PDA

View Full Version : Kicker motor to motor connector

Sierra_hillbilly
12-08-2005, 10:33 AM
Okay I need some help to build a rod to connect from my main outboard to my kicker motor. I've seen a few that use air couplings. I have a long piece of all thread. I need to know where and how to connect the couplings to the motors. Any advice would be great.
Thanks
Sierra_hillbilly

fish4fun
12-08-2005, 11:39 AM
SH, I didn't make my connector, but it's available at Cabelas for somewhere around $30. It mounts inside the boat and connects across the fronts of the motors. I kee[ it connected all the time and steer the kicker from the console via this connecting rod. Occasionally I've used the quick disconnect feature when I wanted to control the kicker with its tiller handle. There's probably a picture in Cabelas catalog or website that does a better job of describing it than I can do with words. Basically it's a threaded rod with a female connector screwed onto each end. The connectors go onto miniature ball hitches that mount to the front of the 2 motors. If the Cabelas unit will work for you it's probably not much more expensive than building your own. The unit has worked well for me for 3 years now.. Larry

ll_kaidoy_ll
12-08-2005, 01:07 PM
We use this. It's made by E.Z. Steer.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Item/01/09/74/i010974sq01.jpg

This picture may give you an idea where to make connections if you design yours this way.

Zucca
12-08-2005, 01:55 PM
S.H.;
If you are just interested in the $30 one, Sportsman's Warehouse in Reno has them. They also have some of the individual parts.

SuperDave
12-08-2005, 01:57 PM
Just sent you a PM, I have the coupler ends for the thread all you can have. There is a zert like fitting that bolts to each motor. That is all you would need.

Sardine
12-08-2005, 03:38 PM
I think all thread & something called a "Zues" fitting would work too if you want cheap & to do it yourself. They used to be in most hardware stores but I don't remember seeing one for a long time now.

skipper
12-08-2005, 09:58 PM
I made mine with threaded rod ends from Ace hardware. They are miniature ty rod ends that screw on to 3/8 rod. I used male ends but I've seen female ends at either Home depot or Lowe's. I used an air hose coupler for a quick disconnect. You probably will have to make some type of bracket to attach to the motor to bolt the rod ends to.

sellhomes2fish
12-09-2005, 03:21 PM
I'm using the tie-rod system from the from of the main and kicker motor. I have a EZ Steer too but like the tie rod system better. On my kicker (Nisan 5hp 4-stroke), the connector arm didn't stick out far enough so I built a plate out of plywood (would be better fabricated out of aluminum stock but I don't have the appropriate tools). It has held up for two seasons so far and works great.

SuperDave
12-09-2005, 04:50 PM
I found the motor clips as well. If you come down near Sac. I'll give you all the fittings. And you can see how it is connected on my boat.

Garden_Valley_Fish
12-10-2005, 06:10 AM
Tim
You can use throttle linkage fittings on the all thread .You can pick them up at an auto parts store.It qwick connects with ball joint fittings .A connection to you motors is what you'll need to figure out.On mine a small plate to mount the fittings is all that is needed.Hope this helps.
Rich

Fishsnuffer
12-12-2005, 03:09 PM
Don't forget the bungee cord stretched along the rod and connected to each fitting to reduce the vibration.

Sierra_hillbilly
12-13-2005, 08:53 AM
Thanks for all of the replies. I'm going to go out in the shop and mess around and see If I can make somthing before I buy it. Grew up with my Grandpa and he taught me to try to build it before you buy a new one. If all else fails I buy a new one. Thanks again for the pictures.
S_h

ITUKAWAL
12-13-2005, 01:44 PM
Hey there S_h. I grew up in the same era. Grampa use to say if it ain't broke don't fix it. So I broke it and an EZ Steer was the answer. Not cheep but beyond a doubt a good answer. I B Happy With It;D ;D ;D

ITITITITITITIT

Captain_Morgan
12-13-2005, 05:46 PM
Hey SH, *
Here's the setup i've got & cost about 50 bucks.Took me 20 min to install & can be bought at most major boat supply stores. It's all stainless. Looks kinda twisted cause i've got the main motor up. The rod comes off with stainless connectors,in 5 sec.Hope this helps.

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/DSC02427.JPG

Garden_Valley_Fish
12-13-2005, 07:10 PM
Capt does the bracket come complete that goes to the kicker?

Captain_Morgan
12-13-2005, 07:42 PM
GVF, * Not the bracket that bolts off the kicker motor,but the 2 small arms do. I can do a closer shot if you like.

Garden_Valley_Fish
12-15-2005, 05:03 AM
Thanks Capt. I see it ok. :D

fredrickj
12-19-2005, 07:40 AM
Capt: how much did the installation effect your steering? is it much more difficult when the main is pulling kicker around when it's up?