PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try the e-chip?

Fishin_G
03-03-2008, 11:55 AM
Hi all,
Heard mention that some bait shops are selling a sturgeon rig with the echip. Was wondering if anyone has tried them and if they helped. Also, anyone know a shop in between San jose and Rio Vista that sells them. Headed out this weekend thought I might try a new gadget.
Thanx
Pete

fishon_gethenet
03-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Check out Fishinfoool's post on this board. It looks like he tried them out and caught a few. He said that they have the e-chip rigs at Benicia's bait shop.

fishhook60
03-03-2008, 01:13 PM
ok whats an e chip got a link i can see it

RENOBOYS
03-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Anyone else try these, I would be willing to try them. Depending on the price

Cal.Kellogg
03-03-2008, 02:11 PM
As an editor at the Fish Sniffer just about every new fishing product you can imagine comes across my desk.....I can tell you from the on the water testing that I've done the E-Chip is the real deal...they actually work and they work on every species of fish I've tried them on including, salmon, sturgeon, stripers, trout, catfish and more.....Cal Kellogg

fusionstar
03-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Theres a couple at wal-mart on florin.
I think they ran 4-6 dollars each. But i'm not sure so don't expect them to be 4 bucks. Alan Fong uses Rat-L-Trap with e-chips installed. In a Expo seminar video, he mentioned it outperformed regular setups.

http://www.westernbass.tv/videopage.php?0000184 is the video.

I would assume they work for attracting all types of fish.

RENOBOYS
03-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Allright, thats it, I will be purchasing some of those ASAP. Can't find too many of those in Reno

Fishin_G
03-03-2008, 02:45 PM
Anyone know a shop other than Benicia, its pretty far out of the way. I kinda remember someone a while ago saying they got em in Antioch or Pittsburgh, but I cant find the post now. I also just called Fishermans Warehouse and they only have the chips already built into a lure. I looked at the echip site and you can get a kit to install them yourself. I want to try that so I can use my own hooks and leader. Hopefully I can find em and post some positive results next week.

rblucky2
03-03-2008, 06:14 PM
so how is the chip rigged.glued to the leader? to the hook? glued, soldered,fastened??? Maybe a pic of one?

crowbar1
03-03-2008, 07:09 PM
The ones at Benicia bait are attached to the hook with what looks like clear shrink tube. They sell them for just under $6.00 ea. That price includes the whole leader. I fished 4 rods this last weekend, 2 with the chip, 2 without. I had 2 pulldowns in the first 3 hours. both were on echip leaders. Too bad the wind came up huge, it forced me to leave.

Curtis at benicia bait said he has sold well over 500 of these things.

animal
03-03-2008, 07:38 PM
I saw this product being used on a sturgeon fishing show it was up north in the sac river. the one they were showing you installed yourself , they looked like they were in a very small rubber tub, that the guide was installing like a worm to the top of the hook . they used it with live bait "ghost shrimp" i believe it is supposed to put off a signal of some kind that gives a dead bait the allusion of life ::)

ps fw didnt have them

sturgenchaser
03-04-2008, 05:45 PM
fished four rods at m.b.f. two with chips and two old school mono leaders ...the chips caught all three shakers ...the mono caught the 48 " keeper .... more hits on chips ......

Jeremiah_Claar
03-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Okay, im sold! Benicia bait and tackle here i come... ;D

1elkaholic2
03-04-2008, 06:48 PM
Outdoor Sportsman in Stockton had the kind with the tubing to attach it to a leader / hook. They had two sizes in three packs for $14. I figure what the heck, I need all the help I can get!!!

Intimidator
03-05-2008, 06:36 AM
See them at WWW.protroll.com

jinro
03-06-2008, 01:07 PM
ok lets find out. im going out today. as in 10 mins im going to c-biscuits and see if i can put my hands on this echip.

place: napa river--in between the towers.
bait: ghost--grass combo

if i get a hold of this "e-chip" i'll record it and take pictures if anything happends.

jeff.

RENOBOYS
03-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Waiting patiently w/ credit card in hand. Getting ready to stock up for the upcoming venture

jinro
03-06-2008, 11:09 PM
okay.

got to the bait shop at c-buscuits to buy some bait. talked to chris about the e-chip he says, he doesnt carry it but he's going to venture into it. go to the launched look really good with high clouds.

go to the towers with only one other boat around. fished for an hour for a whole lotta nothing, until the winds started to blow. called it quits for a whole lotta nothing.

all in all, today was a total bust!!!

jeff

metalmouth
03-07-2008, 05:06 AM
An E chip is a metal tube with a ceramic ball in it. It requires erratic motion to work as the ball has to keep striking the end of the tube. It was never designed for bait fishing and even when attached to trolling lures the results are spotty at best. How do you plan on making it work when fishing in a stationary spot? ::) :-/ 8-)

Intimidator
03-07-2008, 06:15 AM
The e-chip will improve your catch.
You need every advantage when your out there.
It's worth a try a shoot run two poles one with one without and just put it to the test.

Capt. Mike

metalmouth
03-07-2008, 06:21 AM
OK Mike, why don't you explain how the echip which requires erratic motion to work is going to work for bait fishing. The ball has to strike the end of the tube with the force of a working lure to emit a sound. Where is the forceful motion going to come from????
This is a huge gimmick. If it was battery operated and could emit a sound other than from high speed motion I could see it, maybe? ::)

Fishin_G
03-07-2008, 09:08 AM
Ive used em salmon fishing in the bay. I outfished my bro and dad, but then I always outfish them. The echip is supposed to generate an electric pulse. As an electical engineer I can tell ya this could be done without too much force. Im still not convinced that an occasional pulse would help attract sturgeon, but I still think I'll give it a try.

Intimidator
03-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Thnaks MM for the soap box on the E-Cip.
You have stated "erratic" motion.
Ok so with that said how much "erratic" motion is created with the tides?
Do sturegon eat with there eyes? I would have to say they feed by smell, touch and yes sound and even by a electric pulse.
Now I would have to say if you were fishing it in a glass of water it would not emit any kind of pulse.
In the Bays with the tides and yes in the river with the tides and curents.
You bet these things are working in these kind of conditions.
If you don't belive in them then don't use them.

Capt. Mike

metalmouth
03-07-2008, 10:59 AM
I've been experimenting with them for years. You are welcome to try anything you like but it you play with them you can see what kind of motion it takes to activate the unit. Just my thoughts.

MM

timetofish
03-07-2008, 11:57 AM
If you fish with live bait what's the point of a e-chip? :-? I'll save my money for the live shrimp!!

kooldadj510
03-07-2008, 05:09 PM
i just purchased a few e-chips. after looking at them and seeing how they work, i dont see how they would work in the vertical position (up and down) there is a small ball inside which needs to roll back and forth to make the sound. but if you hold it horizontaly (flat side to side) the ball rolls back and forth with any small side to side movement. so i think if you could mount it horizontaly it would work much better. i am going out this weekend gunna give em a shot

DonnerDon
03-07-2008, 07:16 PM
The e chip is a pro troll product. You can buy single units or kits of three from the pro troll web site. I have also seen them at Cabelas in Reno. The single kit comes with the e-chip, shrink tub and a barbell that can be used for attaching to lures. I have not used the e chip on a hook but have used the pro troll lures with the chip. Seems to work pretty good for me.

fish_killer
03-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Where can you get the kit from? I want to try the bait set up for sturggies. I've not found any here in Sac except for the lures and Salmon rigs..

fusionstar
03-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Put one on your hook (with bait of course) and twitch your rod every couple minutes if theres no current to move the ball. And if you get a bite within a minute or two after the twitch then the echip is perhaps more than a gimmick. But I don't know a single person who fishes sturgeon with a moving bait.
Except when I had my cousin out first time sturgeon fishing.. he saw one jump and tied on a huge popper...