PDA

View Full Version : Lake Shasta Sturgeon

mrsockeye
03-03-2008, 09:05 PM
Has anybody out there caught one, or heard of anybody catching one? There is a story around the campfire once in a while of a guy catching one. Does anybody want to validate this with some facts? They must be in there. I've seen signs at the lake telling anglers how to identify greens from whites. Thought this might interest some of you guys. How about lake Del Valle, I hear they're in there too.

WesternStriper
03-03-2008, 09:12 PM
You also forgot Lake Oreville...

Jerrdirt
03-03-2008, 10:23 PM
And San Pablo Dam.

CraigVM62
03-04-2008, 01:20 AM
I was living down in Redding the year the record was set for Lake Shasta. I think it was just under 200 lbs and around 8' in length around 1977-78
A few years later I worked on the lake at a house boat marina. I could not recall hearing of anyone catching a single one. Granted very few target them.

NorKalkiller
03-04-2008, 08:44 AM
if u can find them they are no doubt monsters read an artical in a mag kinda like the sniffer coulple of guys caught 4 or 5 in one day useing shad would like to try my self they are there but locating them in such a vast unchanging body of water would be the tough part

Cal.Kellogg
03-04-2008, 08:59 AM
They are in there...I've marked them on my sonar up in the Pit River Arm...Cal Kellogg

mrsockeye
03-04-2008, 06:38 PM
I don't know if they really are targetable in there. I believe that most people incidentally catch them while catfishing. I never thought about them being in Oroville. They probably are in Folsom and Natoma too.

Kneedeep
03-07-2008, 02:40 PM
They are in there...I've marked them on my sonar up in the Pit River Arm...Cal Kellogg
I saw one that had to be 10 to 12 feet long and probably 300 to 400 pounds, right where the squaw leads off from the pit. I was trolling the shore line of the squaw and saw the sturgeon come out of the water like a sub, nose up and came down with a huge splash. Only about half of the fish came out of the water and it rolled on it's side before falling back into the water. I saw the diamonds and knew right away what it was. Later that week I also saw pictures at Silverthorn marina of a couple sturgeon that had been caught by a guy who has a tackle shop in Redding.

pulper80
03-08-2008, 12:36 PM
Since they constantly pump in water from the Delta into Del Valle, there is no question there are a few little guys in there. Lake Oroville and Shasta are a bit different, I think several sturgeon got landlocked there when then dams were being built, and some have reached enormous sizes at this point. However if you are going to target them, you will be sorely disappointed. There just isn't enough of them to have an exciting 700 hours of fishing :)

***Heresay alert*** - Take it for what it's worth.
My old roommate said he had a buddy who's team would do work on the dam at Oroville about a hundred feet underwater. He said one time they got really spooked because a sturgeon swam very close to them who's head was about the size of a guy's torso.

jcarman
03-08-2008, 03:36 PM
I have a friend that is a hard-hat diver for the Navy. He and his crew were attempting to recover a body several years ago from Englebright lake. They marked several large objects on Sonar near the dam and made a deep dive to explore. What they found were several very large sturgeon in that area. He said they were "VERY LARGE"! [smiley=shocked.gif]Never heard of any being caught there however!

530hoghunter
03-08-2008, 04:48 PM
I seen one jump at shasta and bullards bar and heard storys about them diving down at few lakes and seeing eyes as big as there hands.

mrsockeye
03-08-2008, 08:40 PM
When I was a kid swimming in Lake Shasta, my parents would always tell me that I had to look out for the sturgeon, they like to eat little boys. I'd like to meet up with one of those sturgies now and see what happens. ;)