PDA

View Full Version : San Louis Saturday

Farrier_Frank
10-22-2005, 05:50 AM
A few of us will be bank fishing San Louis today at the Basalt area (Willow point/Goose neck point) If you're in the area stop by and say hi or call in over VHF channel 69. Hopefully there will be a report this evening.

blue_chrush
10-22-2005, 06:54 PM
well frank.....
how was it....?
pics.....?

Farrier_Frank
10-23-2005, 06:00 AM
Blame it on the Moon, Blue Crush. The fishing was one of those days the fly's didn't even bite. Had the water been salt we could have considered the sardines and anchovies brined and smoked them on the Webber. The bait sat in the water 7 hours with no indication of being disturbed. We did see some boils close to shore, so close in fact it was surprising the stripers didn't beach themselves. We chased the boils along the bank, throwing a variety of lures with no luck.

With all the years I've been fishing "Skunk-days" are nothing new. Often skunk-days turnout to be the best days on the water, especially when I share them with my son and a friend. And Richy, my friend through the Sniffer, takes bank fishing to a new level. With his RV parked on the bank, lawn chairs spread in front of the lake, a Weber smoking with burgers and homemade chili, and games of cribbage and scrabble, the day was a complete success. And on the drive back to Morgan Hill instead of acting glum, Travis (my son) was jubilant and laughing about how Richy used his day fishing to cook up a tri-tip and a pile of burgers to feed his clan when he got home. Now that's a smart fisherman. ;)

blue_chrush
10-23-2005, 10:19 AM
those boils near the beach, did you see fish..?????
cause this time of year the shad and I mean the
big ones in the 3lb range cruz the edges in huge
schools and will cause boils like that....
and you have to use small crappie jigs and light
line to get them on.. but once you do, look out
I have had 100yd runs and great times on them...

also with it being opening duck season were there
birds rafting in the center of the lake...??
usually that starts a few more weeks into the season..
on foggy days tho you can drift fish in the middle
and get a few shots off too....lol

CJC
10-23-2005, 01:07 PM
I thought those shad showed up around June. They are there in the fall also?
They are feisty little fish!

Richy
10-23-2005, 05:31 PM
If you would like, you can see, and read my whole two pennies worth of our get together in the Hitchhikers Forum.

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?board=hitchhike;action=display;num=1130116 741

Oh and Blue Crush, yeah they were Stripers. We could see them very clearly in the water. But you're right, those shad can be a real hoot on light gear.

Richy *:)