PDA

View Full Version : lost my cherrie in riovista 2 keepers in the boat.

nhbfishin
05-30-2006, 11:09 AM
Launched out of Riovista sunday 10 P.M. Threw out some Eel by the bridge and went to sleep. woke up around 6 am went to haps bait shop for fresh bait. Oh yea eel was still on in the morning. went to decker and it was to windy so went to horshoe on the back side to get out of it didnt mark anything on the lowrence 334c but soaked some bait for 30 minuts or so anyway to no avail. pulled up anchor around nine thirty am and headed north twords cash slough to some spot i seen sturgeon jumping about a month before. anchored up after marking a couple big ones. Droped ghost ship with eight ounces of weight. Got a nice hit in ten minutes and he poped off the hook in about 20 seconds. Rebaited and hooked a keeper striper. Then no action. Picked my compadre Eddie up of the levee and headed up the sac river chanel,anchored and no luck. Headed back twords light 50 and marked some nice fish dropped anchor baited up with Eel and eddie had a nice sturgeon bite. It had the rod tip bent right over. Eddie pulled a rook move and opened the bail which caused a birds nest in the reel. Fish was gone, so we thought. He got the line straightened and all of a sudden the fish took off (what luck). I loosened the drag for him so the fish could take line(25lb p-line). He got the fish to the boat in ten minutes after that and I snared it into the boat. A fifty inch keeper! the boat swung the other way 20 minuts later and I was baited up with eel and pyle worms. Got a tap tap and tried to set the hook. Then tap tap angain and I tried to set the hook. The next thing I saw was a sturgeon going airborn. Istarted reeling in and the fight was on. He was pumping the rod good so I loosend the drag a little and he took about twenty yards of my 60 lbs braided power pro line. Iwas pumping and reeling and having a blast. He took anouther twenty yards or so and I worked him closer to the boat. Then got anouther arial show. After 15 minutes of having the time of my life eddie grabbed the snare and we draged him in the boat. Anouther keeper 55 inches 38 lbs. eddies was 27 lbs. At least thats what my scale said they felt alot heavier but I might have been worn out from lifting all those wobbly pops. We had some skie boats watching and cheering as we pulled the fish in I think they enjoyed the arial show as much as we did. All my line time finally payed off after four month of fishing, a broken, boat. buying a new boat, and numerous trips,tips,and advice from you guys. I dont know how to post pics but I can email them to one of you guys if you can post them for me that would be great. or if someone can tell me how that would be nice also. Yea it was my first sturgeon.

timetofish
05-30-2006, 12:26 PM
NICE JOB!!!! Not one keeper but two!! Gotta love days like those!!! I'll PM my email and I'll be glad to post em up!!

ZACK
05-30-2006, 01:05 PM
FANTASTIC!!!

Congratulations!!! Keep getting out and testing all you hear and it won't be long before you are a pro. Loved your enthusiasm.

ZACK!

DragonSlayer
05-30-2006, 03:29 PM
What a great story :) It's moments like this we wait a lifetime for. I switched the open spool once with a oversized on it didn't come out as well. :-/ You show those Dino's it was YOUR day. Look forward to seeing the pic's.

Kneedeep
05-30-2006, 03:51 PM
Great story congrats. I would be afraid after that trip, to go to sleep for fear I would wake up and find out I was just dreaming. [smiley=sleepy.gif] Kneedeep

nhbfishin
05-30-2006, 05:54 PM
timetofish you got mail brother I appreciate you making a pic post for me. Ill figure out how to do it myself when I have a little more time thanks.

nhbfishin
05-30-2006, 05:56 PM
Kneedeep all I wanted to do was go to sleep the night before. A six pack of corona and a choppie night made me thankful I had a toilet in the cuttie to heave into.lol.

timetofish
05-30-2006, 06:57 PM
Here you go: "http://img283.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc030451za.jpg"

"http://img283.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc030496gm.jpg"

"http://img436.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc030400mn.jpg"

"http://img283.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc030420lh.jpg"

timetofish
05-30-2006, 06:58 PM
Sorry it took so long. My computer was down at the house. Anyway....Congrats again. Looks like you'll be eating like a king for awhile ;). Don't forget to break out the smoker!! Nice looking fish.

cptfishalot
05-30-2006, 07:40 PM
Great day.....for you .....way to stick with it........
Whatcha going to do now?

levelwined
05-30-2006, 08:00 PM
Great Story!! That is the way to get your cherry popped...!! Loved the story.. Tight Lines

nhbfishin
05-30-2006, 10:03 PM
timetofish thanks a million for posting those pics for me. I really appreciate it compadre. Captainfishalot what ya think im going to do "Im going to disny......oh im going going to try to catch some more sturgeon. Although now that if finally got one I can do some striper fishing. Checked out your website and I appreciate the tootledge. The biggest striper I caught was 6 lbs guess I need a new mission, and anouther sturgeon. Im so happy. lol.

Kneedeep
05-30-2006, 10:28 PM
Those pictures show one happy fisherman and with good reason. Nice fish. congrats. Right in the slot for sure, how great it is. :) Kneedeep

SturgeonVirgin
05-31-2006, 05:58 AM
Way to go, nice job!

Man, cannot even remember the last time I fished for sturgeon; I need to get out there more...

ZACK
05-31-2006, 07:42 AM
Great pic's and nice looking family. I remember my kids when they were small running to the boat when I came in and my daughter begging me to let her pop the eyes out! :o
I guess you took the pics after the fact but next time (if you remember) bring the camera aboard and get pic's of your fish while they are still breathing. They will look much more magnificent. Also, did you bleed them out 1st?

Congrats again, ZACK!

nhbfishin
05-31-2006, 09:57 AM
Zack. I did get some pics on the boat with my disposable, but have to burn alot more film before they get developed. And I did not bleed them out first unfortunatly I was so exited I just forgot. And I know better too Ive cleaned enough deer. They bleed pleanty when when the guts were falling out in my backyard.(jk) Had I been thinking clearly I would have tied them off on the side of the boat and bleed them into the water. Had baked dino last night with garlic olive oil salt pepper tyme and garnished with bell pepper and zuccinnie. Tasted kind of like Mahi. Hope the meat is ok It tasted good but ive never ate sturgeon before so I have nothing to compare it to.

Kneedeep
05-31-2006, 10:45 AM
ZACK for those of us who don't know, what's the best way to bleed the sturgeon. Thanks Kneedeep.

timetofish
05-31-2006, 10:53 AM
I'll just slice both sides of the gills, tie the tail to a rope attach to the boat and let em' bleed out overboard. This way seems to work best for me. The cutting of the tail method didn't work to well for me.

ZACK
05-31-2006, 12:36 PM
Best way I know is to put the sturge on a rope just like you would put a trout, or cat fish on a stringer. Tie him off a cleat and allow just enough rope so he can swim and cut him through the red gills on both sides and drop him back into the water and watch him bleed. Leaving him in the water opposed to out in the air. This will keep the bleeding going by the water keeping the blood from coagulating. You can also bleed them out through the lowest section of the tail by cutting to the spine just above the fin. I wouldn’t recommend tying them up by the tail due to how hardy sturgeon are and even when you cut them through the gills (which is the equivalent to cutting our throats) they manage to stay alive for quite some time. They are also such powerful creatures that I personally wouldn’t trust any knots that I tie.lol
Don't worry about the meat not being ok for forgetting to bleed. It will be fine. I noticed the blood underneath the exterior of your fish skin and that is the only reason I mentioned bleeding them incase you or others weren't aware of how to preserve your fish best. The reason we bleed any animals that are intended for food is because blood deteriates (sp) very quickly and you do not want anything rotting on your food.
When I have eaten sturgeon they are so much like halibut that any recipe intended for either would work well. Grilled: butter, garlic, pepper, and dill. Fried: egg, flower and Mrs. Dash seasoning, or egg and Itallian bread crumbs. Smoked: sturgeon to me is the best of all smoked fish with Salmon coming in at a close second. Just remember for those that are not familiar with cooking fish it is done the second you can flake it apart with a fork. After removing it from the fire like any meat it will continue to cook a few minutes after and also just like a nice steak can be ruined by over cooking.

ZACK!

nhbfishin
05-31-2006, 01:00 PM
Just checked my fishing scale because Those fish felt soo much heavier than the scale read. It was off by nine pounds. I hung a fifty pound weight on it. Dont buy digital rapala scales they suck. so Im just doing the math and I think 36 pounds and 47 pounds is closer to the truth. anyone recommend a decent scale?

GCinGV
06-01-2006, 05:05 AM
Congrats NHB,
It was just a matter of time.

Get a spring scale, the digitals don’t hold up to the water damage very well.
GC

fishinfoool
06-05-2006, 04:13 PM
nice fish looking at the pictures the one fish is oversized by 1/8 inch better hurry and let it go ;D ;D ;D

nhbfishin
06-05-2006, 05:16 PM
eddie must have sliped a little with the tape. If you read the story I actually said the fish was 55 inches. But it was definatly a leagle fish. Good eye fishingfool, and good humor. I did make a release. Trust me part of the dino is at the waste tratment facility now if ya know what i mean.LOL.

bayareafishermen
06-05-2006, 05:59 PM
nice report and man I missed rio vista havent been there for awhile///Need to go again anyone has a boat to go out?? :-?