PDA

View Full Version : Trolling motor battery

SideJump
10-23-2005, 04:40 PM
My battery is bad. I think I over charge it. Had problems with it ever since I put the thing on the charger for 3 days. I didn't think it would hurt it since it was on the "trickle" stage, but I guess it did.

Anyway, I need to buy another battery. How are the one's at Costco and Sam's club? Any good?

SJ

Klamdog
10-23-2005, 05:55 PM
sidejump,
I have two batteries, one from Sams, and one from Costco. Both have been good for me, and you can't beat the price!

FishMischief
10-23-2005, 06:04 PM
Might want to invest in a "smart" charger that turns off when its done.

Klamdog
10-23-2005, 07:31 PM
fishcrazed is right! I forgot to add that my charger kicks off when it reads the battery as fully charged. I thought they all did that, but I guess not. It sure is nice though when you forget to unplug the charger!

SideJump
10-24-2005, 05:01 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I knew that most chargers reduced amp's to a maintenance trickle, but I didn't know that some shut all the way down. I'm going to have to look into a new charger.

Some time ago I read something about batteries designated under certain "groups". What does this classification mean? Should you get a certain one for a trolling motor v.s. a starting motor?

SJ

cheesehead
10-24-2005, 06:11 AM
YES!!

Great topic, I think battery selection/maintenance is the MOST important thing in boating (or camping). and I had to learn this the hard way. Remember no battery should ever be stored with out a full charge. That means putting your triple charger (BULK, ABSORBTION, FLOAT) on right when you get home.

I'm no expert on the different types, BUT there are several.

Generally there are three 'styles'
1. starting (cranking amps) this is in your car and generally can handle the short charges through the altenater pretty well.

2. hybrid (starting/deep cycle) usually marked as 'Marine' in the stores. This is what most people put in the boat because it will start your motor effectively and run you small electronics for a while. (fish finder etc..)

3. Deep cycle. (true deep cycle) This battery has very little cranking amps. (think of a golf cart battery)

I have Trojan 105 (two 6 volt deep cycle's) on my camper and I could literally last without a charge for 5-7 days straight. (typically most people are charging their batteries daily w/ a generator, because they have the hybrid battery)

For a boat, your main battery should be a good hybrid. For an elec. trolling motor look into a true deep cycle.

check out www.trojanbattery.com

Empire
10-24-2005, 01:39 PM
SideJump-I learned the hard way about chargers that are supposed to drop down to a maintenance charge. Nowadays I just charge for 24 hours with my "automatic" chargers then unplug them.

"Group" refers to the size of the battery and location of the terminals. For your boat's trolling battery a group 27 or 31 (bigger than a 27) would be ideal. Delco recently came out with a new size, they call a 30. It is slightly larger than a 27 but has 12% more useable power.

I have a pretty good contact in the business, send me a PM and I can get you prices.

SideJump
10-24-2005, 06:12 PM
Empire, thanks for explaining the "group" number designation. One of the batteries I was talking about over the phone was a group 27. I hope it's still good.

I had some of the canned smoke salmon for a snack. Awesome! I like the garlic flavor.

SJ

Fishmeister
10-25-2005, 09:28 AM
I purchased two Autolite deep cycle from KMart and then two Trojan's. Went through a set of Trojans and my second set does not last as long as the Autolites. I have a 24 volt 64# MinKota.
My experience with Trojan has been less than satifactory. When I took my first set back I was told that Trojan lowered it's warrenty period because of to many troubles.

Fishmeister
10-26-2005, 02:38 PM
Good wesite on deep cycle batteries.

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm#Amp-Hour Capacity

SideJump
10-26-2005, 07:52 PM
Fishmeister, very informative website. I'm not a mechanic so my knowledge on batteries is very limited. Like, I know it supplies electricity and it run things. That's about it. Thanks for the help.
S.J.

LKTROR
10-29-2005, 09:55 AM
:) Check out "Batterytender.com". I just ordered one, they look like they maybe the answer to battery life?

SideJump
10-29-2005, 06:33 PM
JNE, let me know how it works out. I'd like to know if you could leave it hooked up for a few days without it doing any damage.

S.J.