PDA

View Full Version : Portable Picturing

YakMotor
06-11-2009, 07:50 PM
I'm typing to you now while standing on my deck using my spiffy new notebook. *It's even got a webcam! *
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/442/menlake.jpg

I'm having a heck of a time getting used to the finger thingie mouse! *Anyway just wanted to say FFG isn't alone at having to learn a buncha stuff about a new "toy." *Took a call to Linksys for tech help to get the wireless router working properly.

So are there any longtime laptop/notebook users out there who can offer tips especially about doing photos and video and prolonging battery life?

Also wonder if anyone is using Sprint mobile broadband for their internet connection. *The fellow in the park here who had his notebook connected with a tiny USB plug-in took his 5th wheel to Idaho so have no one for feedback on whether Sprint worked out well for him or not.

MB_Kevin
06-11-2009, 10:40 PM
Im sure you will enjoy your new toy!

Darin
06-12-2009, 02:01 PM
Very nice Yak!! I just dumped everything on my laptop and I'm going to use it for RAW...when I get there. I got the new camera!!! I wiil post some pics tonight. If your still haveing problums with your wireless let me know. I just had a tech out here fixing mine and I learned a few things.

FFG

cuhogn
06-12-2009, 03:52 PM
Mark
We use the Sprint card for work on a regular basis and it works well, it does take some time to load "content" at times. I have used it to connect when out of state also as long as there is a cell signal.

I also have a new toy, a new HD camcorder so have been playing with it and did post some test videos so hopefully I will have some good stuff from Flaming Gorge in the next 2 weeks. Zhands thanks for the info u posted on uploading video was very simple when I followed "all" the directions ;D

YakMotor
06-12-2009, 08:15 PM
cuhogn - Put a full charge on the notebook batteries and took it to the Sprint store in Jackson hoping for a trial run. Problem is the store is no longer there. In fact a whole lot of businesses that used to occupy the strip mall storefronts next to the beautiful new Safeway are no longer there. Hummm ... that's telling of the "times" I suppose. Then went to Radio Shack but found out the one up here doesn't do cell phone related stuff. Guess it'll wait til my next trip to Sacramento.

I hope you'll start a thread with some info on your new camcorder. Like what kind and why you chose it, what you'll use to edit, etc.

I attempted to put together some of the best footage from my Panny TZ5 of hummingbirds around my feeder (had two sit on my finger at one time), but got frustrated with the task and set it aside for awhile. It takes a lot of patience to go through a lot of material. Recall some of the best end product results in my yesteryear video shooting days came with an attitude of editing my shots as I went. None too long or short and tried to mix them up with changing scenes of visual interest. Thoooo that said if you shoot with editing in mind be sure to leave a few extra trim seconds at the end of a scene.

Dang, time to go inside! Legs can't take standing still for so long.

Thanks for the Sprint service confidence lifter!

YakMotor
06-24-2009, 11:23 PM
I'm on the laptop outside on the deck (with the bugs) because my new Sprint wireless device picks up a much better signal. Inside it's "iffy" sometimes tying to the MUCH FASTER 3G EVDO signal, but sometimes dropping me to another cell tower (I guess) with a intolerably slower speed. Been reading up on connecting the little USB device to an external antenna. Supposedly with a directional antenna I can lock to the best tower in my area.

It's about the same situation when I've tried it at my Mom' in south Sacramento. Most of the time fast speed even when the signal bars show low signal strength I get inside.

I'll be calling Hughesnet (my satellite net provider) next week to discontinue their service. It's worked well, for the most part, for four years. If you're also in rural area and can't get high speed cell service satellite is the only way to go, at least for me, as dial-up is not a viable option. If you wanna come pick it up at Lake Amador I'll give you a good deal on the Hughes dish and modem. PM me for more info.

As for picture work on the laptop I'm not thrilled with it. It's plenty fast enough, but the screen is VERY directional. Meaning to get the best image my head has to be in just the right spot. I'm still trying to establish my old standby programs for security and housekeeping. Vista and the 64 bit operating system have been a problem with some. Anyway I'll keep you posted on how it's going. Humm ... legs are tired of standing ... gonna have to get a bar stool if I'm going to last outside here. Least the bugs are less problem now. Most of 'em that had been crawling across the screen are gone ... must be my boring message! ;D

metalmouth
06-25-2009, 05:07 AM
I bought a small wireless Logitech mouse for my lap top. Then you disable the laptop pad mouse and you are good to go. As for battery life . . . I'd run and extension cord! ;D

atavuss
10-20-2009, 11:19 AM
Mark,
I am a longtime laptop user, I sit in my recliner and watch TV and use the laptop at the same time. I use Comcast internet and connect via a wireless connection. you will get used to the mouse, I dislike using a desktop mouse now, never use the desktop PC in the other room anymore. I have never used the built in web cams that any of my laptops have/had, too poor quality IMO. I have the 17" screen, easier on my old eyes.