PDA

View Full Version : What anchor do I buy?

smithstation
11-09-2005, 10:57 AM
There has been lots of posts on anchors but I would like someone with lots of delta/boating experience to give me an idea of anchor style, how much chain, size of chain, and anchor weight. I have a 21 ft. seaswirl striper and want something that will grab and really hold when the tides start to rip. Thanks, SmithStation

jon_may
11-09-2005, 11:30 AM
fortress anchors are the best! (imo) they have them at west marine stores... check for your boat length/size on the box. plus they are aluminum and weigh a fraction of standard anchors... you can google "worlds best anchor" and check 'em out! *chain "should" be half the length of your boat, but i only use 6' for my 21' aluminum boat and never have a problem... even in heavy delta/ bay tides
by the way.... i use the 7lb anchor, which is 1 size up from the anchor sizing for my rig...

dandeuce
11-09-2005, 01:31 PM
Besides the lite weight of the Fortress anchor , the aluminum alloy they are made of is sort of non stick . Little or no mud when you pull it up , a shame I did not learn about these anchors years ago !

Tight Lines , Dan

smithstation
11-09-2005, 01:44 PM
I looked them up on line and they are nice but a little pricy :-/, or am I just cheep? Thanks for the info.

fishkiller
11-09-2005, 05:35 PM
8)Smithstastion for your 21 fter get a 14 pound danforth and 15ft of 1/4 chain . Hook chain and anchor together with a swivel type connecter. You can buy an anchor rode chain setup at west marine for 129.99 1/2 rope 1/4 chain already pre gypsyed together rope will be 150 feet you will need all that to anchor in 50-70ft of water. this is the same setup I have run for 25 yrs. 8)

Mr.Pescador
11-09-2005, 06:53 PM
I use a Bruce anchor ( also called a claw anchor) on a similar size boat.We used to use a danforth style but sometimes it would slip and slip before the tines would grab and then we're no where near our spot. Drop the claw and it just sticks.We fish currents that sometime require a pound of lead to hold bottom and it holds great. It weighs 11 lbs and costs around $40. at West Marine.

Chapa
11-11-2005, 01:23 AM
do you have a pic?