PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable rig

fysshurmun
01-26-2008, 01:37 AM
Just thought I'd share a rig that I've learned from others and have had good results.

This rig is similar to what you'd see in tackle shop, but it's different in one aspect - it can be adjusted.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/5544/adjustablerig0xf5.jpg

At the very top (right on the first picture) I tie a perfection knot (main leader which is connected to main line from your reel.) No need for swivel here since the main line is already tied to a snap swivel.

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/2979/adjustablerig1xc1.jpg

The middle and main part of the rig consists of a *boom*, two small beads, a larger bead, some small gauge copper wire, a snap swivel tied to the leader snelled to the hook. Note that there's more copper wire wrapped at the bottom of the boom than the top, since the bottom is where the stress will be. Don't put too many wraps at the bottom, because you want it to provide just enough resistance for hook set but loose enough that it will slip, when a fish really tugs on it.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/2921/adjustablerig2kt3.jpg

At the bottom, I tied another snap swivel to the main leader, which is where the sinker goes.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/8236/adjustablerig3rn2.jpg

I use:

_ 150lbs mono for the main leader.
_ a good size boom.
_ 2 small beads (green) that fit snugly on the main leader.
_ 1 lager bead (red) to prevent the boom from bending too much.
_ 100lbs snap swivel for the hook leader (attached to the boom.)
_ 65lbs snap swivel for the sinker at the bottom.
_ 80lbs mono for hook leader.
_ 7/0 octopus hook

You can use better snap swivels and leader materials than the ones I use. I use only 50lbs braid, so, I don't see a need for better materials.

The main advantages of this rig is:
_ the boom can be adjusted to fit the actual length of hook leader
_ when the stress is put on the hook leader, the boom will start to slide, and eventually the fish will end up in a position lower than the sinker, reducing the risk of sinker getting snagged.
_ the larger mono of the main leader is a lot nicer to grab onto than the hook leader, when you land a feisty fish.

Seon
01-26-2008, 08:38 AM
Just curious, what's the largest Dino have you caught with this set-up?

fishin_adiction
01-26-2008, 08:49 AM
does the wieght u use snag the bottom a lot? looks pretty cool, does it get thrashed when it slides down the main line, or is it easy to put back in place, still pretty cool lookin setup, lots different then everyone else, wonder if that is the key,,,,, kinda like bass fishin, when they not bitin what u throw, change the way u throw it?? may b on to somethin eh? [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

fysshurmun
01-26-2008, 11:17 AM
The sputnik weight I use is a lot better than the pyramid type in my experience. The claws, when hung up on something, can be freed, as you can see, the green tubings act as rollers allowing the claws to sort of snap off.

After the boom slides towards the sinker, like after landing a fish, I'd just slide it back up. And if it gets a bit loose, I simply hold on to the ends of the bottom copper wire and twist. That tightens it up nicely. It won't scratch the main leader, because the copper wire by itself is smooth and soft enough that it just forms neat coils around the main leader.

Casting? I cast it the same way I cast a slider rig. Don't notice much of a difference in distance. I've done overhead and off the ground casting with it. Worked fine. I would not recommend Hatteras casting with this rigs, the boom might get bent out of shape.

Largest dino? I've caught 60" with it. People I go fishing with from time to time have landed oversize on that rig with no problems.

fishin_adiction
01-26-2008, 11:28 AM
interestin, it seams to keep bait up off the bottom??? and if soo do you find urself puting it at different spots on the mainline to get different depths out of it?? thanks for the interesting setup, might have to try it out, derby????? oh yea

goldnstone
01-26-2008, 12:14 PM
Ok im prety new to the Sturgeon seen. I have just fished with the typical set up I can buy at the ait shop. I have heard that this isnt the way to go. (steel cable, beed between two hooks) 7/0 hook?? I thought this is the reg. set up.
Now this set up is it typical set up for sturgeon? It looks tottaly forigen to me.
I did fish the catch and release tourni on the 19. I went out on a limb and tied up a single 7/0 on 20" braid 80 lbs test. Used the typ. slider above the hook. Actually used an egg 1/2 oz on the leader to keep in on the bottom.
Am I way out of line here or what?
Im not saying this set up looks crazy or nothing, but it does look different.
Again rember I am new to this type of fishing. I am trying to learn all I can about set ups.
Any help would be great!
Thanks
tight lines

STURGEONSTOMPER
01-26-2008, 12:31 PM
Looks like too much work to me :-[

Lucky_Strike__Rich
01-26-2008, 12:42 PM
I guess I am old fashion. I just like a 20" leader, single 6/0 hook with a half ounce slider 2"inch from the hook. Works pretty good for me but use what you feel confortable with and have confidence in. Rich

Allen
01-26-2008, 05:32 PM
Interesting design.

It looks more like a salmon/ striper setup.

And to my eye, it looks like something that could get "fouled" during casting, at least the way I cast...LOL

Glad it works for you, but I'll stick to a conventional setup. Thanks for sharing an Option.

Allen

innovate
01-27-2008, 09:28 AM
I was praising this style of rig almost 3 years ago and all the "experts" shot it down because they thought that the rig fails to keep the bait on the bottom.

Personally, I've watched this rig OUTFISH sliding sinker rigs on the Old Sacramento River. The last year I fished the bank on a frequent basis (2004), every last fish that I saw landed (except for a couple stragglers) in Hood were landed on a high-lo.

Roland

Yaker
01-27-2008, 09:55 AM
This is the type of rig you'd need in big moving water. For example, I can see this working real well on SPB during a big out going tide.

Allen
01-27-2008, 10:32 AM
Interesting Roland.

I am a boat fisherman, and know you (used to be?) bank fish, and I suspect this rig is better for bank fishing, ie cast out a little upriver from your spot, pull in some line when it stops to ,set the satellite looking weight, and keeping the line tight the bait would be downstream of your main line.

So to me, this is a good bank fishing rig vs boat fishing....

Might be worth trying it on my second rod.

Thanks again for the idea.

Allen

ZACK
01-27-2008, 04:35 PM
For leader material I use 90 lb coated wire (it will last longer and will not kink like lighter wire after multiple landed fish and fish aren't leader shy). Single hook for Roe, and double hooks for shrimp, or combo baits. I cut a piece 24 to 30 inches and go up from the hooks 6 inches and smash a crimp on the wire. I then slide on a 1/2 oz egg weight. Next I go up around 8 inches and smash on another crimp. Next I slide on a red plastic snap to attach my weight. I end by crimping a loop at the top to attach to my swivel on my main line. I like to have my sliding weight snap on the wire as it gives me a foot of extra protection from the fish on the main line and it also keeps my weight from fouling on the main line during long cast. This will occationally happen if you have the slider above your leader and on your main line and if it is fouled and you get FISH ON good luck landing that fish. ZACK!

innovate
01-27-2008, 06:09 PM
Interesting Roland.

I am a boat fisherman, and know you (used to be?) bank fish, and I suspect this rig is better for bank fishing, ie cast out a little upriver from your spot, pull in some line when it stops to ,set the satellite looking weight, and keeping the line tight the bait would be downstream of your main line.

So to me, this is a good bank fishing rig vs boat fishing....

Might be worth trying it on my second rod.

Thanks again for the idea.

Allen

Allen,

I used to frequent the banks before the Yolo Side of the Sacramento River was closed by the reclamation districts. I write reports for two websites, which I cannot mention here. And yes, you are correct, the rigs work better for bank fishing.

Roland

fysshurmun
01-28-2008, 01:00 AM
I fish primarily from the bank, so, the ability to cast far is important. One of the problems I get with the slider set up is the (50lbs braid) main line wrapping about my leader (80lbs mono.)

With this rig, I experienced very few incidents of hook leader wrapping around main leader. During its airborne flight, the sinker would be pulling the rest of the setup, and the bait would be at an angle to the main leader. About 50% of the time, the aerodynamics of it all would somehow create a rotational force which slowly spins the hook and bait around the main leader, if you use a decent ball bearing swivel between the main leader and line from your reel.

With the slider rig, during flight, the swivel in between the hook leader and the swivel and main line is almost 100% non-functional. The hook leader has no pivot point to spin around, and that explains the high percentage of stiffer hook leader being wrapped around with softer main line.

The advantages of this set up, I must say, are mainly beneficial to people fishing from the bank and not boats. And it is true, the more pieces there are in a set up, the more points for failures. So, take your pick. :)

ZACK
01-28-2008, 08:42 AM
fysshurmun,
my leaders do not wrap around my main line also due to the slider being on the leader about a foot below the snap and not the main line and I believe my leader does a much better job of keeping bait nailed to the bottom to be easily consumed by feeding fish. Would you like a pic? ZACK!

bayareafishermen
01-28-2008, 09:11 AM
wow looks kindy of confusing.. :o

DinoBlaster
01-28-2008, 08:13 PM
Calling Rube Golgberd Come in Rube! ;D

fysshurmun
01-29-2008, 12:18 AM
Zack,

I know what you're talking about. That's what I use when I'm out there fishing and need something that can be tied quickly. And it works for me about 80-90% of the time. I still get the line twist problem from time to time. What I use in that case is:

- swivel then
- 2ft of 150lbs mono with 2 beads then a slider, another 2 beads, then
- lock snap swivel then
- swivel tied to a 2ft hook leader

The total length is ~4ft, which is a bit long for overhead casting using a 10' 6" rod. And if I hang the bait (hook) on one of the spikes of my sputnik weight, occasionally, the hook leader would somehow loop onto itself and form a knot - something I absolutely don't want to happen.

I guess, with a little bit of finesse, you can cast it without any line twist at all. I seem to always pick the worst days to go fishing, when it's windy. So, I try to get as much help as I can from a rig.

If you think it's too much hardwares involved, wait until you see the torpedo I built for delivering and dropping bait (up to) 1500ft from shore. ;D

ZACK
01-29-2008, 10:22 AM
Only thing I would suggest is get rid of the two beads with the slider and maybe keep one on each side of it. Also Cut that leader that has your hooks attached down to 12 inches. Two feet is over the top and unnecessary. Adding an egg weight on the leader about 4 to six inches above the hook would be helpful as well to keep the hooks from flying everywhere when casting and more importantly slow down your bait offering in bigger tides and keep it right on the bottom. With a leader like this total length would be between 24 and 30 inches and with your surf rod you should be able to cast it like a rocket even though long cast aren't usually necessary when bank fishing in most places for sturgeon. ZACK!

fysshurmun
01-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Good info. I'll try that next time.

Thanks, Zack.

gomezfish
01-29-2008, 09:22 PM
ZACK u gotta picture of your rig?