PDA

View Full Version : Powerlines

Fish-on
10-21-2005, 02:43 PM
Just wondering how choppy the water gets out there during Nov. Am I safe in a 15 footer? Are there areas that are somewhat sheltered out there that are productive?

BassJack
10-24-2005, 09:40 AM
It varies with the wind and direction of the current. When the south-east wind is blowing upstream and the outgoing tide is ripping downstream you don't want to be in that area. Most of the time you will have to play it by ear. If you launch at Brannon Island, you have the choice to fish inside of horse shoe bend, Three Mile Slough, or head down to the San Joaquin if the wind gets too strong.

I fish in a 12' aluminum boat and have made lost of trips to that area. You just have to be smart and watch the wind. Duck into a safer area if the wind kicks up.

One last tip - always try to go into the wind on the way out so that you can ride with the swells on the way back to the launch. This is why I usually launch at Brannon Island instead of Sherman Island. Going from the Power Lines back to Sherman after the wind has kicked up is a death wish with a small boat.