PDA

View Full Version : fireline, powerpro or pline on the 310?

kromebrite
10-28-2005, 06:15 PM
Going to load the Penn 310 with line(how about that!), wondering what you all think about the above choices. I have never used a braid before, big pline user. Willing to deviate, though ;)
Pairing the reel with the ugly stick tiger, medium action.Use will be sturgeon fishin :) mainly from a boat but I indeed on bringing this rig to the sturgy bash to break it in. Thoughts?

GN.
10-28-2005, 07:02 PM
I cast my vote for Power Pro. I have 50lb on my Tiger Stick and really like it. Also you will be amazed at the difference in sensativity and hookset compared with P-line.

See you at the bash.

JasonB
10-28-2005, 09:55 PM
Power Pro

PlugROCKSTAR
10-29-2005, 08:07 AM
Power Pro, Tuff Line XP if you can find it.

striper_assasin
10-29-2005, 09:19 AM
in my experiences the fireline is the strongest braid however it is a pretty stiff braid, the 50 pound and 80 pound line diameter is just to big and you wont get as much line spooled up on your reel as you will a thinner diameter line such as wipelash,tuffline,powerpro....however the 30 pound fireline has a small diameter i think its like14 pound diameter?.i personaly havent had good luck with the power pro,however other friends of mine that fish from a boat with powerpro love it and it has a small diameter i think 17 pound diameter for the 80 pound strength.i agree with 916 on the tuffline alot smoother of a line not very abrassive on the rod guides and strong.ive stopped using braid for sturgeon unless im on a boat.tossing big weights from a bank with braid weakins the knott considerably...just too much stress on the knott because there is no stretch.from a boat i would go with 80 pound tuffline or the 30 pound fireline.hope this helps.

STURGEONSTOMPER
10-29-2005, 11:39 AM
30lb stren, and then run 80lb power pro leaders. I dont loose fish and I just strip off a few yards every time I question the main line. Youll spend a heck of alot less that way and save money for bait/beer. Course not everybody has 4 children at home and 2 houses to run either ::)

Hog
10-29-2005, 02:17 PM
I agree with Stomper, stick with mono, P-line is good stuff that is used by many guides in the delta. *The only upside that I've ever heard about using braid is smaller diameter and no stretch. *The downside includes: much more expensive, abrasive on reel and guides, much harder on reel gears at hookset, stiffer, harder to cast, and won't hold knots very well, did I leave any out? *I've found that I rarely fish in water deeper than about 30 ft. With only 50 ft.or so of line out there is little water drag on the line from the larger diameter and line stretch for 30 lb mono at 50 ft. is neglegible. *Save your money for $3.00/gal. gas.

Stomper, four kids? I thought all you did was fish. ;)

doneli
10-30-2005, 05:30 PM
if you are planning to use a tiger ugly stick don't use power pro. i had 50lb. power pro line on my reel( big game abbu garcia) and a tiger rod and it cut grooves on the rings of the rod. i ereased the grooves with sand paper and put another reel with monofilament just for stripers and got me a seeker rod for my big game reel.
good luck
doneli

ghostfish_slayer
10-30-2005, 08:36 PM
if you use power pro there is a rumor going around that the 30 lb pp doesn't hold up to abrasions and has had problems with inconsistancy causing snaps while casting and stuff like that.also that the 50 power pro is much better and does hold up.i have never used either but heard that from the old timer surf guys throwing wood with pp.

PlugROCKSTAR
10-30-2005, 09:00 PM
if you use power pro there is a rumor going around that the 30 lb pp doesn't hold up to abrasions and has had problems with inconsistancy causing snaps while casting and stuff like that.also that the 50 power pro is much better and does hold up.i have never used either but heard that from the old timer surf guys throwing wood with pp.

it's not a Rumor. I've had it happen to me more than a couple ocassions on the American. Casting 1.5oz Wood against the wind. backlashed it pretty bad and snapped a 50lbs PowerPro and a lost custom wood >:(

SturgeonVirgin
10-31-2005, 07:21 AM
Tuf Line XP if ya wanna go braid. I used PP 65# for about a season, too many breakoffs, and unexplained snaps. Went back to mono after that, running Berkeley 25# right now. When I switch the lines out, going with Sufix Tritanium plus. That stuff is incredible.... Using it on srtiper rods right now, very impressed.

jon_may
10-31-2005, 08:44 AM
tuff-line is the shisnit! power pro(like others) was breaking off on me for unexplained reasons.... hmmmmm >:(

kromebrite
10-31-2005, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the responses. Ruled out power pro. I'm thinking stay with what I know, and what I know is mono. I am hearing too many break-off stories with the power pro as a result of frays, etc. One thing is fairly consistent, and that is use 30#, no less than 25#.
Sufix is a mono or a braid? I'll look.
This next weekend I'll go load up with 30# p-line(so much for my 'willing to deviate' ;D) or some other quality mono.
Now, about those leaders. The times I've gone sturgeon fishing it has always been a mono leader as well although 50#. 24" mono leader,single 5/0 Gami octopus.
Thanks again for the responses. Two more weeks til sturgy fest '05 ;)

SturgeonVirgin
10-31-2005, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the responses. Ruled out power pro. I'm thinking stay with what I know, and what I know is mono. I am hearing too many break-off stories with the power pro as a result of frays, etc. One thing is fairly consistent, and that is use 30#, no less than 25#.
Sufix is a mono or a braid? I'll look.
This next weekend I'll go load up with 30# p-line(so much for my 'willing to deviate' ;D) or some other quality mono.
Now, about those leaders. The times I've gone sturgeon fishing it has always been a mono leader as well although 50#. 24" mono leader,single 5/0 Gami octopus.
Thanks again for the responses. Two more weeks til sturgy fest '05 ;)

Heres a review of the stuff; its a mono....

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewsufixtrit.html

Diego916
11-01-2005, 07:53 PM
I use power pro for catfishing and I love the stuff. However, I have noticed when tying knots and rigging that power pro becomes easier and easier to cut the more tension it has on it.

When I go to cut off excess line from a knot, I always cut the power pro line under tension. Otherwise, it takes days to saw through the stuff. If the line is under tension, I barely have to knick the stuff with my knife to cut through.

I'm beginning to wonder if the mysterious snap-offs people have had with the stuff isn't because of this property. You have a fish on, the line is under tension and grazes a rock, log, or the side of the boat...SNAP!

So far, I haven't had a problem dragging cats out of snags with it. But, if it becomes a problem and I had to switch back to mono, I'll never use anything but Maxima. I absolutely love the stuff. Funny, but when I snag a 20# test store bought leader when I'm spooled with 8# test maxima, the leader breakes first almost every time, and I'm left with just a swivel and half leader.

SturgeonVirgin
11-02-2005, 06:06 PM
I use power pro for catfishing and I love the stuff. However, I have noticed when tying knots and rigging that power pro becomes easier and easier to cut the more tension it has on it.

When I go to cut off excess line from a knot, I always cut the power pro line under tension. Otherwise, it takes days to saw through the stuff. If the line is under tension, I barely have to knick the stuff with my knife to cut through. *

I'm beginning to wonder if the mysterious snap-offs people have had with the stuff isn't because of this property. You have a fish on, the line is under tension and grazes a rock, log, or the side of the boat...SNAP!

So far, I haven't had a problem dragging cats out of snags with it. But, if it becomes a problem and I had to switch back to mono, I'll never use anything but Maxima. I absolutely love the stuff. Funny, but when I snag a 20# test store bought leader when I'm spooled with 8# test maxima, the leader breakes first almost every time, and I'm left with just a swivel and half leader.

Good points on snap offs. IMHO, the problem is a lack of stretch; one reason maxima is highly regarded (correctly I think), is because of its stretch and abrasion resistance. With braids, there is pretty much none, so either the rod has to have that kind of give, or the drag on the reel has to be in perfect shape to avoid any kind of jerking or stuttering when line is being pulled off.

Don't get me wrong, there are times where braids are good, deep water jigging for example. But I just don't trust it like mono.

As far as store bought leaders breaking before your maxima, keep in mind that the leader is tied by a person who gets paid by the piece, not by the performance. A break off is another sale to them. Tie your own leaders with good line and knots; I guarantee that problem will go away.