PDA

View Full Version : senior project help please..????

lunguis
11-15-2005, 09:21 PM
hey guys, im a currently a senior at MIddle COllege High school, it is located at delta college and it is a prgram in which a limited number of students are allowed to enroll in and we do college and high school during our 4 high school years. since i am a "fishing freak" (as my friends call me) i would like a little help here. i am doing my senior research paper in the water quality in california, focusing on the delta, and how it affects fisherman and sportsman in particular. i would like to know what you guys think about the water quality, how it is beneficial to us, or how it affects us, and just general thoughs over all. and if you guys have good web sites or advice i would really really REALLY appreciate it! (and if you could tell me where i could catch a nice fish that helps too... strictly for research purposes!! ;))

vito
11-16-2005, 07:42 AM
There was an aritcle in the Sacramento Bee yesterday describing how the state is launching a program to research the decline in fish populations in the delta. They noted specific concern about the decrease in threadfin shad and striped bass populations. It has been proposed that water treatment outlets - which consistantly kill fish - may be responsible, but some believe the drastic decrease cannot be attributed to that because the amount of fish they kill is consistant each year and does not seem to impact breading populations significantly. This subject; how much $ it is going to cost, how it may or may not impact local fisheries, what is the cause or causes, seems like an interesting topic for a project.

Marine biologists have also discovered female reproductive tissues in male fish that congregate near the water treatment outlets off of the Southern Ca coast (Huntington Beach and Palos Verdes).

Hope this helps.

fishnmike2002
11-16-2005, 10:19 AM
Oh man, you are wading into more of a political study then a true scientific study.

I'm involved with the water quality programs on some of the upstream tributaries of the San Joaquin so I know a bit about it. AS for some of your questions.... Is water quality important??? You bet. How does it effect us? The jury is still out on that one. The Delta is a sink, much of what is applied to the land (both urban and agriculture)eventualy end up in the Delta. Now the concentration of chemical "X" of chemical "Y" may not be enough to harm the fish or critters but when you put the two chemicals together they may have an additive effect that hurts a type of algea which a type of plankton feeds on, which baby shad feed on, which strippers feed on, etc., etc. Or then again, those chemicals may have no effect.

The Delta is such a dynamic water body and we know so little on how all the parts work together that understanding what exactly the problem is, much less how to fix it, has been very difficult. Is water quality an issue? Probably. If we fixed the water quality would the Delta get better? No one knows. There would still be the issues of diversons, invasive species, yound fish being sucked into pumps, etc.

As for some reference materials. Check out the State Water Board website and do a search on TMDL (total maximum daily loads). They are setting a couple of these programs up for both salt and dissolved oxygen in the San Joaquin Delta. Also for chlorphriphos and diazanon in the Sacramento. There should be some good water quality data available for those.

Hope this helps.

FishnMike

lunguis
11-16-2005, 03:16 PM
hey thanks guys this really really helps!!! now i have an idea on where to begin my research!!

fishkiller
11-16-2005, 08:06 PM
8)Go to members list find loves to fish send him a message he knows all about the good the bad the ugly in our water system . 8)

lunguis
11-17-2005, 07:27 AM
i looked up "loves to fish" but there are like 2 "loves to fish" lol.. theres loves2fish, loves-to-fish, lovestofish... etc etc... so how exactly is it?