PDA

View Full Version : Clarksburg to Hood 1.17.08

lawski14
01-17-2008, 09:07 PM
Hey guys,

I'm posting a report on behalf of my main fishin buddy felix, since he doesnt have internet (but we talk sturgeon almost everyday). Went out Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and today.

Seen a few jumpers, marked a few sturgeon, but no hits or takedowns. Went each day in the morning to lunch time.

Ghost/pile combo.

[smiley=chowtime.gif]

BIG_ONE
01-17-2008, 09:21 PM
Over there at clarksburg down to hood the action is still HOT i believe...people tend to catch em more on the bank for some reason...we landed a couple there too...and 1 last week friday,

eel and night crawler combo or just plain eel ;)

lawski14
01-17-2008, 09:31 PM
Big One, good job on cacthin them sturgies.

did u catch all of them from the bank? eel and nightcrawler, eh? I like that, very interesting. I dont see why not... just dont hear that very often.

Do you happen to know when the busier times were? Like night or day or morning? Thanks bro.

[smiley=bananachaga.gif]

BIG_ONE
01-18-2008, 12:34 AM
Haha yeah i got em all from bank fished, plus i don't have a boat, and it all depends on the tide, they can bite anytime during the day, they usually bite when the tide is starting to rise, and 1 time when the tide is fully high tide, and then 1 time when the tide starting to go out, during high tide you don't really have to throw out far, low tide find a hole and as deep spot as you can find and drop it there and make sure it catches in the hole so it sits, most sturgeons gather by the hole searching for food to come there. and eel and night crawler combo, yeah their the bomb, eels have some blood and oil which last pretty long before you switch bait, probably around 2-4 hrs, unless you can get these giant black eel, which 1 piece of bait last the whole day, and night crawlers, they have that fresh mud smells which i experienced that sturgeon actually picked on fresh mud smells too by making sure the 2 poles r close to ea other as they can and having the bait as close to each other as it can, it usually hit on the eel and night crawler combo more, i'd never had anything that tops it, maybe people just don't use it because they don't try it, i got these night crawler ideas from some elderly fisherman which everyone knows has a lot more experiences ;)

The_Fishing_One
01-18-2008, 07:03 AM
From what i hear:

alot of the asian guys use crawlers, they've hooked up many time to sturgeons while fishing for split tials, this is the story i heard and my brothers swear by the crawlers too....

lawski14
01-18-2008, 07:35 AM
Big One, good info, thanks.

See ya out on the water.

[smiley=helmut.gif]

fishn4me
01-18-2008, 09:03 AM
I was out that way yesterday as well. Started at the free ramp, with no luck. Lots of people for a Thursday. Moved on down the way past Locke and found a nice spot. Had two good take downs but couldn't set the hook in time. Using chovie and ghost combos. Water was moving good in some spots to where even an 8 ounce wouldn't stay put.

Uglystick916
01-18-2008, 10:42 AM
Out there i used 16 ounce weight on my 10 foot pole works pretty good and it stays put where ever you throw it... :)

smithstation
01-18-2008, 11:41 AM
The few times I fishen the snake river in Or/Id for sturgeon night crawlers were the #1 bait. I have never tried them down here. Might bring a box next tile I go out.

BIG_ONE
01-18-2008, 12:05 PM
Yep!!! crawlers still the bomb...heck im asian myself so basically im one of em, well actually i do fish for split tail with them haha so yeah they still the bomb, might plan to go out tomorrow at hood, but i dunno well see... ;)

Seceret_hole
01-18-2008, 05:02 PM
Looks like crawlers are going to make a comeback! Every year it seems like someone mentions a bait that works well and suddenly every tom dick and harry has to use it, Monkey see monkey do I always say. One year its shrimps, then herring, then eel, then salmon roe, now its back to crawlers again, even combos work well. Don't you guys see the pattern here? Sturgeon eat anything that's under their mouth(bottom feeders) ;D I do believe though in the almighty crawler as a popular bait for sturgeon because I seen with my own eyes about ten years back at Lisbon slough where a guy came out and fished garlic scented night crawlers and he was the only guy who caught 2 sturgeon out of the 20+ guys elbow to elbow on the bank that day, In fact he was the only guy who caught any at all. Made me a believer! ;)

BIG_ONE
01-18-2008, 05:47 PM
Yep...crawlers still own, MMMMM!!!! MMMMMM!!!! that fresh mud smell from crawlers ;) still gotta love it...

eel/crawler combo hahaha lol ;D :D ;) [smiley=angling.gif]

gomezfish
01-18-2008, 05:50 PM
sh*t i might go out there tonight and bank it ..so that current rips huh? 8 ounces should do it?

BIG_ONE
01-18-2008, 05:53 PM
8 oz can't hold it if you're fishing from the bank...if you're fishing from the bank you gotta use 10 oz minimum...sometimes 10 oz drift off too, might have to use 12 oz...and if you want you can use 14 and 16 oz...

STURGEONSTOMPER
01-18-2008, 11:33 PM
The few times I fishen the snake river in Or/Id for sturgeon night crawlers were the #1 bait. *I have never tried them down here. Might bring a box next tile I go out.

You did that on purpose ;D