PDA

View Full Version : 97 and 88 INCH STURGEON

fishmaster
02-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Took my dad out sturgeon fishing on saturday. He hasn't been out for a few years. Took him to a spot just west of the powerlines where I have been graphing alot of fish. Got set up with the usual ghost/grass combo.Waited and waited and waited, nothing. Then the outgoing tide started and PUMP...PUMP...PUMP........WHAM, FISH ON! Only it was on my pole. After over 30 minutes of fighting this fish we get it up against the boat mark the side of the boat where the fish finally ended. 97 inches. The biggest fish of my life.The fish had both hooks in it mouth so we had to noose it, cut the hooks and released it unharmed. After I quit shaking from the adrenalin rush we headed back to anchor up again. Got the rods set up again. 15 minutes later...PUMP...PUMP...PUMP.......BAMM!!!! My dads got one on. He tells me this one seems like a keeper. No sooner did he say that the fish took off on a 100 yard run."PULL THE ANCHOR" he yelled as he tried to keep the fish from spooling him. So we pulled the anchor and gave chase.It didnt take him long to figure out this one was oversized too.It took about a half hour to get this one to the boat as well, then it decided to go straight to the bottom and sit there like a log.It gave my dad enough time to gain some energy back then with a few good heaves he was able to get him off the bottom. It only took a few more minutes and we had the beast boat side. Quick measurement 88 inches, cut the hooks and bye, bye. We both caught the biggest sturgeon of our lives saturday. I fish almost every weekend, with many people. One of the few times I get to take my dad. And a trip we will remember for a lifetime.

RENOBOYS
02-17-2008, 07:13 PM
NICE!!!-- where are the pics??? i would love to see these monsters

Kneedeep
02-17-2008, 07:20 PM
Perfect timing. :) It was meant to be. Great to hear a happy story like that. :)

metalmouth
02-17-2008, 07:25 PM
Seems like the people who fished with family did great this weekend.
Awesome report!

MM

fernley_tim
02-17-2008, 07:33 PM
Congrats fishmaster, sturgeon in the delta and the bay has been hot 8-)I guess fish and game should rethink their fish counts :-?

fishmaster
02-17-2008, 07:36 PM
The pics definately dont do these fish justice. It was NOOSE,CLIP, CLICK, SEE YA! Here they are.... My 97"
* * * * * * http://usera.imagecave.com/fishmaster/marksmonstersturgeon.JPG * * *

My dads 88"

* * * * * * * *http://usera.imagecave.com/fishmaster/dadsmonstersturgeon.JPG

RENOBOYS
02-17-2008, 07:42 PM
flippin sweet !!!!! they don't do it justice, but nice fish!!!! i am jealous

fishmaster
02-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Mongo, F&G was 50 yards from us in there boat watching my dad fight his fish. my friend in another boat told me he had seen a seal tearing apart an undersized sturgeon where he was fishing.

HUND
02-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Very cool [smiley=yahoo.gif]

I'm taking my Dad next time !! ;D

Seon
02-18-2008, 06:59 AM
Awsome!

doneli
02-18-2008, 10:09 AM
fishmaster as you said...a fishing trip to remember the rest of your life..congratulations!!! great report nice pictures

-doneli-

STURIPER
02-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Nice catch!

DinoBlaster
02-19-2008, 12:30 AM
Sweeet Dude!! ;)

firetrout
02-19-2008, 08:28 AM
Hey what is it with you! First it's the over grown sturgeon then 2 days later it 23 fish at Del Valle. :o :o

When you told me on the radio about that I thought you were just reporting that someone up there picked them up. I did not hear it clearly it was you. Those are monsters. I never fished up that area. I just started this year for sturgeon. Did get a couple small ones when Tman took me out to Benicia to teach me the ropes.

That picture of your dad show the size quite well.

Great work . You are the Fishmaster. ;D

ibanezax
02-21-2008, 10:29 AM
:)
What a great story. I'm sure theres more to come , keep fishing! ;D

C-dub
02-22-2008, 04:22 PM
Awesome, that is what it is all about. I think Ineed give my pops a call and get out there.

Newty
02-22-2008, 06:19 PM
Nice fish :o! I hope I can get my dad hooked up with his first Sturgy this year. Great report!