PDA

View Full Version : Any input on this Tracker??

Erreck
10-12-2005, 02:52 PM
I'm happy to say, that I just got a little raise at work. Not big enough to let me get my 21' North River Trapper :-/, but enough to allow me to get a little nicer/new boat.

I've been looking seriously at the Tracker shown below... It's the Tracker Super Guide V-16 WT NW.

http://www.trackermarineadcreator.com/media/tracker/images/SGV16NWF0405_PB_05_700.jpg

I plan on getting it with a 25hp motor. I decided to not go with the 40hp because I really don't need it. I'll add fish finder, GPS, VHF, electric D.R.s, and a few other odds and ends when the time comes.

Does anyone have any experience with this boat?

If so, I'd like to hear what is had to be said about it. Good, bad, and the ugly ;D.

Mickey_Thomas
10-12-2005, 03:51 PM
They are good boats, but I'd get the bigger motor ;) unless you always fish alone that is. ONce you get all your equiptment on there it will weigh a lot more than it does in the picture.

huggyspot
10-12-2005, 03:54 PM
I also thimk youll be sorry if you get it with the 25,
there is nothing worse than an under powered boat.

Erreck
10-12-2005, 04:18 PM
I've actually given a lot of thought to the power issue. Originally, I had planned on the 40hp. Then I started thinking about how I am going to use the boat, what waters I plan on fishing with it, and how much I will/won't be alone.

After considering all of these, and many more, criteria, I decided on the 25hp.

To give all of you some insight, I only use a 4hp on my 14'er and love it :). I'm not power hungery.

MankinD
10-12-2005, 04:40 PM
Erreck, I would still recommend the bigger motor. Our fishing preferences tend to evolve...someone might invite you to try sturgeon or stripers on the bay or big macs on some large windswept lake and you might change your fishing preferences. Who would have thought this self proclaimed Flyfisher would enjoy trolling so much...even an old dog learns a new trick once in a while. I'd hate to be on the east side of Pyramid when the wind starts ripping with only a 25hp. Equip for any eventuality.

Doug

Erreck
10-12-2005, 04:52 PM
All good points Doug. But, this is not going to be a long term boat. I only plan on having it for probably 2 years, maybe 3. At that point, I will be getting my NR. ;D

If this were going to be a long term boat, my vote would also be for the 40hp (if not the 60).

MankinD
10-12-2005, 04:56 PM
Good plan. I still need more than one type of boat for my fishing ventures.

Doug

sashimi_express
10-12-2005, 06:32 PM
;D ;D Erreck. I have the very same boat as you are looking at with the 25 and I love it. I have owned 3 Trackers a 04 pro deep v 17 a 05 Targa 18 and this one. The others were faster and had more features and storage but this boat just seems to fish better than the other two. This is just a transition boat for me until I can get into a North river. I will say that it is easy to pull and super easy to manuver. The draft is super shallow and with the motor trimmed up you can run in some real skinny water. In my honest opinion you can't go wrong buying this boat. By the way where are you going to buy it?

triggerfish
10-12-2005, 06:57 PM
get the biggest motor,that 25 will be a dog.It will be a LOT EASYER to sell,when your ready! :)

survivor
10-12-2005, 07:45 PM
;D ;DYes I agree with triggerfish. If this is going to be a short term boat. Resale, resale, resale, with a 25hp you will not move the boat as easily as a 40hp. take it from one who knows. Besides if you ever, and we all have at least once, get caught in a sudden storm or wind, the larger motor will get you to safety a lot sooner. But again resale, resale, resale. Just my 2 cents.
Paul aka Survivor ;D :D ;D

Beaver13
10-13-2005, 05:37 AM
Erreck i own a pro angler v16 with a 50hp Mercury on it and love it. I to bought the boat with the thought of selling it to get my dream boat. Trust me the 25hp wont be enough, spend the extra and put the 40hp on it.What ever you decide congrats and enjoy ;).

FishMischief
10-13-2005, 02:56 PM
Resale is a good point. I just bought a used Tracker (which I love) and I would not have purchased it with a 25hp. It really needs a minimum of 40hp to be versital enough to sell quickly and at a good price.

Let me know when your ready to sell ;D

gfishes
10-14-2005, 06:05 PM
I had the V14 Guide model with a 25 Merc on it...just right...I am in agreement with the guys who are suggesting a 40hp....the only thing I did not care for in my Tracker was all the carpeting...floor, gunnels, etc...I sold mine and bought a Lund with the vinyl floor and really like it because it is so easy to keep clean...If you can get the Tracker with vinyl flooring, you might want to consider it.

Mutt
10-14-2005, 07:34 PM
one of my buds have that same boat he went with the 25 sure it pushes it but its a dog dont plane well with it at all. i have a tracker pro team 18 18 foot bassboat i have a 60 in it i have to always slow down and wait for him and thats not even running at my cruising speed of 30mph. the way i look at is is its your decision to make but i myself would recomend like the others have said and go with the 40. i wish i went with the 110 for my boat

drstressor
10-14-2005, 08:25 PM
That boat need at least 40 hp. I can't understand why people are arguing. ???

FishMischief
10-14-2005, 09:36 PM
LOL Doc really cuts to the chase.

I agree with gfishes about the carpet. I am going to have to replace my varpet and you can bet it will be with vinyl flooring.

fish4fun
10-14-2005, 09:52 PM
The picture of the Tracker looks like it maybe doesn't have any carpets. It looks like a fairly stable, fishable hull. Like others, I'd go with the 40 hp rather than the 25 hp. A friend of mine had a 17 footer that was underpowered with a 50 hp motor. Had trouble getting it on plane with 3 people in the boat. The passengers had to go up past the windshield on the front deck so it would plane off. He was never happy with it.. Larry

Erreck
10-16-2005, 06:48 AM
Perhaps... I will give more consideration to the motor size. The simple fact is, I DON'T NEED 40hp. I will, however, talk it over with the wife. Now, can we please put the motor issue to rest 8)?

That being said, does anyone have anything to say good or bad about the hull and/or the fishability of the boat?

The one thing I really liked initially was the fact that this model, unlike most of the other Trackers, comes standard with the vinyl floors.

Mickey_Thomas
10-16-2005, 07:11 AM
Settle down Erreck, we're just trying to help ::) I don't think any of us down graded the boat itself, I'm sure the hull and composition of the entire boat is a good one for fishing. ;D

Rusty_Hooks
10-16-2005, 07:21 AM
40hp is a good note to rest on Erreck.....I'm with the guys too....not power hungry....just better balance and resale when it goes up for sale in the very near future ;) ;D ;D

Erreck
10-16-2005, 07:29 AM
40hp is a good note to rest on Erreck.....I'm with the guys too....not power hungry....just better balance and resale when it goes up for sale in the very near future ;) ;D ;D

Resale was the one thing that may sway me, and I'm glad the issue was brought up :).

survivor
10-16-2005, 07:35 AM
;D ;DEnough of motor size! I have had a 17V Tracker, it's a great boat, rides well. High sides, nice and safe, takes big water well and is super fishable for all species. It does have a little problem if it's windy and you're bass fishing in the bow, the wind kinda pushes you around, but all in all the boat is a great all round boat. It especially shines when you're trolling, either for kokes, trout or striper and such. Nice and comfortable, plus the added protection of the windshield and full canvas just kick back with your rods in the water and a hot cup of coffee, ahh life is good!!! Now I want fishing reports as soon as use your boat plus pictures,hehehe. Good luck,
Paul aka Survivor :) :)

Erreck
10-16-2005, 07:36 AM
Settle down Erreck, we're just trying to help ::) I don't think any of us down graded the boat itself, I'm sure the hull and composition of the entire boat is a good one for fishing. *;D

I'm good Mick 8). I know that everyone's trying to help, and they have. Sometimes, it just seems as though a dead horse is being beaten repetitivly. ;)

SideJump
10-16-2005, 08:11 AM
Congradulations on your raise. The boat looks very fishable and by judging by all the post it appears so. I guess the only discision you have to make now is whether or not you want to buy it.

If this is a stepping stone boat, meaning your going to upgrade in 3-5 years, I would force myself to be more patient and wait. If I couldn't wait I would get a used one. Keep in mind, when you get "new" there is always driving off the lot depreciation. Maybe not as much on a boat, but there still is. When I bought may first "used" boat I was able to sell it for just about the same price 5 years later. Very little lose and it satisfied my fishing "jones".

Sorry if I'm sounding fiscally responsible right now, but I think we've all been in your position. We get very exited in buying new boat. Good luck.

SideJump

Erreck
10-16-2005, 08:18 AM
Good point SideJump! The problem I had with buying used, is that I can not find this (or a similar) boat within a reasonable distance.

I did see one that was a possibility in the Sac area, but it was just different enough from what I want that I couldn't see getting it and being happy.

sokoo
10-16-2005, 09:39 PM
Agree Erreck. I just bought a new boat, and before making my decision I was trying to buy a good used one that fits my needs. But it was difficult. Most used boats are of the pleasure boat style and not ideal for fishing. Sounds like most fishermen fish their boats until they are really old, which fails my reliability criteria. The difference was I wanted to buy one and use it for many years to come, so I picked a new one that I liked best. If I were to buy one for just a couple of years I probably would have bought a cheap used boat, or an used one that's not perfect to me, since I would get that dream boat in a couple of years anyway.

People here also advised me to put more HP on the motor. I know they were trying to help and appreciated their suggestions, but I insisted on powering my 17' Gregor with 40HP. I think mine is about as heavy or as big as the Tracker you are thinking about, although slightly longer.

SideJump
10-17-2005, 01:54 PM
It is definitely very, very, difficult to find a used boat that's one, in your budget, and two, a boat that fits your needs. On the other hand, new boats are so expensive! It's worse buying a new boat than it is buying a new car. The mark up on a new boat is rediculas (+18%). That's why when I bought my new boat it was one that I was going to keep for a very long time.

FishMischief
10-17-2005, 09:08 PM
I do have to say after running my 1990 16' Tracker Pro Deep V at Pryamid in 3 to 4' swells that it handled really really well. I turned around at the 4'ers cause I wasn't comfortable enough. It probably would have been fine. I do wish mine had a dual console becuase it would have kept some water out of my face better. Passengers can get cold on those freezing morning with the wind right on them.

Nice multi species boat, has a nice size platform with seat up front and plenty of room in back for trolling.

My scotty manuals flush mount on the gunnels with plenty of room.

sunracer1957
10-18-2005, 09:28 AM
Just some advise

Wait till the end of the model year and buy a left over,, the dealers will bend over backwards to get rid of them and with the money you save buying one you can upsize the motor..

Mutt
10-22-2005, 04:34 PM
what do i think of tracker well when i decide to buy a new boat it will be tracker again. to be honest there are lots and lots of great boats out there. but for the price of a tracker and the goodies you get with it you cant beat it for price and reliabilty. as for fishing they are great. mine is the pro team 18v bass boat ive got down riggers on it etc i troll for trout salmon etc plus fish for bass. love my tracker and wont ever look at a crestliner again since i got this one.