PDA

View Full Version : Sac River

Striperman
11-28-2005, 09:40 AM
Is anyone fishing the Sac here in town? Ive never caught a sturgeon and im looking to do some fishing here in town. I have some uncured roe that i was planning on using. Anyone want to give me some tips on places to go, baits to use, rigs? Thanks!!!

Striperman

FRIDAY
11-28-2005, 10:41 AM
The freeport area and south from that (hood, merrit's landing, Scribner's bend) should be a good starting point for places. As for bait, roe should work well. Also try pile worms, blood worms, ghost/grass shrimp, and eel. I like eel because it stays on the hook forever and keeps pesky striper and catfish from hitting it. Make sure your pole has enough back bone to pull your car up the street.

FRIDAY

Striperman
11-28-2005, 11:44 AM
haha pull a car? haha Seeker just built me a rod that im planning on using. Its got a soft tip but has plenty of back bone! I wouldnt mind catching some big cats or a few stripers. eel works wonders ive heard. That stuff is so damn expensive though. How about shad? I know stripers will eat them as well as sturgeon. I wouldnt mind catching both when im out. Hows fishing here in sac? Like around raley field and such? By the mouth of the American? Thanks!

Striperman

striper_assasin
11-28-2005, 11:52 AM
hey striperman,all that salmon youve been catching...,dont cure the roe,that and pile worms.youll be set.still very slow,but just like the lotto,you wont win if ya dont play. 8)good luck!!
~S.A.~

Striperman
11-28-2005, 11:58 AM
I have a bag of uncured roe. Ill use that. I put it in the freezer. Is that ok? Also when you use the roe do you put it in netting or just glob it on the hook? I wont use pile worms. I hate bait that bites back! :-[ haha Anything else is cool!

Striperman

innovate
11-28-2005, 12:02 PM
Striperman,

If you have time to fish the downtown area, I'd say go for it. There are fish being caught sporadically around the Metro Airport, Verona and even Knights Landing now - they just arent all that thick yet plus there's still a lot of boat traffic.

Settle down a good spot after dark, bring some warm clothes, some ghost shrimp, and have at it.

later and good luck,
Roland

Striperman
11-28-2005, 12:09 PM
Thanks! I really want to give it a shot! Is it productive to fish during the day or do you have to fish at night to catch em?

Striperman

innovate
11-28-2005, 12:33 PM
Striperman,

Time your trip around the change of the tides. I usually do good at the end of the incoming and the start of the outgoing.

later,
Roland

*Deltadog*
11-28-2005, 03:48 PM
I have been fishing steamboat slough at Hogsback faithfully for about 2 weeks. Will I ever pick up a sturgeon there? Or is that a pipe dream? ??? ???

Know_Excuses
11-28-2005, 03:59 PM
I used to fish there for stripers but not sure the sturgeon is good there.Try looking back a few pages there is some good bank info ;D

STURGEONSTOMPER
11-28-2005, 05:43 PM
Striperman, try across from disco in that sand bar on the top side. Take a nice slow troll thru that entire area. Marking drop offs, selfs, ledges, gutters ;D Anything that will hold bait ;) then go get a beer or two and come back and drop in there well above your hole. Havin lots of anchor line slip down to them and toss your bait in ;) Simple right ;) Now try that troughtout the WHOLE DANG RIVER SYSTEM

Theres alot to see trust me on this one ;)

innovate
11-28-2005, 07:24 PM
Striperman, try across from disco in that sand bar on the top side. Take a nice slow troll thru that entire area. Marking drop offs, selfs, ledges, gutters ;D Anything that will hold bait ;) then go get a beer or two and come back and drop in there well above your hole. Havin lots of anchor line slip down to them and toss your bait in ;) *Simple right ;) Now try that troughtout the WHOLE DANG RIVER SYSTEM

Theres alot to see trust me on this one ;)

That area that SS mentions kicks out a lot of Sturgeon. I'm not sure if its because of how the water is churned up creating an eddy or something...

Barely any snags there too. Give it a try for sure :) PM me if you need directions (that is if you're fishing the bank - if you're fishing from a boat, then nevermind ;))

Striperman
11-28-2005, 07:33 PM
Thanks for all the info guys! Ive fished that spot for stripers. We will most likley be fishing in my little 14foot gregor. I want a big sturgy to tow that thing around! haha ;D

Striperman

STURGEONSTOMPER
11-28-2005, 07:36 PM
Then thats a good start. Later, head downtown ;)

Striperman
11-28-2005, 07:41 PM
It should be fun trying to net a fish in that boat. Especially a big one! :o :o :o

Striperman

fishingfoolr
12-03-2005, 03:41 PM
upstream from discover past the virgin sturgeon is a big sand bank. Fish just below the bar with fresh salmon eggs you can make sacks out of stockings cinch them tight so they get nice and juicy. you might do ok I now it is ok there in the spring. just another option....

GCinGV
12-05-2005, 06:19 AM
Striperman,
If you’re not already using one for Stripers, set up some kind of balance beam for your rod; at least until you learn to identify the bites. Just be sure a fish doesn’t take off with your rod.
A snare would be a good thing to have onboard; they don’t always fit in the net.
Be sure to use a float for your anchor incase you need to chase one.
If you’re fishing the Sac area check out the regs as far as hook restrictions. Not sure what the rules are these days; seems like they change every other year but I believe its nothing over a ¾’ hook gap above the I-80 bridge. Also check out the rig restriction about distance from the hook to the weight.
“Make sure your pole has enough back bone to pull your car up the street.” No joke; at least a VW on flat ground.

Good hunting
GC

Farrier_Frank
12-05-2005, 06:57 AM
I'm still a neophyte sturgeon fisherman, Striperman, learned everything I know so far from GC. Since last spring I've caught 10 and one keeper. All the information posted above works. What was left out were the details for landing the BIG ONE. Just a suggestion: take a pair of leather gloves along in case you need to snare a BIG ONE. I snared that 72" sturgeon GC caught a month ago and didn't consider how strong those fish are. That fish smashed my knuckles into the transom and I would have let it go but GC was holding a gun to my head and if I lost it I would have been crawdad bait. At this point in my sturgeon career I would not fish for them alone because I'm not sure how you land one of those BIG ones by yourself.

GCinGV
12-05-2005, 07:09 AM
Good point Frank; it gets tough enough with two guys sometimes. Think in terms of Crocodiles.
GC

sturgeon_general
12-07-2005, 07:24 PM
Yea,ask 916 for his top secret Sturgeon hole,he loves newbies and all there questions,LOL!!!!!

Know_Excuses
12-07-2005, 07:28 PM
Yea,ask 916 for his top secret Sturgeon hole,he loves newbies and all there questions,LOL!!!!!
Hey I'm a newbie and 916 was super quick to pm some good spots :-/

PlugROCKSTAR
12-07-2005, 07:38 PM

noticed how i haven't responded to the post until i was brought into the conversation. :P ;D ;D

Hey I'm a newbie and 916 was super quick to pm some good spots :-/

thats because they don't exist :P

smithstation
12-08-2005, 10:52 AM
noticed how i haven't responded to the post until i was brought into the conversation. :P ;D ;D

thats because they don't exist :P

916, you did the same for me but I followed your directions and ended up in Santa Cruz ??? *haha. *No really thanks to you and everyone who helps us new bees out. For me it is a two and a half hour drive to the delta :'( and then to try and discover new water, it is a challenge. This board and it's great members have given me ideas and atleast an area to start. * Thanks everyone ::)

STURGEONSTOMPER
12-08-2005, 04:35 PM
I hear they are knockin um dead in Freeport now. Dont cast to far off the shore, check your bait often as the crawldads are at it too. Move around a lil to wont hurt ;)