PDA

View Full Version : Inherited  boat

abdbfan
11-29-2005, 03:33 PM
I inherited a boat over the weekend and it has a Volvo Pentra i/o engine. My question is, it has been sitting in Reno for the last 2 years untouched. Any suggestions on what I should do to get it running again. So far I figured I would change the oil and filter, plugs and maybe wires, new battery, fuel filter and maybe fuel lines, possible belts. Any other suggestions?

Fishmeister
11-29-2005, 03:44 PM
Drain and clean out the gas tank if you can get at it.

penn_yan_bill
11-29-2005, 05:50 PM
Be prepared to change the water pump impeller also.

916towerguy
11-29-2005, 07:37 PM
You better hope the water was drained out of the block and outdrive.

ctsron
11-29-2005, 09:02 PM
I went thru. the same scenario a couple of years ago and by far the biggest issue was the fuel tank. I did the impeller after I ran it shortly, now I find little things are going haywire because it sat for 5 years and is now getting used. PRAY that they drained the water out of it during the winter, otherwise your s.o.l, I know marine manifolds are not cheap, not to say it didn't crack the head. good luck, ask questions if you want..I started my project 3 years ago and am finally getting over the hump.

DinoBlaster
12-01-2005, 11:12 AM
Don't forget the trailer, I.E. Tires,hubs,brakes if any,wheel bearings. All the work on the boat won't do you any good if you can't get it to the lake safely ;) DB

Rusty_Hooks
12-01-2005, 11:22 AM
Just figure on replacing the wheel bearings and installing bearing buddies right off the top to get it home.

all new gas, fittings, filters, fluids, hoses, belts, points and plugs or ignition contacts...so you have a reference point to age them by...

Check the engine for oil and or water leaks, mineral buildup at the manifolds or risers...

Last thing you want......gee, I didn't replace that belt...(out in the middle of the lake)

I'm sure doc will chime in here

SuperDave
12-01-2005, 01:03 PM
If it is carburated, I'll bank on it needs some attention.

Oxbow
12-01-2005, 02:29 PM
Run a compression check before you start spending money on parts. The posts regarding if the engine was winterized/drained prior to sitting are most important!

dandeuce
12-02-2005, 02:52 AM
Sounds like it might be cheaper and definately less headache to just buy a new boat or at least one that has a history of maintenance . Good Luck !

Dan

drstressor
12-02-2005, 08:35 AM
I don't know about that. Boat rehabs can really be fun projects if you have the time. The more time you have, the less money you will have to throw at the problems. What kind of boat did you get abcdfan? If it's a quality hull, it's always worth it to bring them back.

If you are in Reno, I'd like to take a look at your boat.

ctsron
12-02-2005, 09:06 AM
I second that doc! I have had more enjoyment (except for replacing the floor >:( in 100 degree heat) i always enjoy sitting in the boat after completing a project,drinking a cold brew and day dreaming of fishing. Between registration, parts & supplies I have MAYBE $500.oo into a great river/lake boat that comfortably fishes 3 people.
Enjoy the process.

GCinGV
12-04-2005, 03:40 AM
If it is carburated, I'll bank on it needs some attention.
When they sit for a while the accelerator pump in the carb tends to dry out, crack and then start leaking after re-use. Itís a small plunger that part of the linkage goes to that you can get to on the outside of the carb most of the time. Quick and easy to replace.
GC

ctsron
12-04-2005, 09:39 AM
abdbfan- here is what I did when I got my boat that sat for about five years:

Clean out everything from the engine to the bow
I immediately removed fuel tank and flushed it out,luckily no rust.
The engine was rebuilt prior to parking the boat,but we pulled a compression check,flushed the oil and manifolds and I replaced/rebuilt EVERYTHING electrical.
Rebuilt the carb.
replaced fuel line and most of the wiring harness
we then fired it up to make sure all was godd (luckily it was) ;D
I then rewired the trailor,replaced the lights,replaced wheel bearings,tires and hubs (larger hubs)
after all this was done I replaced the floor and started the "BUILD"
enjoy the process, you will be very proud the first fish you catch out of it. funny thing is, we caught more stripers and bigger ones the first time I took it out than in my last "pre built" boat

keep us posted and ask questions!