PDA

View Full Version : Small boats for Sturgies?

fishrman4life
10-17-2005, 06:42 PM
Will boats that are smaller than 16 feet work in the delta? Ive seen small boats out there for stripers, saw em in Monty during the derby going for stripers and during a drive through the delta area a few years back. I just want to be able to use that boat till it dies. Wouldnt wanna drain funds into another one till I have em, lol.

SturgeonVirgin
10-17-2005, 08:04 PM
Will boats that are smaller than 16 feet work in the delta? Ive seen small boats out there for stripers, saw em in Monty during the derby going for stripers and during a drive through the delta area a few years back. I just want to be able to use that boat till it dies. Wouldnt wanna drain funds into another one till I have em, lol.

Like anything else, you need to just use common sense and you will be ok; watch the weather patterns, don't take chances, use common sense and you will be all right. Make sure you cary a VHF on board safety gear and wear a life vest. Best advice I got from someone was that if I thought twice about going out, I should stay in.

innovate
10-18-2005, 10:53 AM
I've seen a small boat about 8ft or so (Zodiac) with TWO guys in it Sturgeon fishing right out in front of Merrit's Landing this past winter. That's a bit dangerous in my opinion.

Lots of guys use 12 footers to fish for sturgeon up here in the metro sac, and even down there in Rio Vista. It's do-able, but again safety comes first as Mr T mentioned.

later,
Roland

Hog
10-18-2005, 12:54 PM
Just keep an eye on the wind and if it starts to blow head in. I've seen even big boats at the launch on Monty blown onto their trailer fender wells when the wind gets going. Also be careful pulling in a large sturgeon, if you put a 200 lb man and a 80 lb sturgeon on the side of a 12 ft boat and then add a little wind wave action bad things can happen.

STURGEONSTOMPER
10-18-2005, 02:29 PM
Ive fished out of an inflated boat before, and hooked up. A 6 footer even. We were fishing off the bank in Collinsville with a buddy of mine(6 footer also). He was a lil hesitant but we got her to the boat and well lets just say she made it to my buddies fridge ;) Bit scary but its true. Just be careful. Big water means big safty in my book

ndiezel
10-28-2005, 11:26 PM
Agreed. We brought a 71 incher in to a 12 ft. alum last fall. BUT, we were less than a 5 minute motor from the dock. Sloughs are cool but avoid the channels. The winds will eventually kill ya.

GCinGV
10-28-2005, 11:45 PM
“BUT, we were less than a 5 minute motor from the dock”.
I think that’s the most important thing in a small boat. A lot can change on a long run and there are plenty of places to fish you don’t have to go far.
GC

lizard
10-29-2005, 10:42 AM
yep yep yep safety first like MR. T said use common sense and you will be all right. once you get the safety issues figured out all you should worry about is that bigg'un thats towin' you up and down the sloughs ;).

levelwined
10-29-2005, 10:56 AM
I use a 12 footer out of the Monty. I haven't went past the mouth with it. It has worked good for me as everybody has said safty is first. As long as your use your head and go in before the wind gets to bad you will be fine.