PDA

View Full Version : how do know if your outboard is installed correctl

svtfish
11-06-2005, 01:43 PM
I taking a good look at the installed height of my outboard,and I its not low enough in the water.
Richard

Erreck
11-06-2005, 05:28 PM
How does it run in the water as it is?

fishkiller
11-06-2005, 07:58 PM
8)Sometimes regular shaft outboards look like they need to be lower as to see the prop fully under the boat. It is more of an optical illusion the way you look at it. Picture it running and trimmed out on plane bet it runs fine but your trim will be very small degree. 8)

MoMoney
11-07-2005, 06:25 AM
Pm vance staplin.He seems to know alot about that as I remember discussing that same issue with him a few months back.

drstressor
11-07-2005, 08:23 AM
On a fishing boat, as long as your prop is not ventilating (sucking air with a resulting increase in rpm) you are probably alright. I used to obsess about getting my motors mounted just right, but I realized after a while that it's not worth it.

The general idea is to have the cavitation plate level or just below the lowest point of the hull at the transom. But it varies from hull to hull. Easy planning hulls like bass boats can handle a jacked up motor but deep V's and most modified V's cannot. You gain some top end and a little fuel economy if you mount a motor high enough to just avoid ventilation. But you can lose midrange performance and stability in a chop or in really bad water if you mount too high. The boat should run strong in a chop and the bow should raise up when you trim out without any ventilation. I've learned to err more to the side of lower rather than higher. The stock (lowest) position is generally fine. If a manufacturer knows that a particular hull needs a higher mounting position the dealers usually rig them that way. But I've seen more people "get happy" when they lowered their motor than after they tried to raise it.

Mr_Ed
11-07-2005, 11:31 PM
If the prop is facing away from the boat, your on the right track...( sorry ) I have had a lot of boats & motors; and not all of them worked TOGETHER. Most were under powered, wrong prop pitch (per elevation or work load)or over loaded. Once you get a boat, say to your self, what do I want it to do? Fish , waterski, both?
Most boat dealers in your area will tell you the right mounting info; or call the company that made the motor. The main thing to remember, is get a "saftyline" on it, so you will not lose it to davy jones locker & carry xtra shear pins!!