PDA

View Full Version : Question?

panfish_popper
11-20-2005, 01:06 AM
I have a question, hopefully the Sturgeon veterans can help me out. I went fishing for Sturgeon with MB a couple of hours ago. The tide was really really low. We were using Shrimp and Squid(the squid was for the sharks.) We kept on getting little tugs. Our pole would bend and wiggle, but just for a second then it would stop. I heard this is how Sturgeon bite. But heres the question, when they do those little bites, is that when you need to set the hook? Or do you wait until they decide to take it and hit hard?

Thanks in Advance,
Panfish Popper

innovate
11-20-2005, 01:16 AM
General rule for sturgeon hits - swing, and swing hard. :D

later,
Roland

GCinGV
11-20-2005, 07:10 AM
The way you describe the bite it sounds like it may have been Bull Heads. Donít hesitate for Sturgeon bites; like innovate said set hard and fast. Sturgeon seldom take the bait and run; just a small pump for a couple seconds and itís all over. If your rod does anything at all do the quick draw and set hard.
GC

STURGEONSTOMPER
11-20-2005, 08:49 AM
When Im fishsing in water that has sturgeon in it I hit every bite I get ;)

dandeuce
11-20-2005, 05:02 PM
I hold my pole 99% of the time and have been known to strike when no noticeable bite but the tension on the line changes even slightly . More times than not I hook up and always a keeper size fish .

I would not use any squid for bait , there are enough baitstealers out there as is . If your going to sturgeon fish you do not want anything else messing with it , OK , maybe a real oversize striper !

Tight Lines , Dan

MB_Kevin
11-21-2005, 01:31 AM
Maybe that is why I have never got a sturgeon. I always say You will know if you have a fish on. My sisters are always wanting to pull at the small bites and I tell them to wait. Sometime it don't come back. :-/ :'(
Sorry sis :P

PlugROCKSTAR
11-21-2005, 06:15 AM
the only thing your gonna lose is your bait, set hook everytime you think it's a bite.