PDA

View Full Version : Sherman Powerlines Report

GCinGV
10-28-2005, 07:31 PM
Did my first Sturgeon trip of the fall season today and fished the Power Lines near buoy 14 with Farrier Frank. Frank broke the ice with a Cat fish and then about 8:30 I laid into a nice fat 72” hawg; anther one of those you have to measure 15 times it was so close. After that we picked up 3 shakers to 37 inches and then about noon Frank got his first keeper a nice 47” “The small one”. Five Sturgeon by noon and five the last trip; this guys my new good luck charm. Frank will post the pics tomorrow.
We were using Grass shrimp and pile worms today and most came on the Grass shrimp. We also caught fish on both the incoming and outgoing tides.
Long day GC

STURGEONSTOMPER
10-29-2005, 07:52 AM
Cool, very cool. Did Frank have his purple shoes on ::)

GCinGV
10-29-2005, 08:12 AM
Didn’t notice the shoes.
It was an awesome day on the water; no rain, little to no wind with fish too and there were only two other boats in site all day.
I think the bites on down there for the season.
GC

Farrier_Frank
10-29-2005, 08:31 AM
My lucky purple clogs were in the bow of your boat, GC, I never go fishing without them. ;) And quit calling my 47" sturgeon the "little one" ;D I was proud of that fish, and it fought like hell, too.

That 72" monster GC caught fought so hard and dug so deep I thought his rod was going to break. And it was the first fish I ever had to land with a snare. And it hurt, too. I got the snare over it's head and it kicked in the afterburners and smashed my knuckles into the transom and got free, and GC had that look in his eyes that said, "....I'm gonna kill you if you lose this fish." My one knuckle is still swollen this morning. Think I'll stay with roping cows.

PlugROCKSTAR
10-29-2005, 08:33 AM
sounds like a very productive day. post a pics of that PIG cause http://img438.imageshack.us/img438/8076/addpics27zv.gif

Farrier_Frank
10-29-2005, 08:35 AM
Ok bonehead.... how about I send them to you and you post them? Send me you email address and we can get this done. ;)

Farrier_Frank
10-29-2005, 08:47 AM
Ok, 916, I just sent you 4 photos. Turns out I had your email, guess you must have posted pics for me in the past. ;)

GCinGV
10-29-2005, 09:24 AM
“First blood” and it’s still on the boat. Actually Frank at the time I was more concerned about losing you then I was the fish. There are lots of fish out there but “good luck charms” are hard to come by. Come to think of it maybe I only needed the “Purple clogs”.
GC

PlugROCKSTAR
10-29-2005, 10:23 AM
Ok bonehead.... how about I send them to you and you post them? Send me you email address and we can get this done. ;)

this bonehead don't have pics. where are they? send em' to snyper_teampyro@hotmail.com

Farrier_Frank
10-29-2005, 10:55 AM
They're in the mail to the new address, 916, should be there by now ;)

PlugROCKSTAR
10-29-2005, 11:02 AM
They're in the mail to the new address, 916, should be there by now ;)

still not there.

GCinGV
10-29-2005, 12:28 PM
Lets see if I got this right.
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/509/sturgeon_47.JPG

GCinGV
10-29-2005, 12:31 PM
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/509/Sturgeon_72.JPG

Steve_M
10-29-2005, 01:29 PM
http://img428.imageshack.us/img428/6069/signgreatreport3kg.gifNice fish guys :)

Farrier_Frank
10-29-2005, 04:07 PM
Wow GC!!......? You can post pictures ??? You told me you couldn't. Does this mean I'm the last guy on the block who can't post pictures :-/ Maybe you should invite me over for lunch and teach me how to do this stuff. ;)

newtothegame
10-29-2005, 04:24 PM
great job guys!! what a hog!!

tattooed_angler
10-29-2005, 05:28 PM
Nice dinos going out tommorow hunting for em.

Farrier_Frank
10-29-2005, 05:49 PM
The interesting thing about viewing the pictures again was seeing the side of the big fish. It looks good, with no signs of trauma. But when we skinned this one we found a perfect hole, the size of a silver dollar, thru his midsection; like a window into his innards. And fanned out around the old wound was a palm-size pattern of blue/black scar tissue. This fish must have been one tough fish. And that his skin grew back over the old wound, leaving no signs of the wound, was impressive.

Smeja
10-29-2005, 08:00 PM
well i'll just say it i'm freakn jeleous!!!!! congrats to you!!

Reno_Reeler
10-29-2005, 08:08 PM
Congratulations on your first D-Back Frank! Great job guys! What type of tackle were you using (line type & lb. test, hook size, weight size)
http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/9692/nicefish29jk.png

Farrier_Frank
10-29-2005, 08:22 PM
I was using a 25 lb mono and GC said he was using a 30 lb mono. We were fishing from a boat, but if it was shore fishing it would have been different, especially the fight GC's fish put on the line. As far as weight goes we only used 4 ounces, but in a boat we could get away with that; casting from shore, with a group around you, is a different story.

RR
10-30-2005, 07:31 AM
hello gary,
great report! good to hear you are out there doing some catching. i'm sidelined 'cause of engine problems, will have that fixed real soon. keep the reports coming,
RR

GCinGV
10-30-2005, 07:46 AM
Good hearing from you Rich. Good luck with the motor. Hope to see your regular Sonoma Creek reports coming through real soon.
Tis the season buddy.
GC

ITUKAWAL
10-31-2005, 07:26 AM
Great trip GC & FF. You definately made the right choice going way down river to Rio vista area. Verona sucked big time. Except for the perfect company it was pretty bad. Anyway, time to change species as Hinrid would say.

fishdude76
10-31-2005, 09:39 AM
Nice fish guys. I hope you left a couple for my family. We will be out there this up coming weekend. I think you guys were in our spot. ;D We were out there 2 weeks ago and got nothing, using grass shrimp. But there were a million boats out there. They must have been scared off.

By the way GC was that you asking about Heenan because it is now closed til next September.

FD76

kromebrite
10-31-2005, 09:41 AM
Nice fish!!!!
I'm going to bring triscuits along on my next trip... ;) ;D

STURGEONSTOMPER
10-31-2005, 10:00 AM
Nice ones guys, good job. Theres a couple more for the album ;)

GCinGV
10-31-2005, 08:16 PM
Fishdude,
Yes that was me asking about Heenan. I was hoping to get up there the last day but it won’t be until next year now. Been thinking about trying Indian Creek though; the bite should be on there by now.
Gary

fishdude76
11-01-2005, 08:53 AM
By the looks of it you made the right call. I think that dino you brought in beats any cutty you would have caught up here. Nice job. We'll be out there Sunday.

Keith

mike22ca
11-01-2005, 09:50 AM
Awesome job fellas! Hopefully I gets me one of them bad boys this weekend ;)

Diego916
11-01-2005, 07:12 PM
when we skinned this one we found a perfect hole, the size of a silver dollar, thru his midsection; like a window into his innards

Lamprey, maybe?

http://home.comcast.net/~r_aspiras/sturgeon/eelmouth.jpg

Farrier_Frank
11-01-2005, 08:03 PM
Hmmmm.... I don't know Diego? Whatever the wound was it was traumatic. I talked to Doc about it and he acknowledged that particular fish's ability to heal. The strange part was the almost perfect hole thru the muscle.

innovate
11-01-2005, 08:24 PM
Hey Diego! I've seen that picture from somewhere before ??? I wonder where I've seen it? :D

Roland

Diego916
11-01-2005, 09:27 PM
Hey Diego! I've seen that picture from somewhere before ??? I wonder where I've seen it? :D

Roland

I found this awesome site for sturgeon http://home.comcast.net/~r_aspiras/sturgeon

;) :D

MSzychulda
11-02-2005, 12:23 AM
Could be a tape worm. Some of the delta fish pick up shark tapeworms from crustasions in the bay. The tapeworm dies in the stripers and sturgeon and ends up in the meat. Scar tissue forms on the worm(s)and then this scar tissue plug "falls" out. The skin then regrows over the spot. This is why we see some stripers with a red hole on their side, or partially grown over sore.

From the DFG site on common marine parasites:

For years fishermen have noticed red marks and open lesions on the right sides of striped bass from San Francisco Bay. These sores are caused by a larval tapeworm (Lacistorhynchus tenuis). The adult tapeworm lives in the intestines of sharks and rays. The tapeworms' eggs pass out with the hosts' feces. A free swimming larva hatches and is eaten by a small crustacean. The infected crustacean is in turn consumed by a fish and the larva, about the size of a grain of rice, embeds itself in the viscera or flesh of the new host. The larva will remain there until it is eaten by the correct species of shark or ray and then it will develop into an adult. However, when this larval stage is eaten by striped bass from San Francisco Bay, the striper kills the larvae and encapsulates them with fibrous tissue. If there are lots of larvae the fibrous tissue will form a "raft" in the viscera. The striper can also become infected if it eats other fish that contain the larvae. Hence, the number of larvae consumed can build up very quickly. The reddening or "strawberry" mark seen by the fisherman is the inflammation caused when these "rafts" touch the inside of the body wall. The striped bass further reacts to the "raft" by encapsulating it with its own muscle tissue. As a result an open lesion is produced on the outside of the fish. The lesions are usually on the right side of the fish because of the arrangement of the fish’s internal organs. Interestingly, this larval tapeworm is found world wide in over 100 species of fish, including east coast striped bass and other species of San Francisco Bay fish, with no reported pathology. This type of reaction is unique to San Francisco Bay.

GCinGV
11-02-2005, 08:13 AM
Penn,
That sounds like a real likely explanation. It was a perfectly round hole with the flesh missing between the skin and inner membrane. In the pic you can barely make out the dent on the stomach (small shadow) but the skin was completely healed over with no sign of a scar at all.
My first thought is that it was a Sturgeon hernia. He almost gave me one to match it pulling him in too.
GC

purebred166
11-03-2005, 07:54 PM
im planning on heading out there on saturday. anyone else going to be there? also how much is brannon to launch?

GCinGV
11-04-2005, 07:41 AM
purebred,
Sherman is $8 and I think Brannon is the same but I'm not sure I havn't launched there in a long time.
GC

Bassassin
11-04-2005, 10:57 AM
Brannon is $8. Careful at Sherman at low tide. It's a shallow one.

Farrier_Frank
11-04-2005, 07:51 PM
No sh*t Bassassin! GC and I launched his 19' Bayrunner at low tide at Sherman and the trailer fell off the cement pad and got hung up real bad. GC had to get in the boat and use a couple of hooks to yank the trailer up while I gassed the truck to get it out. - Not doing that one again - And that goes for Alameda in a minus tide too, GC *??? That one had disaster written all over it. ::)

Bassassin
11-04-2005, 08:36 PM
Glad you two got out of there relatively unscathed. My good friend Donzi turned me on to the Sherman launch... >:( I don't care for the road in and the first ding I put in my prop came from trying to get out of there. It may be a longer boat ride, but I drop in at Brannon and head down from there.

purebred166
11-04-2005, 09:49 PM
if the price is the same i would rather use the better launch. i know what sherrmans launch is like and i have hit the pillers on a high tide. thats enough to ruin a good day.

GCinGV
11-04-2005, 10:39 PM
Actually low tide is an issue with most of the ramps from there down. Sherman is one of the worse though. Besides the drop-off at the end of the ramp and a long run to deep water you also have the scattered pieces of abandoned, submerged, farm equipment.
In my boat I’ve found I’m ok there with about a +1’ or higher tide that is if we don’t drive off the end of the ramp.
Guess I should have mentioned the drop-off to you before you backed the boat in Frank. It occurred to me just as I saw the guide bunks drop below the surface. Oh yah the drop-off.
GC

fishguts
11-05-2005, 12:07 AM
You can always launch at Pittsburg and its a quick trip up to the power lines. The launch is free but it may be a longer tow for those coming from the Sac. area.
Its just a thought.

mike22ca
11-05-2005, 04:58 PM
I have a buddy that has the combo to the Sherman Island launch so we just lauch from there whenever we want. He lives on Sherman Isl. so its very convenient.

purebred166
11-06-2005, 08:51 AM
what a day. i launched at brannon headed over to light 14, had the waterpump go out on the boat so we were having overheating isues. it took us 8 hours to get from light 14 to the dock. but we did get our limit of stripers.

Seceret_hole
11-21-2005, 08:31 AM
Went to Sherman Saturday night. About 40 vehicles lined up down the bank, almost couldn't find a good spot, we nestled between 2 large groups of Asian fisherman that wouldn't shut up all night :-/ they were keeping every over size sturgeon they caught too, one sturgeon was over 7' :(, DFG now has there license plate number and description ;D

fishguts
11-21-2005, 08:50 AM
Went to Sherman Saturday night. About 40 vehicles lined up down the bank, almost couldn't find a good spot, we nestled between 2 large groups of Asian fisherman that wouldn't shut up all night :-/ they were keeping every over size sturgeon they caught too, one sturgeon was over 7' :(, DFG now has there license plate number and description ;D

Will they actually do anything about it, is the question.

swikmo
11-21-2005, 09:41 AM
Hey Seret hole.........

We were the boat (only) right about 1 oclock from there and heard all the ruckuss all night....I counted 23 lanterns at one point,but good job.The strugeon karma fairy blesses you!

SturgeonVirgin
11-21-2005, 10:06 AM
Swikmo, where you launch at?

BassJack
11-21-2005, 11:52 AM
Saturday, November 19th - Launched at Sherman Island and fished just upstream of Sherman Lake in 32' of water. The outgoing tide had some decent action. We managed one 7 lb striper on shad and one 47" keeper sturgeon on roe/eel/pile worms. I released the sturgeon. Lots of jumping sturgeon on the slack tide, which took about 1.5 hours to turn. The incoming tide was dead - no fish. The big problem was the water hyacinth. It was everywhere, making fishing very difficult.

swikmo
11-21-2005, 12:59 PM
Mr T - The boat uncle ashtray so graciously lets us use is berthed at the point marina.Its pretty nice there and extremely easy to just get there and take off.They got a nice bar in that restraunt with pretty tasty grub.When we used to use eddies aluminum we would usually launch at sandy beach.That wont happen for a while since someone decided to help themselves to eddies outboard one night at our house.May the fleas of a thousand camels infect their armpits!

CJ - Yeah,that hyacinth stuff suxorz pretty bad.I would remember fishing along the bank there along sherman isl rd that it made fishing almost impossible at time.Closer out to the channel it wasnt so bad but while out there I noticed most of the jumping fish were closer to the bank or in that direction.

striper_assasin
11-21-2005, 03:54 PM
did my 1st night time trip to sherman island.
IF DFG WANTS TO FIND THE PEOPLE TAKING OVER SIZED FISH,THIS IS THE PLACE TO START PATROLING!!!!SAW ABOUT A 7-8 FOOT STURGEON CAUGHT THROWN IN A TRUCK AND SPED OFF.

donzitroller
11-21-2005, 08:54 PM
Glad you two got out of there relatively unscathed. My good friend Donzi turned me on to the Sherman launch... >:( I don't care for the road in and the first ding I put in my prop came from trying to get out of there. It may be a longer boat ride, but I drop in at Brannon and head down from there.
Dang, took me a while to find this one! OUCH!

SturgeonVirgin
11-22-2005, 07:52 AM
Dang, took me a while to find this one! OUCH!
k, now I'm wondering, whats the deal at Sherman; lots of stumps?
:o

STURGEONSTOMPER
11-22-2005, 07:54 AM
You would be ok T. Its the larger boats that have trouble there. Yes there are stumps but most of the time they protrude