PDA

View Full Version : Hobie information request

atavuss
10-27-2008, 07:01 AM
any real world experience with Hobie kayaks?
I know they are expensive new and used ones are seldom available.
are they stable?
I have torn rotator cuffs in both shoulders so I have limited mobility and strength. *are the Hobies heavy? *I would be transporting it on a 1/4 ton "Jeep" trailer that will have a rack built on it.
any other information would be appreciated.
I would be using the yak on high mountain lakes (Woods Lake, Red Lake, Kirkwood Lake, etc.) *that restrict gas and electric motors along with low elevation lakes (Rancho Seco, etc.)

GW_Extreme
10-28-2008, 12:34 PM
The Hobie I have with the peddles is about 9.5 ft long and it is pretty heavy compared to similar length kayaks. I put mine in the back of my truck for transportation, its a little cumbersome to load, but not to bad. If you have to walk the kayak very far it has wheels that mount on the bottom so you can pull it. They are very stable on the water as they are wider than other non fishing sit on tops. I love mine for small lakes and use it whenever I don't feel like dragging the boat somewhere.

maui_mark
10-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Atavus. I've had mine for a few years now. I think it weighs about 45 pounds, but I've got all kinds of stuff on it... my memory is a little hazy on exact weight, but it's not too bad. Weight info is listed on the Hobie site, I think...
I also have torn up shoulders, knees too, but I love my Hank Parker Outback. I probably haven't used the paddles more than a couple of times since I bought it, mostly just to get off shore a bit so I don't ground the fins. Mine is pretty stable, but I bought the pontoon kit for it when I bought the sail kit, just in case it was needed... haven't really used either one yet... I highly recomend the "turbo" fins! Much better speeds available especially fighting a head wind. They don't bother my knees either, even a full day on the water, say 12 hours trolling Lake Amador, and the seat is suprisingly comfortable too. The exercise is supposedly good for my knees...
I just pick my Kayak up one end at a time. It's not so rough on the shoulders that way.
In San Jose there is a store that rents them ( Mel Cotton's) and at the end of every year they sell their rental boats at discounted prices, there are some kayak rental places in Santa Cruz, Monterey, and I think also around SF bay... they might also have a purchase at a discount program for used rentals. Just a thought. I didn't find out about Mel's plan until after I purchased mine new.
I love mine. It is great for smaller lakes, heck it's a great fishing platform in all kinds of lakes. Just use common sense about the conditions you go out in. I've used mine to good effect at Lake Almanor, Eagle Lake, Bridgeport Res., Upper & Lower Twin lakes, Silver lake, Hennon, San Luis ( for stripers, thats a blast!), and lots of others. I would highly recomend them! Hands free for fishing, not hard on the shoulders, you use your larger thigh muscles, and you will quickly learn what is a comfortable pace for yourself that you can keep up all day.
I've added lots of accessories to mine. The color ff w/ gps & chart plotter has been the best, but extra rod holders, downriggers, a hard sided ice chest w/ more rod holders on it, lots of stuff... all of it makes it a better fishing platform, but it's a good platform in stock condition. Unless you enginered something like Yakmotor has, with an electric trolling motor, I don't think you can do better for a small lake fishing machine. I'll try to figure out the picture posting thing before I get to my 500th post, and stick a few up in the tubes, toons, & yaks pix section. PM me if you have any questions. Good luck to you. Mark

Bass_Sergeant
11-01-2008, 09:05 AM
atavuss,

One of the boys on the BnT site is selling his 2008 Hobie Outback Fish Hank Parker Edition sit-on-top kayak. I'll PM you the link. 8-)

/me

Salvage
11-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Hi all,

I bought an used Outback SUV (12') from a relative who needed money and used at a few times. It is relatively heavy compared to other fishing kayaks, extremely stable, and the drive is unique especially if you are planning to do much trolling. I haul it on a Thule rack on my Corolla. Loading it is manageable for one person. I had some difficulties locking the fin drive in place and wished I had a smaller and more basic kayak since I have mostly fly fished anchored. I would not recommend a new one if you don't have much experience kayaking but if you can't paddle and find a used one why not.

Cheers

maui_mark
11-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Atavus. Make sure you take one for a test drive first! You have a vertical pressence to you, if I remember correctly from a motorcylce post... and while the pedal drive is somewhat adjustable, you should definitly try one out before buying. I'm 6'1 1/2" but I have a long torso and short 30" inseam so I fit okay. Longer legged types should try the fit first... Just a thought. Mark

fishpeddler1
11-05-2008, 10:02 PM
I wear a 36" pant and fit the hobie outback just right. not sure if the other models have the same setback though.

atavuss
11-06-2008, 05:15 PM
all great information! I appreciate all the feedback.
I am 6'3" with a 34" inseam so I will try one of the Hobies for size first.

Salvage
11-08-2008, 09:58 AM
Hi Atavus,

You might do a google search on "fishing kayak reviews" for more information. A couple of years ago I was researching Hobies and a few heavy-weighed owners that they recommended a larger kayak compared to some of the shorter models. The 12' was fine for me (I am 200#) and the adjustment for seat and pedaling were ok.

Cheers