PDA

View Full Version : sturgeon tackle

tabascopete
08-01-2004, 10:06 PM
I plan on doing some sturgeon fishing from the bank this year. I know people use surf rods and large spinning reels for this type of fishing. Any suggestions on which rods and reels are best?

STURGEONSTOMPER
08-06-2004, 10:40 AM
Get a 12 foot ugly stick from wally world and put a tr2000 casting reel from shimano and fill it with 30-40lb stren or maxima use a 10-12 ounce weight with a slider set up with a 4/0 kale hook and a 3 foot leader made from 80lb power pro line. Hope this helps...SS

Lil_Hooker
08-06-2004, 11:44 AM
Got A question for all of you out there which hooks do you perfer for sturgies regular J-hook, circle, or khale. I think it would be real hard to hook a sturgie with a circle or maybe even a khale.

BIG_ONE
01-12-2008, 05:18 AM
If your talking about bank fishing for sturgeon, i know the gear for it, 12ft ugly stick which only 1 kind of ugly stick that makes it, or you can use the 15ft footer, for the reels, i recommend the daiwa bg90(black & gold) spinning reel filled with 80-100lbs test power pro braided, you can use 150lbs too you you want, and use steel leader for your leader line around 2-3ft. for hooks i like the number 7/0 owner hooks, other can be use, and it works as good. you need that kind of heavy duty gears because bank fishing for sturgeon is alot harder to land the fish, especially if you fish down by clarksburg where its a little steeper and has a drop off about 5-10yrds out which you need the rod backbone to lift the fish over that drop off. oh yeah don't forget your slider, and pyrimid sinker 10-14oz. hope this helps ;)