PDA

View Full Version : Mothball fleet

hqly2001
11-05-2005, 07:51 PM
Fished all day at monthball fleet and martinez today for 1 shaker.. had numerous small striper bite on bullheads.. and caught shaker on bullhead.. i thought that u were suppose to catch big fish on bullheads??
Disaapointing day.. has shad, pile worm and ghost shrimp but each cast would result in stolen bait as the small striper rips up the other baits. no sturgeon..
Trolling was disaapointing also.. no bites on BBR nor Bombers.. What happened to all the fishes I hear about each day..??

By the way, do you guys use anything with the rebel or bombers? I troll with drop weight.. heard people add worm and stuff to bombers.. but dunno how this is done.. does it work.. kinda suprise that not a single hit on lure today..

newtothegame
11-06-2005, 06:02 AM
sorry to hear about a slow day at the fleet ... you might wanna review previous pages in this forum ...great info on trolling depth/speed/rigs etc ...

personally have had good luck like everyone else now days draggin a BBR with a small trickworm or somethin ... it does add to the presentation and it does seem to catch more fish ....

a lot of people use a 3-way swivel with a hairraiser to get the lures down and a bbr on the mainline .....

anyways ... take a peek at the other pages ...good luck!! tight lines~!

hqly2001
11-06-2005, 08:55 AM
Do you have a pic of how the trick worm with BBR looks like?
I've heard of it.. but am not sure of how to put the worm on.. i would love to try it out..

i've searched for it and found no picks of such set up

survivor
11-06-2005, 06:35 PM
;DYou use a Zoom white trick worm on the rear hook. You nose hook it using the barb which faces down. After you put the worm on, put the lure into the water besides the boat and make sure the lure is trolling true. No rolling to either side, just straight and true with a nice wiggle. Troll shallow near the tules in 5 to 10 feet of water, the stripers are shallow when they feed, check the striper sites out for additional hints. Just my 2 cents.
Paul aka Survivor ;D ;D ;D

hqly2001
11-06-2005, 08:45 PM
So i put the worm on the last hook?
do i just put the worm on it directly? i mean is the whole worm suppose to be straight or should half an inch go through the hook or something?

survivor
11-07-2005, 05:35 AM
;D ;DYou put whole white plastic worm on the end hook on the bottom barb of the treble hook. You hook the worm so it hooked through the head and lays straight, do not Texas rig the worm, just simply hook the worm down through the head so it dangles straight down if you're holding the lure straight up and down. Hook the worm in about a 1/4 of an inch, again on the barb which is on the bottom of the treble hook.
Paul aka Survivor

hqly2001
11-07-2005, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the info paul!

I would love to see a pic.. i think i got the idea.. but would love to actual see how one look like..
i've had a hard time finding Zoom trick worms.. can i just get any white 4" long skinny plastic worm? bass worms?

so i just put the worm straight down on the last treble hook..just put it straigth down on 1 barb or 2 of the barbs?

the worm's tail will extend about 2-3 inches further than the tail of the lure right?
what color works best? white?
do the spin tail work? striper tail for hairraisers?

dandeuce
11-07-2005, 02:00 PM
hqly2001 ,

Where did you troll ? Next time your out try trolling in the sloughs , troll 15-20' from shore if your boat will allow . I do real good in 8-12' of water and also give your BBR and Bombers a rest , try using a Rattletrap instead . Half to 3/4 oz. ones work fine , my best luck has been with silver/blue . Others colors will work , one time my wife used an real ugly yellow/black trap ( her idea ) and caught a nice limit !

Good Luck , Dan

hqly2001
11-07-2005, 02:06 PM
Hi Dan,

I tried mothball fleet and slong the shore of martinez to the carquinez bridge..used bomers.. BBR and rattletrap.. even soem swim bait and nothing was working.. anchored an
bait fish and has a couple of hits on bullheads.. but no swallows.. just zip then gone.. zip then off.. not a good day.. maybe the worm will help!

survivor
11-07-2005, 04:54 PM
;D ;D ;DSome pictures are worth a 1000 words, I hope this helps you, it's tough to try to explain how your worm should look. Also I'm showing you a hoochie addition you can also do. The first thing is to upgrade your hooks, take a look, any questions?????? ;D ;D ;D ;D
Paul aka Survivor
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/582/100_1472.JPG
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/582/100_1473.JPG
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/582/100_1475.JPG
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/582/100_1477.JPG

fishkiller
11-07-2005, 06:38 PM
8)Paul those pics that he sees are gonna get him something hooked for life trollin great job.Cant wait till he comes back with a 2 page story how he hooked this monster that towed him around. ;D 8)

donzitroller
11-07-2005, 08:03 PM
Great info! Put it to use and you will catch more fish! The hoochie is a great idea by itself. The worm trailer is a Delta standard and has been for many years. A dropper jig not only helps get your BBR down deeper, it is also an effective lure as you will sometimes catch as many on that as you do the BBR. I especially like to run the dropper with a neutral buoyant Bomber in rainbow trout pattern. Another good one is a deep diving Yozuri in rainbow. A little more expensive, but much more realistic. As was said above, change those hooks with what was shown in the pic and you'll get more fish to stick! Most importantly, let us know how it works for you!

FISH ON!

hqly2001
11-07-2005, 11:24 PM
Thanks a ton for the pics and advice guys!
I had an idea of how it looked and the pic just confirms it!
Now i just need to find some trick worms.. non of the walmart.. sportmarts carry them..

Do the spinning tail worms work? the ones u put on hairaisers?

How long are the worms that you use?

Finally, if i can't find the trick worms.. what are good alternatives? the bass worms?

I vow to do well the next time out..

my guess is that the lure will still swim normal right?

and if i add a dropper it shouldn't affect the movement eh?

Pics are worth a 1000 fishes!

survivor
11-08-2005, 06:44 AM
;D ;DTrick worms are made by Zoom Products. I know all the Fisherman's Warehouses carry them, Longs Drugs may have them. I don't know where you live, just call around and find who may carry them. You don't want to use a grub type worm, due to the wiggly tail may offset the action of the broken back Rebel. The trick worms are 6 inches long. I think a 6 inch white straight worm will work just as well. If think Strike King sells those in a special long stretchy plastic. Just try to get a straight white or pearl colored worm. Just my 2 cents.
Survivor ;D ;D ;D

slamminsalmon
11-08-2005, 09:14 AM
Personally, I take Gamakatsu hooks and tie on feathers much like a Popper used for black bass fishing. Many shops sell the feathers, i.e., Delta Bait and Takle. You get better action from the feathers than from the worm and you never have to worry about tuning the lure if it runs straight already.

hqly2001
11-08-2005, 02:25 PM
Found a palce that sells trick worms..4.50 plus tax a bag.. will get some after work..

just curious.. the trick worm is 6ins.. won;t that a little too long? the lure is about 5 inches already.. u'll have soemthing about 10-11 inches swimming??

survivor
11-08-2005, 02:37 PM
::) ::)1 inch makes no difference. Have you ever seen a striper's mouth? They can eat a small dog, so I wouldn't worry about 1 inch. You need to go out and fish, you'll learn so much more by spending time on the water and trying some of the methods and ideas you got from this board. Just my 2 cents, good luck and have some fun. Don't worry so much you'll learn alot on your own. Just go fishing and enjoy the experience.
Paul aka Survivor ;D ;D

hqly2001
11-09-2005, 12:48 AM
haha.. i sure will give it a try.. i'm prepared now!
look forward to the trickworm trailer!!
thanks for the advice!