PDA

View Full Version : Looking For A New Duck Call

waterdog
01-08-2010, 07:13 AM
Last Saturday while duck hunting I lost the barrel part of my old duck call. It was an old wooden call that I don't remember who it was made by. It was 20+ years old, was an awesome call and was like a friend when hunting. I am looking for suggestions on a new call.
I am old fashioned in that I like wooden calls like cocobola wood(they just feel and look good) but will consider a new acrylic. I am looking for a single reed that doesn't stick, sounds ducky when doing a feeding chuckle, soft when doing a lazy suzy call and can blast out the hail calls. I like double reed calls but have never used one that didn't stick so its single reed for me.
I want to get a new onew within a week so I can use it the rest of the season. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Waterdog :)

Bakkie
01-08-2010, 03:17 PM
My buddies and I like Echo Calls. I blow the Echo XLT "Competition Meat" in cocobolo and you perfectly described it in your post. J.J. Lares makes good calls as well. Most sporting goods stores will let you blow calls before you buy them. You should also add another dropper to your lanyard and put a loop around each end of the call so this doesn't happen again.

FishbucketII
01-08-2010, 11:12 PM
I'm not experenced enough at calling to recomend calls. What I have I've just stumbled upon. the acrylic is from some DU promo.. ;D

Hof
01-09-2010, 10:43 AM
A lot depends on price. Like anything, you can spend just a little or a small fortune on a call. I have never spent big money on a call so I am probabily not much help. I can say one of my favorite all time calls is a primos wench which sells for under 20 dollars. Decent sound for small price. My hunting partner uses a rich n tone call that I really like as well. I think it was around 50 bucks a long time ago. What ever you do, make sure you test before you buy. I have purchased some calls in the past based on what other people have said and I have regreted it.

Hof