PDA

View Full Version : Hard to install boat carpeting?

dpsa98
10-30-2005, 08:22 PM
I just purchased an old tri hull boat everything is in great shape except the carpet. I would love to pull the seats, engine cover and anything else I need to pull and place some new carpet down in the boat. What kind of carpet do you use? Can you use regular outdoor carpet from a hardware store or do you need special marine carpet for outside weather? Also do you need a carpet pad down? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You,
Dave

Mickey_Thomas
10-30-2005, 08:30 PM
The first problem you'll have is getting the old carpet out, if it was installed correctly the glue is a mother to scrap off and sometimes you have to pull the carpet in little sections. Outdoor carpet will work but won't hold up as good as a good marine carpet. You don't need pad, you have to glue it directly to the hull, and you have to use marine glue. If you get the old carpet out consider using one of the pour and paint products instead of putting carpet back in it. Just my .02 cents.

gfishes
10-30-2005, 09:56 PM
A buddy of mine just put some of Cabela's vinyl flooring over the carpet on his l9ft Fisher...really works great...he can pull it up when he wants to use the boat with carpet, and put it back when he wants to fish.

Steelhead
10-31-2005, 12:55 AM
There are a number of problems associated with old fiberglass boats. The two biggest are water absorbtion by the foam and hull shape trueness.

If the boat is sound, spend the money on the good stuff. If it's marginal go to Walmart :-*

FISHSTALKER
10-31-2005, 05:10 AM
I installed new carpet in my old boat. I purchased a quality indoor/outdoor carpet from a local carpet peddler and I used cove base cement to install it. There is NO padding as this type of carpet doesn't use it. The job came out very good and was as good as the day installed when I sold the boat many years later. If you need to wrap the carpet around edges or gunel boards, use a staple hammer on the back side to hold the carpet in place. Good luck.

Fishmeister
10-31-2005, 03:33 PM
Both Cabela's and West Marine sell good boat carpet in a range of colors.

dpsa98
10-31-2005, 05:50 PM
Thank You all for your help, it looks like I have a few different ways I can go. I really like the Linoleum over the carpet idea for fishing that sounds like it could make clean up much easier.

Sardine
11-02-2005, 05:14 PM
Dale, that's a good idea with the stapler. I wanted to do that once & wanted to use stainless steel staples because of the salt air around here but couldn't find any. I figure it would be good idea anywhere. Does anyone know where to get stainless staples?

FISHSTALKER
11-02-2005, 05:49 PM
Here you go Harry....
http://www.stainless-fasteners.com/

Sardine
11-03-2005, 02:57 PM
Thank you for that. :D