PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy cured roe in the Chico area?

fishalot
08-30-2005, 07:35 AM
Well, I live in Chico and I need some roe. Does anyone have some cured, ready to fish with, roe for sale?

Bob_Aloo
08-30-2005, 07:40 AM
It is available at many bait stores and tackle shops.

It is against the law for any of us (in California) to sell roe from fish we caught.

fishalot
08-30-2005, 08:27 AM
But you can buy it in the store ??? Heck I will mow your yard or wash your car. Then you could give me the row. 8)

Wishnbfishn
08-31-2005, 12:53 PM
Buy it on-line. There are a couple of high quality roe guys that sell over the internet out of the Northwest.

Wishn

fishstix
09-01-2005, 08:02 AM
Plenty of places sell it online.

try
http://www.tillamookbait.com/
or
http://www.freshsalmonroe.com/

fishalot
09-01-2005, 08:22 PM
I found fresh roe for sale in Chico. Is $13 a pound to much? I was told to put Boraxo or borax in the roe to dry it up. Is that right? ???

fishalot
09-09-2005, 02:09 PM
I also found roe for sale at Longs Drugs. It comes in a clear cup, enough to fish with for a trip for $5.

tdekens
09-09-2005, 02:20 PM
Fishalot, Make sure the borax you get is unscented. ;)
The deal behind borax is it dries out the roe (cures it)You will get the hang of whether its too dry or too wet. There are lots of ways to do your roe. Just do a google search on it or go to like say www.procure.com If you want to add color just use some Jello or buy the precolored borax from procure. I prefer procures shaker bottle. It works really good. Practice on say a half pound batch at a time. Were plastic gloves and dont let it get near anything that stains. Use glass to put in. Plastic will permanently stain. Momma wont like that ;)
2Shakes ;D ;D 8)

fishalot
09-09-2005, 03:01 PM
I bought the 20 mule team borax, thats what I found. Do I still have to cure the roe I got a Longs. I saw the procure powder with the borax in it, should I buy that and at that to it. I am new at this so I have to ask alot of questions.

tdekens
09-10-2005, 08:18 PM
You have to feel the roe. I have never seen the jarred roe you are talking about. I would doubt if you would have to cure any roe you bought in a store any more. Simply because it would have to be really cured already and really dry to sit on a shelf. Roe you catch and cure will last only a short time in the reefer. If you arent going to use it in less than a week you should freeze it in something air tight. I would recommend jarring it with a vacuum sealer in a large mouth. If you dont have a sealer you can light a piece of paper and throw it on top and put he lid on and screw it shut. That will take any oxygen out that was inside according to procure. I use a vacuum sealer to suck the air out. Just practice on a bit at a time. You will get the hang of it. Just dont over complicate the process.
2Shakes opn the feather tomorrow! ;D ;D 8)

medicrob
10-17-2005, 10:39 PM
I have found that the roe that is hard as a rock is about as effective as fishing with a rock. My suggestion is if you can break it, don't waste your time. ;)