PDA

View Full Version : Photo contest

MinnowMagnet
06-04-2009, 10:04 AM
I think that we should have a photo contest of some sort on here. Anyone else up for a photo contest?

Darin
06-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Thats a great idea. I'm in.

FFG

Mackattack
06-04-2009, 09:08 PM
I'm in if Yak and FFG can modify my shots.

Jake

YakMotor
06-04-2009, 09:31 PM
I volunteer to be a judge if it's a best bikini shot contest! :D

Seriously, I think the contest idea is great, but needs some sorting out on how set it up, define the goals and narrow the scope to fit the shooting of our outdoor loving Fish Sniffers.

I have no experience with contests.

MinnowMagnet - how about if you do some thinking and come back with some more ideas?

Mackattack
06-04-2009, 09:46 PM
How about a three faze shoot. 1. still shot 2. flowing shot 3. fast action shot ? What do you think minnow ?

Jake

Darin
06-04-2009, 11:33 PM
How about a three faze shoot. *1. still shot 2. flowing shot 3. fast action shot ? What do you think minnow ?

*Jake

I like your thinking Jake. Maybe we should also have an unedited shot as well, "Still shot" would work for that, straight from the lens to the board. I can take any photot and tell you if it has been edited from the original.. I think. Someone test me on that if you dont mind. And of course a "Best Fish Shot". We need to think of something that one of us has that we could donate to the winner to inspire as many people as possible to join in. Hmm..I gave away most of my high dolor saltwater equipment during christmas to sniffers so i am going to have to think on this one. :-/ Sniffer stars, Sniffer hat....Hand tied flys, ?????

FFG

żżż
06-05-2009, 07:51 PM
I don't have nice equipment to compete - so unless there's a budget PnS category I don't stand a chance! :-[

Just kiddin'. I don't have nice gear, but it's on!!! Let's do it! :D

Mackattack
06-05-2009, 11:02 PM
I like your thinking Jake. Maybe we should also have an unedited shot as well, "Still shot" would work for that, straight from the lens to the board

All my shots are that way. I dont have the knowledge to enhance my pics or the patience for that matter. What you see is what I took. But I do enjoy the the bikini's and fly fisherman and orca's tossed into a guy upside down in the Truckee Rv.(oh wait there's no orca yet in Nevada so far) Must be the lack of fish ladder's. Man me think's that's funny !

Mackattack

metalmouth
06-06-2009, 03:51 AM
I think all but one category should be unedited. If not we're just voting on best editor and not the best original photo. ::)

Darin
06-06-2009, 04:03 AM
I think all but one category should be unedited. If not we're just voting on best editor and not the best original photo. *::)

I totally agree. After playing around with my editor with my $40 camera I have I learned you can make a Lamborghini out of a Volkswagen. ;)

FFG

Chief_Sniffer
06-06-2009, 07:21 AM
How unedited? No RAW?

MinnowMagnet
06-06-2009, 08:23 AM
I was thinking we could have a set period of time to fish, like a month. And the one whop cathes the most species would win. We could have a logo that is printed out that needs to be included in all pictures. We could have 3 catogories, most species in saltwater, most species in freshwater and most species overall.

hoghunter3
06-06-2009, 10:17 AM
If we get this set up I'd be willing to build and donate custom rod as a prize. Ultra light spinner that anyone could us. Thoughts?

YakMotor
06-06-2009, 09:20 PM
Went through the posts so far and gleaned, in no particular order, these considerations from comments made and have thrown in more points to ponder of my own. All points should have question marks at the end. More ideas are welcome!

Contest goal
* Improve photo skills
* Win prize
* Prove skills
* Encourage participation
* Enjoy competition
* Take on a challenge
* Produce gallery of exceptional photos

Contest frequency
* One time
* On going
* * week, month, year?

Winner rewards
* Prizes
* * *donated
* Trophy
* "Hall of Fame"
* Certificate / plaque

Fishing contest
* photos of those caught required
* time limit
* based on species

Photo editing
* allowed or not
* defined - is RAW OK?

Categories
* based on camera type
* * point & shoot
* * dSLR
* * bridge
* * other?
* based on subject type
* * bikinis
* * fast moving water
* * slow moving water
* * fish caught
* based on theme
* * Fishing
* * * *Action - fish-on, catching, or landing shot
* * * *Posed with catch
* * * *Location with fishing related subject in photo, rod & reel, net, fishing boat, etc
* * * *Fish in water
* * * * * on a line or off
* * Wildlife
* * * * Birds
* * * * Mammals
* * * * Aquatic

Time considerations
* Entry time window & deadline
* Photograph taken time frame
* * *recent window
* * *pictures from the past

Judging
* by individual
* by panel
* by viewer poll
by participants

I found these links for established contests if you want to check 'em out for more ideas.
http://www.photos-of-the-year.com/digital-photography-contest/

http://www.proofpositive.com/contests/photocontests.htm

http://www.proofpositive.com/contests/photocontests.php

If valuable prizes are involved I think the contest should be well thought out and set-up. *Please jump-in if you've got some contest experience and can help!

Captain Compassion
06-07-2009, 03:55 AM
Interesting. Why not. :)

CC

MinnowMagnet
06-07-2009, 03:05 PM
IMO it should be more of a fishing contest with photos used to prove you catches. think most species fresh salt and overall would work. I have seen contests like this and it can be a very interesting contest to see the different species people catch. It can be a challenge and result in people cathing their first of a new species.

metalmouth
06-07-2009, 03:52 PM
MM we kind of have that on every species board. This board is designed for photos to be the highlight rather than the fishing to be the highlight.

I do enjoy your fishing photos however. :)

MinnowMagnet
06-07-2009, 04:14 PM
thats why I originally posted this on talk to the sniffer, but it got moved here.

Darin
06-07-2009, 04:48 PM
hh3- That would be really cool if you could do something like that. What more better than a custom rod. I have a new never seated Yellowstone Albright 8' 5wt fly rod I can throw into the pot. It would be good for someone that want's to give fly fishing a try.

Yak- Looks like your on the right path to me. When I get time I am going to try and throw some more ideas out there if we need them.

Mackattack
06-07-2009, 09:10 PM
thats why I originally posted this on talk to the sniffer, but it got moved here.

Minnow think of it this way,A you are sitting and fishing when you see the light shine off the fish about to hit your lure(but the rod tip has a rainbow over the lake)B the fish hits your lure and dives(and opens his mouth just before)C that pig of a fish dances across the water with your hook in its mouth(and you catch that on film). Make sense ?

Jake

YakMotor
06-07-2009, 09:20 PM
MinnowMagnet - I wonder if the Campfire Board would be a better place to promote your fishing contest idea. *Now that I better understand what you're going for I think it would be quite interesting and a unique challenge for folks wanting to get involved. *Using photos as proof of catch is a good idea. *Probably going to need some more brain storming about what species would be allowed.

Don't think I'd wanna see shots of cormorants on a stringer tho from recent posts they seem to be on the bite! ;D
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/5385/cormorantwingsout563.jpg

Might be a interesting "spin" on your idea for the Photo Board to make the "catches" with a camera instead of a rod.

I hope my previous post doesn't complicated the contest idea to oblivion. *For a prize contest it seems to me people making donations ought to have a strong say as to how it's setup.

maskas
06-07-2009, 11:59 PM
Personally, I'd like to see a contest for pictures of fishing locations or something less...fishy. I dont like to bring my expensive camera equipment with me when I fish (I mostly fish by myself, and I dont want to get fish slime all over everything).

What about a contest with a theme such as "Pictures that make you want to _________." Obviously the word or phrase that would fill in the blank would have something to do with fishing...perhaps "Pictures that make me wish I had a boat." For example, if the contest were "Pictures that make me wish I could fish like a bird," I would submit this photo:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a264/sm5277/IMGP3832.jpg

I also think that the "catches" with a camera idea is a good one. It's possible that we might want to outlaw underwater photography for that one, though.

Prowler
06-08-2009, 12:18 AM
I also think that the "catches" with a camera idea is a good one.
Me too. Photos like this one taken by Empire would be awesome.

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq237/Alzempire/steelie1.jpg

maskas
06-08-2009, 12:26 AM
Minnow think of it this way,A you are sitting and fishing when you see the light shine off the fish about to hit your lure(but the rod tip has a rainbow over the lake)B the fish hits your lure and dives(and opens his mouth just before)C that pig of a fish dances across the water with your hook in its mouth(and you catch that on film). Make sense ?

*Jake

And then you lose the fish because you were taking a picture of it instead of keeping tension on the line?

MinnowMagnet
06-08-2009, 07:47 AM

*Jake

And then you lose the fish because you were taking a picture of it instead of keeping tension on the line?

LOL, it would probaly be a record too!

MinnowMagnet
06-08-2009, 07:49 AM
Should i write out the basic description of what i was thinking about and post it up, maybe this should be posted in the campfire board.

żżż
06-08-2009, 08:06 PM
Minnow, I think you've spawned something you didn't intend but it's all good! I think you're original idea is good too - you should post it on Campfire and 'see who salutes'. 8-)

Categories for photos is a must, but we may want to keep it simple in the beginning. I'm game. I haven't done anything like this in a long time and I think it'll be fun!

BTW, I could really use a good UL rod right now! :)