PDA

View Full Version : Bank fishing rods and sinker weight

Bankbonker
01-29-2008, 11:43 PM
read the threads on tackle and still have this question. I'm fishing Puget Sound rivers in WA. For summer fishing in low water, I have an 8'-6" Ugly Stick Lite with a nice sensitive tip. This pole is fine for sinkers up to about 8 0zs., but in winter when the water is way up we need 10-12 ozs. or more to hold bottom. To handle this weight sinker I've picked up a 7'-0" Ugly stick. The problem is it has kind of a pool cue tip and I'm afraid I'm missing bites. I've read you get a lighter bite from sturgy in winter due to the cold water. How to I handle the trade-off between tip beef for handling sinker weight and the resulting lack of sensitivity? :o

FishingTone
01-30-2008, 08:37 AM
A 7’ rod for bank fishing? You need at least 10’ to 13’ with 1oz-8oz lures/weight ratio to handle the weights you’re using from shores.
You don’t want to use shorter rods from shore do to casting distance and fighting/handling them...a shorter rods are good for boat fishing.
I think all sturgeons bites are light bites regardless in any seasons.

tdekens
01-30-2008, 10:54 AM
Bankbonker, I used to fish those rivers when i lived in Bremerton.
I use an ugly stick tiger rod. It has all the back bone but a sensitive tip for bites even in strong currents. From bank I have been using 6 to 8 ounces and as long as I use a slider the bites show. Maybe you didnt get the right model?
2Shakes

Bankbonker
01-30-2008, 02:11 PM
2Shakes:

when i got the 7 footer i got the tiger rod, rated for 20-50 pound test. my 8'-6" is an ugly stick light composite rated for 12-30 pound test. i'm fairly new to sturgeon fishing. maybe i'm just used to salmon mooching and the kind of tip those rods have.

Bb

BIG_ONE
01-30-2008, 02:59 PM
Depends how wide the river is...if its pretty wide i recomended 10-15ft ugly stick, 10-14 oz if current is strong like the sac river, other wise ugly tiger or ugly custom rod will do :D

*Deltadog*
01-31-2008, 07:44 AM
The 12' ugly has a very sensitive tip. The best for river fishing of its size class.
Dog