PDA

View Full Version : Method of Take?

redmt
10-11-2007, 06:28 AM
It is my understanding that a Sturgeon must voluntarily take the presented bait . I have heard quite a few stories of fishermen tying bait to the leader and as soon as they feel a bump on the line , jerking the rod up to snag the fish. I wouldn't think that it would be illegal under the "must voluntarily take the bait" rule.

Cal.Kellogg
10-11-2007, 06:48 AM
Seems like if you get a bump and the fish is hooked in the mouth it meets the criteria for taking the bait voluntarily....I mean that is how we all fish at least with bait....you know ....Wait Wait Wait....dude I'm getting a bite...Wham fish on!! Of course if you stugeon fish like me you Wait Wait Wait Wait Wait Wait Wait....And probably go home skunked.....Well it might not be quite that bad, but then I'm more of a striper guy.....I do love the fight when I get a big 'ol sturgeon on the line though.....

redmt
10-11-2007, 06:54 AM
What I'm hearing is that they are body/head snagged. Certainly if the fish is mouth hooked then anybody would have to call it a legal take. What I'm wondering is if the other method is legal? It seems like it would be a good way for harvesting many fish in a day.

Cal.Kellogg
10-11-2007, 07:02 AM
My understanding is that if the fish is not hooked in the mouth even if it did hit the bait it would be considered foul hooked and you'd have to release it....

redmt
10-11-2007, 07:09 AM
That's what my understanding is also. BUT is it legal to catch them that way, even if it your intent is to release them ?

Cal.Kellogg
10-11-2007, 07:53 AM
I don't know...I don't know how a warden, assuming you were still fishing with bait, would be able to cite you for intent, as long as you didn't retain a foul hooked fish....Seems to me that if your intent was to snag a sturgeon there would be a lot of easier ways to go about it than soaking bait.....

Reel-Lentless
10-11-2007, 08:14 AM
Obviously you haven't fished for Sturgeon because yes when you fill that BUMP as you call it on your line you try and drive the hook because this may be the only bite you get before he drops your bait and yes due to the way Sturgeon feed occasionally you will foul hook one every now and then. Spend the time that alot of us do chasing Sturgeon and tell me that every bite doesn't count. I'm sure there are a few people that foul hook fish and keep them but in my experience the fish that are foul hooked are usually oversized anyway and will be released, Hopefully. Foul hooked Sturgeon are no fun to catch anyways.

Capt Bob

redmt
10-11-2007, 08:18 AM
Obviously you haven't fished for Sturgeon because yes when you fill that BUMP as you call it on your line you try and drive the hook because this may be the only bite you get before he drops your bait

Capt Bob
My question was INTENTIONALLY baiting the LEADER to INTENTIONALLY snag the fish. I'm not talking about incidental snagging but INTENTIONAL snagging. Is it legal?

timetofish
10-11-2007, 08:39 AM
It's in the Reg's: 2.00. Fishing Methods--General.

(a) All fish may be taken only by angling with
one closely attended rod and line or one hand
line with not more than three hooks nor more
than three artificial lures (each lure may have
three hooks attached) attached thereto. Anglers
in possession of a valid two-rod stamp and
anglers under 6 years of age may use up to
two rods in lakes, reservoirs and the Colorado
River District. See District Trout, Salmon and
Special regulations for exceptions.
(b) Snagging is prohibited. Snagging is defined
as impaling or attempting to impale a fish in
any part of its body other than the mouth by
use of a hook, hooks, gaff, or other mechanical
implement. This definition does not include
activities otherwise authorized under these
regulations for the lawful use of a gaff, bow and
arrow, or spear.
(c) It is unlawful to kill, or retain in possession
any fish which has not voluntarily taken the bait
or artificial lure in its mouth. Any fish not taken
pursuant to these regulations, shall be released
immediately back into the water.

Big_Easy
10-11-2007, 10:44 AM
There's your answer right there in the regs! ;)

Hog
10-11-2007, 01:14 PM
I understand your question and I think it would be considered illegal to intentionally snag the fish. I don't understand what the advantage would be of tying your bait to the leader and then hoping to snag the fish as the hook goes by. If the sturgeon is hitting the bait why not just put a hook in it?

jiggity49
10-12-2007, 08:10 AM
I agree what would the advantage be? :-? I don't claim to be anywhere as near a accomplished sturgeon fisherman as many on this site but I have caught a fair share in my day and I have never had one snagged before.

redmt
10-12-2007, 11:30 AM
I agree . If the fish is going to be interested in the bait then why not put it on the hook? I've have heard stories of people trying and successfully snagging them . It didn't make sense to me , so thats why I asked if it was legal. The persons doing the snagging were SUPPOSED to be reputable fishemen.

vallejojoe
10-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Anybody can hook them in the mouth!!!!!!!
catching them some place else is talent ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

SPORTcoupe
10-12-2007, 01:28 PM
Anybody can hook them in the mouth!!!!!!!
I think I speak on the behalf of many when I say that this is not true. :P

~Alan