PDA

View Full Version : aluminum boat

SalmoClarki
11-26-2005, 12:53 PM
i'm getting a 14-16' aluminum boat. I was wondering if i
can remove any of the benches. I wanted to make a floor
for pedastal seats, console and some storage for gas tank/batteries. I know cabelas sells hatches and bins. What
do you use for flooring? Do you have to use wood? Thanks

dandeuce
11-26-2005, 01:05 PM
NOT A GOOD IDEA ! , the benches are a major part of the support structure of the boat . Build around them or in between for needed storage .

Dan

SalmoClarki
11-26-2005, 01:11 PM
i just don't want to be sitting really high. What if I
welded some braces in place of the benches. I would asuume
the two rear benches are the main ones for hull integrity.
Some chrom-moly tubing couldn't hurt.

Erreck
11-26-2005, 01:44 PM
As long as you don't plan on putting a bunch of power on the boat, taking a bench or two out really won't hurt as long as you strengthen the hull where the bench(es) was/were removed by tying into the floor you want to install. The biggest thing you will want to compensate for after removing the bench, is the flotation foam. When I did mine, I put down about 5gl. of liquid foam before installing the floor boards. For the floors, I would say 3/4+" ply-wood is the cheapest and easiest. If you really want to do it well, use 1/4-3/8" aluminum sheet 8).

Dan is correct about losing support initially after the removal. But, depending on how well you rebuild, you could end up with a much stronger hull when you're done.

Sierra_hillbilly
11-27-2005, 09:50 PM
Is the boat rivited or welded? If it's rivited I would say yes go ahead and remove one bench but put in a support bracket across the boat for support.
S_h

SalmoClarki
11-28-2005, 03:33 PM
are the benches welded in on welded boats? i don't want a
riveted boat because of durability. I could plasma cut the bench.

survivor
11-28-2005, 04:53 PM
;D ;DWow man, you might be better off just buying an aluminum bassboat. If not you can make floor boards and mount a pedestal seat between the front and middle seats. I have converted many lumies to bass style boats and it can be done quite easily. You will add a lot of weight to it so I hope your motor is up to it. By the time you add batteries and a bow mount trolling motor it really adds up to alot of weight. But you can do it and make it look real good with carpeting and such. Just my 2 cents.
Paul aka Survior ;D ;D ;D