PDA

View Full Version : Do black boxes really work?

norcalfishslayer
10-20-2005, 05:16 PM
I'm thinking of getting one, but only have read a small amount on them. What do you guys think? Do thy really work, or are they just voodoo? Should I buy or not? ??? IF I do, where should I look to get the best price. I see Cabelas has them for $100, which seems to be the going price. Thanks in advance..

frank

somebody
10-20-2005, 06:12 PM
they do and salmon fishers been useing voltage for years. sportsmans warehouse 69.00 i think

norcalfishslayer
10-20-2005, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the info. Anyone else?

drstressor
10-20-2005, 10:20 PM
In short, they do make a difference on most boats under certain conditions. If you do a search for "black box", you can read a lot about them. Most of the old threads are on the Trout Board.

norcalfishslayer
10-21-2005, 07:24 AM
In short, they do make a difference on most boats under certain conditions. If you do a search for "black box", you can read a lot about them. Most of the old threads are on the Trout Board.

Thanks Doc.

While I have you here... We talked about motor oils the other day, and you gave me some good info. I went back and looked at the synthetic oil I was thinking about using with the diesel adative package and it's 5w-40. Not sure if I should run something that thin in the boat. I've run it in my diesel truck before, but I don't typicaly run my truck at 3000+rpm's either. Wha'cha think?

frank

drstressor
10-21-2005, 07:55 AM
Synthetic 5W-40 diesel engine oils work great in boat engines. So do 15W-40 conventional diesel oils if you don't have to deal with below freezing startups. Mobil Truck & SUV and Rotella T have been used by many folks with good results. They have about the same operational viscosity as 25W-40 Mec oil.

You hijacked your own thread. ;)

norcalfishslayer
10-21-2005, 08:37 AM
Synthetic 5W-40 diesel engine oils work great in boat engines. So do 15W-40 conventional diesel oils if you don't have to deal with below freezing startups. Mobil Truck & SUV and Rotella T have been used by many folks with good results. They have about the same operational viscosity as 25W-40 Mec oil.

You hijacked your own thread. ;)

Rotella T synthetic is what I'm looking at. I have used it in my truck diesel before. I notmally use the standard Rotella T. I guess I will try the T synthetic in the boat and see how it works.

I knew I could get away with hijacking my own thread. ;D
Thanks for the info...

frank