PDA

View Full Version : boat leak update 3

somebody
10-29-2005, 03:31 PM
the only resonee i keep posting about leak is that it may save someone from swimming. i put the plug in at the shop and took it back to tahoe. we looked in bilge before putting in water and there was a lot of water. it was dry at shop. drained it and put it in. no leaks. back at shop floor jack under tonque and javked up all the way. out come more water. up all night more water. down today then back up more water. just let it down will stay about 1 hour then its going back up. the foam under deck must be saturated and if not now it was.

Oxbow
10-30-2005, 04:24 AM
Keep posting Somebody, I'm following the story and find it interesting. *If the foam is in fact soaked and has absorbed water, I'm wondering if someone screwed up and used "open" cell foam rather than "closed" cell foam which will not absorb water?

basil
10-31-2005, 09:49 AM
The boat could leak water out for a long time. But it should start as a fast drip and go to a slow drip in a day or so. It will take a least a month to get all the water out.

You need to drill a hole in each end of your hull and let air move through it. Then repair the holes when it is dry. The bigger the holes the better, but keep them down to a size that is easy to repair. It's not hard to patch a inch or two hole with fiberglass.

somebody
10-31-2005, 12:06 PM
i will probally take it to tahoe fishing tomorrow and see what happens. if i get water i am going to drill holes, about 4 or 5 inch inch in the deck where i can see inside. i have done quite a little fiberglassing in the past 50 years and i still balk at cutting below water-line.

SuperDave
10-31-2005, 12:14 PM
I take it that this boat doesn't have floor boards. Can something useful like a hatch be cut into the floor?

somebody
10-31-2005, 03:32 PM
this is a 18 foot fiberglass with an extra 1" deck and it is glassed over. the orig. deck was rotted out in couple places. its a 1973 with a steraight 6 chevy- mercruiser and about 28-30 mph at tahoe. wood cabin i built with heater and back curtain. i forgot its a tri-hull

basil
11-01-2005, 12:24 PM
i will probally take it to tahoe fishing tomorrow and see what happens. *if i get water i am going to drill holes, *about 4 or 5 inch inch in the deck where i can see inside. *i have done quite a little fiberglassing in the past 50 years and i still balk at cutting below water-line.

If you have decent experience fiberglassing there's no reason to fear doing below the waterline work. For a half inch hole, which should be plenty in your case, you just need to feather the hole by sanding from the edge of the hole out. Use graduated sized pieces of glass cloth as you come out of the hole.

The real trick is to prewarm the area you are going to work on to around 80 or 90 degrees. Then stop warming it and apply patches and resin. Allow the resin to cure in a cooling environment, but don't let it cool below 60 degrees. This insures a beautiful bubble free finish. If the area warms after the patch is applied it will cause it to bubble.

somebody
11-01-2005, 02:12 PM
update 4----went to tahoe today-fished for about3 1/2 hrs till the wind came up and started white caps. went about 2 1/2 mile no of cave rock and fish from 40 --the bottom. fish everyplace. got back to the dock and there was about 2 cup fulls of water in bilge. was hitting 2-3 foot waves and rocking so maybe it just shook some more out. checked about 4-5 times while water was flat and nothing. I do appreciate the advice about patching. thanks i think its ok now

somebody
11-02-2005, 08:47 PM
just thought i should label last report

Sierra_hillbilly
11-03-2005, 04:35 AM
As most people know I just re fiberglassed the red snapper which is a 15' trihull. I had never used fiberglass in my life and it is very easy. If you want the materials go to www.tapplastics.com and they will hook you up with the best materials. They have slow drying resin for cold applications which I used. I live above placerville and it gets chilly at night so the resin needed to be a resin I could use in the cold. It worked great. The only leaks I have are from the engine kicking water into the boat when I'm on plane.