PDA

View Full Version : OA area

goldnstone
01-22-2008, 04:35 PM
Im not looking for exact locations, but Im not one bit familar with this area. I`ve heard you can only go so close to the area. I`ve also heard that this OA area is a great spot for sturgeon.
Sence My brother inlaw bought this beautiful new 24' North River Sea Hawk I would love to take him out so I can get to the good grounds if you know what I mean.
Sturg fishing is totaly new to me but am willing to take the time to learn. We fished the catch and Release tourni last weekend. Had a great time just didnt know what in the heck to do.
Yes I missed the pump that almost touched the water. Yeah that sucked bad! Im learning.
So any help would be great.
Thanks
Goldnstone

cuhogn
01-22-2008, 06:36 PM
Get a chart of the area and you will see all the shoals and sand bars that are out in front of the airport. If you have a GPS with the charts on it that will be a big help while on the water. If you launch at San Leandro and follow the markers all the way out when you get to the last marker you can head toward the Bay Bridge just keep an eye on the GPS / chart. San Leandro can be a challenge with a low tide in the channel so keep that in mind. Keep an eye on the depths fish are caught in the reports and work areas that meet that criteria.

Globetrouter
01-22-2008, 09:13 PM
San Leandro can be a challenge with a low tide in the channel so keep that in mind.

Really watch your depth finder!!!!! We came in on last Friday with a minus half foot tide and there was less than 3' of water under the boat at certain spots. OH...DO NOT take a short cut through the poles. Start at the very end (#1 & #2) I have seen MANY boats hit the mud and a couple of people almost fly out of their boats. :o. Not to scare you...just be careful and take your time.IMHO

fshrmn
01-22-2008, 09:32 PM
When fishing OA, do you guys ever use MLK shoreline ramp? It seems to be a shorter boat ride to the fishing spot then San Leandro. Also the ramp is free to launch.