PDA

View Full Version : sensitivity in rod tip

IrishAngler
01-03-2008, 03:54 PM
this old school cat i fish with told me that he likes a firm tip when fishing sturgeon because when its super sensitive like a ugly stick then it sends vibration down the line that the sturgy can feel. It makes sense i was just wondering if it makes that much of a difference. Also he said that he likes to use only mono because its round and braided line is flat therefore when the current rushes past it, it also sends vibrations down the line that the fish can sense. opinions?

STURGEONSTOMPER
01-03-2008, 03:58 PM
No and no, Theres so much going on on the bottom of the river already. You think a lil vibration gonna stop it from eating...No and no ;)

sjshark
01-03-2008, 06:32 PM
I agree with the sturgeon stomper, I caught my first ever sturgeon last year with an ugly stick and my reel was spooled with 65lb. braided line. The braid would help in detecting the bite better maybe because of the no stretch, but it's not as abrasion resistant as mono, that may be a factor if the sturgeon starts rollin on you. Get you a ugly stick setup and some braid you should be alright from shore or boat.

donzitroller
01-03-2008, 07:12 PM
Braid not as abrasion resistant as mono?

They make so many different types of Ugly Stiks, some WAY too heavy for Delta dino hunting. My meat stik is a Tiger BWC/AO 2201 7'0" 1 B M 20-50 with 65# braid, it will handle an oversize with no problem but sometimes I find the tip to be a little stiff during a light bite. If I were going to buy another it would be Tiger Lite BWCL 2200* 7'0" 1 D H 14-40. The one I use for fun is a regular CAL 1101 7'0" 1 F MH 10-25 with 30# braid. I like a lighter tip so that between the action of the balancer and lightness of tip will allow you to see a bite before the fish feels the bite since the braid stretch is minimal when compared to mono. I know there's a huge following of both braid and mono, and some mono purists will say braid is for lazy fishermen.. well, I guess that's true cuz I love my braid. As for Ugly Stiks, the ones I have that do Delta duty are also used for halibut, shark, rockfish, salmon, lings, and albacore. 4 rods. Do I have other rods? Yep, a few or more.. and some that are way more costly than good ol Shakespeares, but you'll never find my boat on the water without at least a few onboard. Somethin to be said about that.

sjshark
01-04-2008, 06:31 AM
Yeah thats what I been told and heard on all the pro fishing shows and people workin in the fishing industry.

donzitroller
01-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Must be true then. My bad.

STURIPER
01-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Must be true then. My bad.

Hahaha!!

Luke
01-04-2008, 08:55 PM
Fenwick Pac Sticks ;)