PDA

View Full Version : Reel Line ? (pic)

MB_Kevin
08-05-2005, 11:49 PM
I got this reel its not a great one but it replaced my old one one my pole I want to use for sturgeon. I was wondering what Kind of line probably bradded I should have put on it?? I'm thinking power pro like around 80# test? I have only used spider wire bradded but hear that is not good line.
thanks for any info. here is a pic of the reel.
http://pstr-d01.ygpweb.aol.com/data/017/58/23/54/79/WuplQvX39sLvPyaZghgzeuwvI7aBURBr0300.jpg
I know its still early for sturgeon but want to be ready when I hear they are biting. ;)

tankgrunt
08-06-2005, 07:11 AM
80# is way overkill. That's what they use on the Columbia for 10 footers :o If you get snagged you'll never be able to break it off. If you want to use a braided spectra I suggest maximum of something in the 40# range, and I would tend to use PowerPro over other brands, but that's just my preference.

MB_Kevin
08-06-2005, 08:16 PM
really, I will probably be fishing from shore. thats why I have the 12 foot pole. thanks. I will try that that way I can have more line to play with. Once of a Pier I had a fish take my bait and go crazy I fought it for about 5 min and it snapped my 50# test. thats why I was thinking 80# It was on that pole but was mono. If I had more line to play with I could have kept the drag less and tired it out maybe. I seen the line running out and tightened it. :-/

tankgrunt
08-06-2005, 09:29 PM
MB, Once I had the drag on my Newell cranked down as tight as it could go and an 8 footer was still able to strip off 50# PowerPro.

fishkiller
08-07-2005, 05:07 PM
8)Masterbaiter you should save that reel for stripers and surf fishin. Braided is going to cut the reel where the line feeds out when the bail is flipped over. 1 or2 good fish that reel will be toast. just my .02 ;) :o 8)

PlugROCKSTAR
08-07-2005, 05:11 PM
MB if yeah want a good solid spinning Sturgeon reel look at Mitchell Nautil 7500 PGV or GV. I have the 7500 PGV i use on the Surf.

innovate
08-07-2005, 08:53 PM
MB,

I agree with the rest of the folks...80lb is too heavy. I have trouble breaking off 25lb test mono off the banks myself. I'd say no heavier than 40lb test braid. Personally I'd go with 30lb test.

later,
Roland

MB_Kevin
08-07-2005, 10:46 PM
Cool thanks for the info. I havent used it yet. maybe I will have to use it for other things. I got it on ebay. I put in a bid and got it without thinking :-/

JasonB
08-11-2005, 04:12 PM
Not to throw a monkey wrench in , but i have to say I like running 80 lb power pro . maybe it is a over kill . I have 40 and 60 on two other reels and it just feels better to me . But then again I like to fish the 80 - 100 ft of water . I some times have to use two pound weights and fight ripp'n tides .
Just my perspective 8)

PlugROCKSTAR
08-11-2005, 06:06 PM
it all comes down to personal preference. I will be switching to 80lbs Tuff Line XP this Winter. The smaller diameter the braid is, there is chance of slitting your index/thunb finger on a cast.

MB_Kevin
08-11-2005, 09:20 PM
Ill slice my finger for a chance at landing a sturgeon ;)
I know I lost something I think a sturgeon on 50 pound test so I was thinking of going higher. I will see when the season comes.
thanks for all the help ;)

PlugROCKSTAR
08-13-2005, 10:07 PM
Ill slice my finger for a chance at landing a sturgeon ;)
*I know I lost something I think a sturgeon on 50 pound test so I was thinking of going higher. I will see when the season comes.
*thanks for all the help ;)

beleive me i've had braid cut into my index finger on a cast :o desn't feel good at all.

fishermen_chris
08-14-2005, 06:47 PM
I thought you loved the pain of line slicing through your flesh. ;D

PlugROCKSTAR
08-14-2005, 07:31 PM
I thought you loved the pain of line slicing through your flesh. ;D

uummm NO thanks. it's been awhile since it happend. now i just jinx myself :-[

MB_Kevin
08-14-2005, 08:50 PM
:P

JIM_D.
08-15-2005, 05:26 AM
I have 80 lb spider wire on 2 of my reels that I use for trolling, love it, never lost a set-up after I put it on. I have pulled up logs with it. Be sure to put a base of mono before any braided line so it doesn't cut into your spool. Also, how old was the line that broke, I change mono every year, it gets frayed and weak after a year or so.

PlugROCKSTAR
08-15-2005, 08:48 PM
spider wire is gotta be the worst braided line money can buy. but then again it all comes down to personal preference. I personally dislike that product line. :-/

JIM_D.
08-16-2005, 05:59 AM
It's been REEL good to me but I have not tried any others. I got it because I was losing too many set-ups to snags while troling. Haven't lost one sinse getting it. Never got it by choice, got it by chance, first braided line I came across when I went looking for stronger line. I use the stealth. JIM D.

innovate
08-16-2005, 10:42 AM
spider wire is gotta be the worst braided line money can buy. but then again it all comes down to personal preference. I personally dislike that product line. :-/

I'll have to agree with you man. My two choices for braid are Stren Super Braid and Power Pro.

PlugROCKSTAR
08-16-2005, 10:46 AM
I'll have to agree with you man. My two choices for braid are Stren Super Braid and Power Pro.

Tuff Line XP and Power Pro for me. both Hi Vis Yellow.

innovate
08-16-2005, 10:53 AM
I've been getting the green color. I should be getting the highvis yellow instead though. Would be a lot easier on my eyes on my night bass fishing trips.

dimpala95
08-16-2005, 11:07 AM
It's all about line capacity. If your reel can't hold 250+ yards of 20# mono, it's too small. I hear all this breaking line when fish are on and running. How tight are your drags? You're only supposed to have your drag set for 25-30% of the line rating. If you hook into a "biggun" then it's time to pull the hook and chase that sucker. I have never broken or snapped my line with a fish on. I have had terminal tackle fail but not the line. You also have to be diligent about checking your mono for knicks or abrasions, especially towards the top end of your line. That is the biggest downfall of mono, it's susceptability to cuts and abrasions.

I've tried Power Pro and have switched back to mono. I personally don't like braided line. It knots too easy and you can't pick the knot out. It's also hard to tell if the line is damaged. It's also a biotch when your hook penetrates your line.