You have to shop around though or you can easliy pay twice as much as from another place for same hook. Does anyone know where to get owner circles in the smaller sizes for panfish and trout?

triggerfish
02-01-2005, 09:56 PM
circle hooks are great for tuna,I,ve used them the last 2 or 3 trips. My landing rate went from about 60% to over 90%. they are always hooked in the corner of the mouth.just the way that they are designed to do. so I try them on other fish,and they just dont seem to work for me.so I use octipus hooks for halibut,stripers,lings. and I dont even bother mooching any more,I just troll for the salmon now

RobRockCrawler
02-14-2005, 11:22 PM
I switched over to circles bot 5 years ago. THe learning curve sucked for me but after a little while i got the hang of it and will never go back. The Gami 5/0 octopus circle is pretty much all i use unless i cant find them. Last year i started using the red ones and they seemed to catch a few more . I think i have only had 2 gut hooked stripers since i switched over. The worst thing about them is getting hooked, a bit more difficuly to get out than a J hook. just .02 from a striper addict from the frozen striperless tundra of massachusetts.

MSzychulda
02-26-2005, 05:40 PM
I might have to give these circle hooks a try, just to satisfy my curiosity. So what is the consensus, snell or knots for circle hook attachment? Matt

deltalover
02-26-2005, 06:26 PM
Though my favorite knot is the palomar, there have been studies that showed snelling the hook is more effective. I dont remember what the percentage was, but I remember being kind of awed by it!

donzitroller
03-01-2005, 12:32 AM
I've been using the snelling lately. Another twist I have been using lately, especially since sturgeon and stripers are being caught on each other's bait, is a two hook setup. I snell a 6/0 Owner about 18-20 inches from the top of the leader and snell a 2/0 on the end of the leader, maybe 20-24 inches from the 6/0. On the 2/0 I use shad or mudsucker (right now it's shad- caught a sturgie last time out on it) and use grass or ghost on the 6/0. Of course the shrimp is primarily for sturgeon and the shad/mudsucker is primarily for stripers, you never know what you will catch. My reasoning for this is: If I can't use two rods, I'm going to use two baits. It sure can't hurt! FISH ON!

C-hawk
03-11-2005, 09:15 PM
Kahle hooks? I just picked up 5 boxes of 6/0 Kahle hooks on a bargain table. Eagle Claw, nickle, lazer sharp for $.10 a box of 25. Are these the hooks that are typically used for sturgeon? Does anyone use them for stripers?

Whatever they are used for, why the unique shape?

Striperman
03-16-2005, 08:32 PM
I have also used circle hooks for tuna. They work great and as triggerfish said my boated fish rate went up tremendously. I have not used them for stripers but i might give it a try. What kind of hooks do you all use with jumbo minnows? I used the live bait hooks that i use for anchovies and dines in the ocean and the jumbo sinks straight to the bottom!!! What kind of hooks are everyone using for minnows?

Striperman

sockeyeslammer
03-24-2005, 09:12 PM
Striperman, you might want to try the light wire Gami's for your minnows. I use em for live chovies and dine's in the bay and they work great for stripers and butts. I always tie the hooks using a loop knot so the hook is free on the line. I was worried they might not be strong enough but haven't had one bend yet.
I also like Donzi's idea and reasoning about the second bait in the water.

Here is a link to check out the light wire Gami's
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpage-GLBLWHB.html

And here is a shot of one.
http://img103.exs.cx/img103/9779/gami8sd.jpg

tsunami
03-29-2005, 04:04 PM
nice choice
same hook i use.
mine must be a tad thicker ,it looks the same thickness but theres noway a striper could straighten it out.

fish_4_one
04-01-2005, 06:49 PM
cool, :o thanks :o

Reel_Lost
04-01-2005, 09:06 PM
How do you set up for jumbo minnows and drifting in the Sac. Do you drop shot them or use sliders.

bob4u55
04-04-2005, 06:14 AM
Just for what its worth..I sent away for some of PAULS hook set ups and had them for my last trip out last Thursday when I caught my 34" striper in the Martinez area. I caught the 34" striper using the standard Striper hook that you can buy off the rack already tied and usually has a red bead at the hook and is a standard J hook type. Caught two fish, both gut hooked. I didn't want to keep the seconded fish so I cut the leader down close to the hook and released the fish. Put on one of PAULS circle hooks with the wire thing attached to it that is suspose to prevent you from hooking the smaller fish. Caught 3 more keepers all hooked in the side of the mouth easy to remove the hook and release the fish unharmed. I have several of these from Paul's on hand now and plan to fish this season using them and see how I do. So far I can see the advantage.

Bob

SturgeonVirgin
04-04-2005, 06:47 AM
Just for what its worth..I sent away for some of PAULS hook set ups and had them for my last trip out last Thursday when I caught my 34" striper in the Martinez area. I caught the 34" striper using the standard Striper hook that you can buy off the rack already tied and usually has a red bead at the hook and is a standard J hook type. Caught two fish, both gut hooked. I didn't want to keep the seconded fish so I cut the leader down close to the hook and released the fish. Put on one of PAULS circle hooks with the wire thing attached to it that is suspose to prevent you from hooking the smaller fish. Caught 3 more keepers all hooked in the side of the mouth easy to remove the hook and release the fish unharmed. I have several of these from Paul's on hand now and plan to fish this season using them and see how I do. So far I can see the advantage.

Bob

Hey Bob, got a pic or a link for those setups?

thanks,

T-

donzitroller
04-13-2005, 08:29 PM
After the last sturgeon outing, I caught a few stripers from 16 to 22 inches on a Khale, somewhere around 7/0 or bigger. I couldn't believe it. For a hook that big to be able to catch a striper that small, there was no swallowing the hook, making a clean release very easy. I picked up some today in 4/0 to see how that works. I didn't find any made by Gami or Owner, the only ones I could find were Eagle Claw Lazers. Not my favorite hook, but what the heck, I'll give it a shot! Just thought I'd toss that out, as it was a hook that I'd never used before and thought it did pretty well. FISH ON!

BigMc
07-30-2005, 08:39 AM
Thank's for the info on hooks, Now can anyone give me information on what you soak sardine in to tuffin them up ??? Thank you all and keep up the great Tips

SturgeonVirgin
07-30-2005, 12:55 PM
Thank's for the info on hooks, *Now can anyone give me information on what you soak sardine in to tuffin them up ??? Thank you all and keep up the great Tips

Rock salt.

BigMc
07-30-2005, 07:07 PM
Thanks Mr T i will give it a Try............ ;)