PDA

View Full Version : Flourocarbon leader for sturgs

lawski14
03-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Im not sure if this was discussed already, but does anyone use flourocarbon leaders instead of steel or mono? *

I saw one of those saltwater fishin shows this weekend and they were using 60# flourocarbon leaders for sailfish...

I was just thinkin this may work for sturgies too...

and if anyone has used them, do you feel a sturgie is less shy around flourocarbon than with steel? *or not really a difference?

And do they twist up more or less than regular mono?

I currently make my own steel leaders, but if flourocarbon is less visibile, heck, why not?

thanks in advance (and if this was discussed before, anyone have a link?)

RENOBOYS
03-03-2008, 10:35 AM
I have heard of guys using 50# Braid for their leaders, due to them being more "flexible" than the steel. I am anxious to see the input for this one too.

lawski14
03-03-2008, 10:40 AM
I tried braid, but it kept tangling up. thats why i switched over to steel.

Cal.Kellogg
03-03-2008, 10:43 AM
I use 60 to 80 pound mono leaders....Flourocarbon is expensive. It is nearly invisible to fish. That is why those guys were using it for billfish, but visibility is not an issue for sturgeon...I'd go with the cable your are using now or some standard mono such as P-Line CXX or Trilene Big Game.....Save the dough you'd spend for flouro.....Cal Kellogg

*Deltadog*
03-03-2008, 11:26 AM
100 lb. mono.....
Dog

RENOBOYS
03-03-2008, 11:29 AM
100# Mono--

Dog, do you feel that the sturgy can "sense" the stiffness in the steel leader?

BIG_ONE
03-03-2008, 02:38 PM
sturgeon can sense anything, they aren't line shy like any other ordinary fishes only...

RENOBOYS
03-03-2008, 02:42 PM
I was thinking of going w/ some heavy mono. But if you go too heavy, you might as well be using steel.

animal
03-03-2008, 08:25 PM
I thought they picked up on the wire cause it was metal ? if it's a visual thing i would stick with the wire for sure . I tried heavy mono but got tired of tying the knots and like reno said its bigger in size
i would try heavy braid if it dosnt knot up :-/

mrsockeye
03-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Unless the flurocarbon smells better than wire or heavy duty mono, I doubt that you will see any difference other than more fish breaking off. I don't think flurocarbon has the abrasion resistance that real heavy duty mono like Maxima or Berkley has. The visibility should matter. They are basically blind.

Jeremiah_Claar
03-03-2008, 09:21 PM
Flourocarbon is very abrasion resistant, super clear, kink resistant, and is heavy. So it helps keep your bait down. Ive never tied knots with this stuff, nor have i ever seen anyone attempt to. Just like making steel leaders i used to crimp the little metal tubes over it. But now i just use dacron and call it a day.

donzitroller
03-05-2008, 10:15 PM
I tried heavy mono but got tired of tying the knots
Crimp it..

I don't think using fc for sturgie leader is advantageous from a visial aspect, I think they see worse than I do. If it helps boost your confidence though, then by all means fc is the way to go. I run 100# P-Line mono. Crimped.

lawski14
03-06-2008, 06:01 AM
See, you learn somethin new each day on these boards...

Now that I know sturgies have poor eyesight, I will stick with the steel leader. Its fairly cheap, its easy, and fun to make your own leaders.

There is a small challenge threading a pile on them, especially with the crimp, and i guess mono has an advantage here.

maybe i'll go back to mono one of these days, but steel has worked well for me.

I only asked the question earlier if FC was worth tryin (before I knew they had bad vision).

Thanks sniffers. SNIFF ON!

hellrazor
03-08-2008, 08:27 AM
I have used steel leaders primarily for sturgeon because they never tangle and are extremely reliable and last a long, long time. However, we have caught quite a few sturgeon using mono leaders. This is because the sturgeon were caught while we were striper fishing. In fact, the largest fish ever landed on my boat was caught on 25lb test trilene and it was a 94 inch hen that was fat with eggs. It took two hours to get to the boat and was happily returned to the river. I have never lost a sturgeon from leader failure whether it be mono or cable but If I am going to put my money on a leader it will always be cable. I have confidence in it that means alot to me when I am on the water for hours on end with nothing to show and. the pull-down happens

dimpala95
03-08-2008, 10:08 AM
Another thing that hasn't been mentioned about FC is it's brittle hence the crimping = no knots.

fish_killer
03-08-2008, 05:13 PM
I use 100# PP Braid... It doesn't knot up on me and it is hard to cut without a sharp knife so its gonna take a sharp ars diamond to cut it also...
Theres something about using stiff metal leaders that I don't like... I can't believe that in some cases it does not tip a fish off that there is something foreign and inedible in their mouths.
Also I have a a couple of friends who've crimps have failed recently on store bought leaders.. :'(

metalmouth
03-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Dacron and Mono won't permanently scar and cut an oversize fish. Braid will. Not a very good choice for the fish. ::)

fish_killer
03-08-2008, 07:07 PM
Dacron and Mono won't permanently scar and cut an oversize fish. Braid will. Not a very good choice for the fish. ::)
Interesting... I didn't think about that. So that also goes for steel?

metalmouth
03-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Coated steel doesn't cut but exposed wire does.