PDA

View Full Version : newbie to the game

stripernator
11-16-2005, 10:25 PM
hello sniffers. i am new to sturgeon fishing. i'm planning on going to rio vista area this weekend and i would like to know where i can fish for those big dinos. i am thinking about sherman island, decker island or cache slough. which one of those 3 do you guys recommend? what about launching area? i've only fished around freeport and clarksburg area. is anybody going to rio vista area this weekend? where can i buy bait? i will appreciate all the info. thanks

sunracer1957
11-17-2005, 09:09 AM
Any of the areas you mentioned are worth fishing, as far as bait goes theres bait shops in Rio Vista on hwy 12, I don't know where to launch down there but I'm sure someone will chime in..

stripernator
11-17-2005, 09:53 PM
thanks sunracer. looks like sherman island is the place. me and my buddy are gonna be there early saturday morn. another question. i have a 50 pounds spider wire and a 400b calcutta that i use for striper. my pole is 7' med/heavy. is this good enough set up for sturgeon? like i said, i've never fish for sturgeon before. thanks again for info.

GCinGV
11-18-2005, 12:04 AM
Freeport Bait is a few blocks past the Rio vista bridge, on highway 12, on the right side.
As Sunracer said all of the places you mentioned are good. If youíre launching at Sherman though you donít need to go far. Iíd fish either around Buoy 12 just outside of the mouth of Sherman or just below 14 a couple miles up or some where in-between. Most of the time I set up about half way between the East shore and the ship channel in 25 to 30 feet of water.
Set up a balance beam for your rod itís a lot easier to see the bites.
Avoid low tide at Sherman it gets pretty shallow. I think itís about noon on Saturday.
Good luck and be sure to post the report.
GC