PDA

View Full Version : Good deal on a Gregor?

bjs65stang
10-27-2005, 08:31 PM
I am looking at purchasing a 1990 Gregor 13ft with a 1980's 8 horse Johnson Sea Horse and an EZ-Loader galvanized trailer and spare tire ;D. The guy says the set-up is in excellent condition and the motor start up on the first pull every time. He is asking $1,600 for it. Does this seem reasonable? ???

fish4fun
10-28-2005, 07:07 AM
It may be reasonable, but it sounds a little high. I've seen 14 ft Klamaths with motors(9.9 to 15hp) that age or newer going for less. Gregors are good hulls comparable to Klamaths. It's probably worth checking out and seeing what the rig looks like.. Larry

OregonBill
10-28-2005, 07:21 AM
Fish4fun: Would you expand on Gregor being a better hull than Klamath? I am hoping to be able to pop for a new Lowe or Crestliner welded hull, but may have to settle for riveted and used, so I am very interested in hearing opinions about basic hull quality between the different manufacturers. Lots of Klamaths, Gregors, Valcos and Smokers around here in riveted boats.

Set_The_Hook
10-28-2005, 09:25 AM
Stang,
Two years ago I bought a 14' Gregor (84 vintage) with a 15 hp suzuki 2 stroke injected (97) with a trailer & fishfinder for 1600.00. The price may be a little high. I would probably offer him around 1200.00 to find somewhere in the middle. Before you buy, check the oil in the lower unit and do a compression check on the motor. The oil will show if the lower unit is making metal (going bad) look for shiny flakes and overall oil condition (if you didn't already know). Also, insist on seeing the motor run, to see if the water pump is working. You will see water spraying out of a little hole if it is working.
I really like mine for now. (until I my family outgrows it.) As for Klamath vs Gregor, rumor has it that the klamath folks started out at gregor and then went out on their own. I think both boats have an equal good name.

fresnofshfan
10-28-2005, 01:41 PM
I got a 1975 Gregor W/ Mid 80's 2 Stroke 25Hp Merc on a dilly with a FF and trolling motor for $1500
Gregor is all welded and I fish High Sierra lakes with lots of rocks and didnt want to mess with the rivets.

Klamath rumor is true. My landlord Woody is one of the relatives of the founder. I emailed "Gregor" about a Bimini top ,Woody Gregory emailed me back and I said hey thats my LL! There is also a Valco/Gregor rumor I am waiting to talk to him about.

Durb
10-28-2005, 08:26 PM
Oregon Bill The klamath and Gregor boats are welded. Valco boats are riveted. Some of the older klamath boats I think were riveted also. For the last several years thay have been a welded boat. Westcoaster (made buy Hulls Inc. ie valco ) are a welded version of the valco hull. As far as the which one to look at or buy. You can't go wrong with either including a westcoaster. They all make good hulls. Few small differences between them. I own a 16' gregor now and like it. Never owned a klamath but was looking to buy one when I found my gregor. If you are buying used Make Sure the boat fits right on the trailer. If not set up properly on the trailer bunks it can cause problems with a riveted or welded hull. I recently saw a 2 year old boat that was on the wrong type of trailer. The bottom of the boat looked real wavy. The flutes along the bottom cannot sit directly on the bunk.
Valco is no longer in business. Klamath has purchased the patterns on some of there boats. I believe they will be building some of the bayrunner models and others. Good luck with your search.
Durb

fish4fun
10-28-2005, 10:49 PM
I didn't say that Gregors were better than Klamaths. What I meant is that Gregor makes a good boat just like Klamath does. Both are welded, well built boats. Either one is a good boat to pick up used.. Larry

bjs65stang
10-29-2005, 08:25 PM
I bought the boat today. It was a 1989 with a late 80's 8hp and the trailer is a Shoreline. However it is a 14ft not a 13 like the guy said it was.

Set_The_Hook
10-29-2005, 09:31 PM
Good deal Stang,
I think you will like it. Good boats.
STH

Erreck
10-29-2005, 09:42 PM
Good deal Stang! 8hp is a good power for that boat size. It's just enough to get you around the lake at a good speed, and small enough that you can troll with it if you want.

bjs65stang
10-30-2005, 09:33 AM
I am looking at replacing the 8hp with a new Mercury or Johnson 9.9 or 15 horse 4 stroke. Any suggestions???.

Thanks

dimpala95
11-02-2005, 12:39 PM
Go with a 20hp four stroke. If you're comtemplating a 15hp you might as well go up to a 20hp since it is essentially the same motor. I think they're all about the same. Some people are brand loyal while others are just looking for the best deal. I would go with the best deal.