PDA

View Full Version : 12' Alum. Boat on top of a small SUV?

townsniffer
12-04-2005, 01:15 PM
I was wondering if a light 12' aluminum boat could be carried on top of a ford escape when secured to cross bars that are mounted to the rack tracks?
Any body tried this? or anything comparable?
I want to purchase some cross bars for my Escape that are 66" hoping that they would be adequate for my boat that is 48" wide. What I see as questionable is the cross bars would only be 48" apart. If the boat is centered over this 4' square and also secured at the ends, is this safe?
Any suggestions? *No, I cant trade the vehicle in. Hehehe
Bought the damned thing when I had a wife. Traded HER in!

Dennis
12-04-2005, 01:43 PM
The factory rack on my Explorer has a 100# limit. So I imagine that the racks that you get will also have a weight limit. Beyond that if it's secure side to side and front to back I don't see why it wouldn't work. You might check with the CHP or AAA and they might be able to advise or inspect it.

Anyone else?

townsniffer
12-04-2005, 03:05 PM
Thanks Dennis
I dont think my boat goes much more than a hundred.

Oxbow
12-04-2005, 05:43 PM
TS, I carried a 12 footer on top of my little 64 Chevy II many years ago and it worked out fine. Just make sure it is well secured.

ratss427
12-04-2005, 06:48 PM
we toss our 12' er on top of my dads 66 bronco all the time.weight is no problem.and those bronco cabs are small.center the weight ,and like oxbow said,tie it down well,and you should be good to go.

townsniffer
12-05-2005, 06:56 AM
Thanks Everybody, Thats what I was hoping to hear.
64 Chevy II ...NICE!

Set_The_Hook
12-06-2005, 10:59 PM
Townsniffer,
When I was a kid my dad put our boat on our 70 blazer. Never had a problem. I would however tie down the bow somehow. A good gust of wind from a semi at 60+ mph might cause some bad things if the boat decided to fly with the racks attached. Good luck.