PDA

View Full Version : Relocating - Will my boat be ok?

fishhawk101
07-19-2005, 06:24 PM
I'm considering relocating to Santa Rosa. I currently live in Minnesota and have a 16 foot Lund Explorer with a 60 HP tiller. It's a true Minnesota walleye boat and it's not even one year old!

I was wondering if I could use this rig in northern CA and if so, what type of fish would it work best for??? I'm probably most interested in lakes within 3 hours drive of Santa Rosa.

I love all types of fishing and I don't want to bring the boat with me if it isn't useable. Can you guys please give me your honest opinions?

Thanks!

Oxbow
07-19-2005, 06:36 PM
That boat will work fine for fishing out here IMHO, by all means bring it along. I often fish in a 15 foot Gregor and just keep an eye on the wind. I fished for years here in NorCal in a 13 footer and caught lots of fish.

sashimi_express
07-19-2005, 06:37 PM
;D Fishhawk, come on down. Your boat is just fine and there is plenty of fishing within that 3 hour window. I also would like to welcome you to the boards. Again bring the Lund with you. you won't be sorry. ;D

iwishtobe
07-19-2005, 07:59 PM
i sure hope your lund will work. MINE DOES!!!!!

while this is not the great lakes, the delta wind, can and will cause some nice waves. pop in some sweet swells and you have need of a world class boat.

there is clear lake, on a hot afternoon, the wind picks up.
it can get to be just oh so much fun.

smaller lakes, say amador. sometimes i am on gas, sometimes on elect.

lund, crestliner,fisher and a host of others that were NEVER sold in california. are now what a lot of people use.
it may have taken time for the mid-west folks to sell us their boats, but we buy them and want more.

so come on out, bring your lund, get a fishing license for here and have fun!

fishhawk101
07-19-2005, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Is there any possibility of fishing the Pacific with a boat this small? Is there any sheltered saltwater area that I could hit?

Being a life long Minnesota guy, I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the species you have available in northern CA...and year round too.

AllFishNoWork
07-20-2005, 02:21 AM
From Santa Rosa and a 3 hour window you could probably easily fish a different lake every weekend for 6 months and catch 10 different species.

For starters, you'll have Berryessa(trout, kings, kokanee and many more) practically in your backyard and Indian Valley(big kokes and Eagle Lake strain rainbows)

iwishtobe
07-20-2005, 01:33 PM
san francisco bay, but then there is that wind thing. there is also fog and swells.

full moon area, 6-7 foot tide swings.

as far as the big water, most of the time, the boat weight was X metric TONS.....

you CAN fish from the fantail of a fast frigate, knox class.

sokoo
07-20-2005, 01:46 PM
A 16 ft sure can fish the pacific ocean. Just watch the forecast and don't pick a day to fight the wind or big swell. When weather is not bad, you will see smaller boats out there: 12 fter, inflatables, kayaks..... Sure maybe more than half of the boats heading out are the bigger 20' or 22', but that doesn't say that smaller ones can't. Knowing the area plus not taking the risk in bad weather is probably more important than increasing the size of your boat.

MoMoney
07-21-2005, 06:21 AM
The fall which is almost hear will offer some nice weather and a chance to get out in the ocean.If you ever get down to the santa cruz area you will see a 100 boats out there smaller than yours.During salmon season even more.No problem just pick your launches to be in the right area.there are plenty.

kstone44
07-21-2005, 07:55 PM
It would be a great boat for out here. Plenty of water within 3 hours of Santa Rosa. You can fish the Delta to the mountain lakes in that boat. If you here in time for the October opening at Pyramid we'll help you break it in Right ;D

fishhawk101
07-22-2005, 04:16 AM
Can you give me more info on the "Pyramid"? Also, what is the delta like? Sorry for such open ended questions. Thanks.

Rusty_Hooks
07-22-2005, 09:21 AM
The delta varies from open water, subject to wind wave action to calm inlet like river sections where the fishing can be outstanding.

If your trying to make up your mind about the tow...do it, the boat will be fine

Lake sonoma and Berryessa are within an hour and an hour and a half respectfully, the launch into the bay is within 30 minutes and the Petaluma river system about the same...

Lots of water, lots of fish varieties...not too many walleyes though ;D ;D

BassFooler
07-22-2005, 09:45 AM
The delta offers a whole plethora of fishing opportunities-
sturgeon, striper, (striPPers on extra hot days), bass, catfish- you name it. Nice thing about the Sacramento delta is that theres over 1,000 miles of waterways to fish- but, like open water, certain spots can get prettttty nasty when the wind is right.
Your rig will be fine-
Welcome to the boards!
BF

krzyfshrmn
07-22-2005, 06:29 PM
Your Lund will be great Fishhawk. Fishing the Pacific is definetly something you could do, or another option would be Tomalles Bay, which is'nt to far from Santa Rosa. Unlike the Midwest (I'm from Wisconsin) where meteorologists can't predict the weather right a day in advance, the weather and wave predictions for the Pacific are very accurate from a week away.

iwishtobe
07-24-2005, 11:59 AM
but when they are calling for REAL hot weather, you still hope that they are incorrect!

MankinD
07-27-2005, 06:36 PM
If you're concerned about your boat being a good match for our west coast variety fo fishing, bring it anyway and I'll buy it from you! Seriously, Lund has a great reputation for producing a great fishing platform no matter where you want to go.

Fishnfool
07-27-2005, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Is there any possibility of fishing the Pacific with a boat this small? Is there any sheltered saltwater area that I could hit?

Being a life long Minnesota guy, I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the species you have available in northern CA...and year round too.

I used to own a 16' Bayrunner and used it on nice days out of Bodega for salmon & rockfish with no problems. With small boats out there, you just have to watch the NOAA forecast and pull the trigger when you get those rare periods when the winds are calm and the swell is down.

I live 10 minutes north of Santa Rosa and fish out of Bodega regularly in my 20' Skipjack. If you do make the move, give me a call and I'll take you out fishing at Bodega and show you the ropes. Check your sniffer message box for my #

Dave

fishhawk101
07-31-2005, 05:11 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm really glad my rig will work out there. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good bait store in Santa Rosa and/or a good book about Northern CA fishing?

MankinD
08-03-2005, 09:05 PM
Outdoor Pro Shop in Rohnert Park for all things fishing related is your best source and yes they have a couple different books on Nor Cal and San Francisco bay fishing. About 5 minutes from Santa Rosa. (707)588-8033 and a Fish Sniffer advertiser. Also, Western Sport Shop for your flyfishing and hunting needs in Santa Rosa. Welcome to the neighborhood.

Doug

stilltrying
07-25-2006, 10:01 AM
HI
I AM NEW ON THIS BOARD AM GETTING A NEW BOAT BUT I ONLY LIKE GOING TO HALF MOON BAY ONLY AND NOT FREASH WATERS
I AM TRYING TO BUY A BOAT APP UPTO 12 K BUDGET
I AM A LITTLE CONFUSED AS TO WHAT TO BUY AS DEALERS SAY I NEED 21 FOOTER TO GO OUT I WAS LOOKING AT THE 17 FOOTER BAYLINER 175 OR A GALAXY .
THIS IS PROBALY THE ONLY NEW BOAT I WILL BUY IN MANY YEARS TO COME HENCE WANT TO BE SURE
THKS FOR YOUR ADVICE ALSO ANY GOOD DEALER I NEED TO KNOW
REGS
AL