PDA

View Full Version : MORE MPAs besides the existing and proposed ones??

Toxic_Waste
12-12-2007, 12:31 PM
Well, yesterday I saw a small note pinned to the bulletin board over at Moss Landing Harbor. It was alerting fishermen to a meeting to be held tomorrow (Thursday, Dec. 14.. 8:00 a.m. (for sign-in) at the Hilton Garden Inn, 1000 Aguajito Road (Presidio Room), Monterey.

It is a meeting of the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary Advisory Council, regarding "the need for Marine Protected Areas in federal waters." In other words, the state MPAs are not enough and they want more and more areas off limits (or restricted) to fishing.

Here is a URL you can go to for some info:

http://montereybay.noaa.gov/intro/advisory/advisory.html

There you will find draft agendas for two meetings. There is one on Thursday and one on Friday, but the Friday meeting does not allow for public comment. On Thursday, the MPA discussion begins at 10:15 a.m. and runs until 4:45 p.m. Public comment is not allowed until after dinner, at 6 p.m.

I am not seeing that this meeting to propose an extension of MPAs out into federal waters is being advertised. If public comment is being accepted, then it stands to reason that this Thursday meeting would have been advertised to the public so they'd know! The only thing I have seen anywhere is that handmade note prepared by a fisherman and stuck onto the bulletin board.

Has anyone else heard of this? I only saw this note one day ago.