PDA

View Full Version : TR1 Gold Problem

metalmouth
06-08-2005, 09:43 AM
I was wondering if anyone was having or had my problem
with the TR1 Gold. It will compass set per the manual.
Locate the first direction. But then will keep returning
to that direction unless the unit is reset by restarting. :'(
I've changed the compass ball already and I can't find
any magnetic reason for it's refusal to change headings.
Thanks for your help.
Don

tdekens
06-08-2005, 10:15 AM
Metalmouth, I havent had that problem. But you are making sure that there is nothing magnetic or electric near your ball? Have you called the company? They have some good tech people and a toll free number. I dont have it with me but if you need it I will get it. ;D ;D 8)2Shakes

metalmouth
06-08-2005, 10:23 AM
2Shakes, the factory has been a little helpful, although they act like it is an inconveniece. The only thing that
I can see is maybe the airride seat is causing a disturbance, but it will set the compass alright, before having it's senior moments. The ball is mounted between the bench seat and the port airride seat. About the only other place to mount it would be inside the under bench box. Maybe that is an alternative?
Don

tdekens
06-08-2005, 10:32 AM
I dont have the gold model I believe. But, mine is mounted inside the glove box. A problem I do have is that it must be unhooked from power when not in use. The guy I bought the boat from did that. When I didnt do it the throttle control stopped working and got really hot. Now I unhook the power when not in use. He also had it isolated on its own battery. Its not even hooked up to the perko switch anymore. I am going to rehook it back up so I can charge the battery when I am running around. I dont like to have to charge that battery for no reason. I will go from there. Mine was put on in 98. I can hook it up to a gps system but havent yet. Dont have the $$$ yet. That to me is a nice to have function and will be about a year further down the line. I love the little booger though. ;D The 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke, electic kicker lift and Tr1 he was going to take off the boat and shave $4,000 :o I decided I would still want it so would be spending about $8,000 to put it on again. Decide to give him the extra $4,000 now for it. Dont know how I could ever really backtroll in current without it. Awesome little device. Good luck I cant be much more help unless you want to see mine set up. The dealer did it in Oregon. ;D ;D 8)

gizmo
06-11-2005, 08:02 PM
i havent had a problem with mine yet...knock on wood. but i noticed that galaxie marine sells and installs TR1's. they told me they would work on mine if i ever had a problem. maybe give them a call and see if they can help . there in auburn 916-633-1979
gizmo

metalmouth
07-02-2005, 07:01 PM
I want to thank all of my fellow Fish Sniffers, who took the time to reply to my cry for help. *I was told that this unit was one of the best parts of a trolling boat that you could buy, and indeed it is! *I have no part in the TR1-Gold Nautamatic company but would like to tell fellow Fish Sniffers that if you troll, this could be the way to go. *I trolled today in winds that were 15 to 20 miles an hour, both across the wind and into it. *Incredible! *If you troll, and have access to a boat that has this form of autopilot, I would highly suggest giving it a look. My problem was fixed when they discovered the lines had been installed in reverse order. Anyway, thanks for all the responses and P.M.s.

tdekens
07-11-2005, 03:34 PM
Don, I changed it to charge while the kicker is running and have noticed no problems. Also I guess I figured out how to shut it off now so I dont unhook it from the battery anymore. ;) I was just thinking this week when i was using it that there is no way I would pop 4 grand for it unless it was financed. The dealers should push them more. They are awesome little devices. Being an old navy guy and having all this fishing time. I feel the best place to mount it would have been at waterline in the exact center of the boat or below. Thats where they put them on the navy ships so it made sense when I thought of it that way. Hey, I might try to get ahold of you if I make a drive up that way to or from Montana on a few places to stop and fish. Also if you are ever out here let me know and the offer is extended back. If you troll for trout or back troll for salmon or for that matter anything those are worth it. 2Shakes ;D ;D 8)

BigBrownMD-11
01-06-2008, 09:16 AM
I know this is a reply to an old post but I was considering adding a TR-1 Gold and a 9.9 Yamaha kicker to my 21' Thunder Jet. Any recommendations or tips?

Many thanks in advance!

Ironhead
01-06-2008, 09:22 AM
This is the first feature I would add to my boat again. Simply amazing how it changed my fishing. Worth every dollar ever spent.

Ironhead

longline
01-06-2008, 10:23 AM
BigBrown,
My suggestion would be to also consider the T8 yamaha. It is available with power tilt whereas the 9.9 is not. This is really a nice feature. I have a 21' NR with the T8 and TR1 and it's a great setup. It will push the boat at 5+ mph at full throttle.

metalmouth
01-06-2008, 12:36 PM
The T8 Yamaha and the TR-1 Gold are the first pieces I would add to any boat as well. Maybe a bracket to mount them on! ;)

BigBrownMD-11
01-06-2008, 01:26 PM
Many thanks for the replies!
Are you folks mounting your motor to the swim platform or did you buy/build a mount? How difficult is the system to set up, can I install it or should I plan on taking it to the boat dealer? Any pictures that you may have of the setup would be appreciated.
I did find the 8 HP, 4 stroke w/electric tilt for about 2100.00, seems like a good price although that doesn't include shipping to Alaska!

Only 4 more months until the Kings and Halibut are in!!

Woody
01-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Bigbrown I would also add a wireless remote I get tired of watching out for the cord.

See you on the water.

Woody

exocet
01-07-2008, 08:22 AM
Glad you fixed your problem. The TR-1 is pretty cool but way over priced IMO. Why would you spend that kind of cash for a kicker autopilot when you could get the real deal like my Simrad AP2619 for almost the same price? Not trying to start a fight here just posting the info for those that are considering an autopilot system.