PDA

View Full Version : Valco vs. Klamath

Concord_Mike
10-19-2005, 10:59 AM
I'm looking to get a 16'-18'center console.Is this a Ford vs. Chevy thing or is it more than that.Thanks for any info! Also is there any place I can go to see them side by side

tdekens
10-19-2005, 11:42 AM
my only suggestion is to get a westcoaster instead of a valco. the westcoaster is the welded version and wont leak since its not riveted. I love my westcoaster but am selling it.
2Shakes ;D ;D 8)

SideJump
10-19-2005, 12:40 PM
When comparing WestCoasters to the Klamath, try to find a WestCoaster "Wide Body". They are wider and deeper. However, I think they are more difficult to find.

I had owned a 15' wide body. It came with a side console and had side rails. I know later models came with a walk-thru. The 17' walk-thru was a pretty nice boat.

The Klamaths are also very nice. I suppose if you had a choice and both were readily available you would be lucky. I sold my Westcoaster to this guy at this website: http://www.boats4fishing.com. I didn't know he owned this place. There's a Klamath there for sale. I think it's the exact boat you're looking for.

Here's some advice if you consider buying it there. I sold my Westcoaster to him for 4K. He was trying to sell it for 7.5K. Good Luck.

SideJump

sellhomes2fish
10-19-2005, 01:49 PM
I have a Westcoaster 172 Widebody and think it's a nice all around size for lakes and the delta. I am pretty happy with the quality and ride. I have looked at the Klamaths (who took over the Valco operations) and they are quite similar. You might want to consider Gregor too if you're making the comparison.

ghostfish_slayer
10-19-2005, 04:03 PM
i bet he played the role and hammered you on the price also.knowing all along he could almost double his money..

Durb
10-19-2005, 05:22 PM
Here's some advice if you consider buying it there. *I sold my Westcoaster to him for 4K. *He was trying to sell it for 7.5K. *Good Luck.

SideJump

I am sure he talked a big story to you. I have seen his operation. He is so far from reality it is not funny. His prices are way to high. The stuff he tells you to try to sell you something is a joke. I have had at least 12 aluminum boats from 12-18' over the years and feel confident on my knowledge about them. Either he knows very little or just tells you anything to sell you something. Not to say I have not wanted to buy 1-2 of his boats over the years. It's just the inflated price of 2-3K more than what it's worth. He makes a used car salesman look good. You might have a different experience. This has been mine the few times I have met with him.
You can't go wrong with either a westcoaster, klamath or gregor. There all good boats. Center console models under the valco / westcoaster name will be a bayrunner in most cases. The newer ones (90's)will be wider than the (80's models) I had a 18' gregor sea hawk CC. Liked that boat. Had a 15' CC bayrunner. Little small for a CC. Never owned a Klamath. I was looking for one though when I was in the market. They are nice boats. I believe they have more flotation then the other two.
I now have a 16' Gregor. SC with my first four stroke motor. (45hp honda) I like this boat Wife says. "You will keep this one" ;D Don't be afraid to look outside of CA. Orgeon ect. I bought mine in texas and saved a bunch of $

Want a nice 18' Westcoaster Bayrunner. Talk to Hammer or Mickey. Hammer still had his when I talked to him at pyramid fest. ;)

Klamdog
10-19-2005, 05:39 PM
Side Jump and Durb,
That guy has beat me out of a couple boats that I've wanted the last couple of years. *He scours every paper in the state and buys them without seeing them. *He definetely knows a good deal. *Then he doubles the price! *Problem is, he's reading the classifieds on-line before I can even read my paper the next day! *By the way, all three boats that I've owned are Klamath's, and I've loved every one of them. *And, you probably know this, but Klamath now owns, and manufactures Westcoaster.

netman
10-19-2005, 06:22 PM
I owned a 15.4ft klamath with a 40hp suzuki and just loved the boat,had to buy a bigger one for a family of 4

Klamdog
10-19-2005, 07:12 PM
Concord Mike,
I just talked to a guy I know, and he's listing his 16' center console Klamath this weekend. I'm in Concord, He's in Concord, everyone's in Concord! I think you could get a real good deal on it! PM me your phone number if you are interested, and I'll give all the Info.

fresnofshfan
10-20-2005, 09:11 AM
Id go Gregor! All welded great boats. Mine is a 1975 and only has a couple small dribble leaks and it has been used!
www.gregorboats.com

FFF

SideJump
10-20-2005, 12:17 PM
Klamdog,
He found my boat on the Fishsniffer Classifieds. I think his name was Mike too. Anyway, he stopped by my house first and offered to buy it. I told him he would have to wait because another guy called me from the Bay Area and wanted to see it. Then the guy from the Bay couldn't make it so the boats4fishing guy bought it. He plopped down cash and implied that he was buying it for personal use.

I pictured him fishing in the boat with his kids. You know, you feel glad you sold it to someone who was going to put it to good use. Then a couple weeks later I had a hunch so I pulled up the boats4fishing website and there she was... may old boat.

So yes, he does beat out others on boats and yes Durb... he does come in disguise.

SideJump

Klamdog
10-20-2005, 03:20 PM
Sidejump,
That would have really burned me! He's only beat me to boats that I've wanted, only to see them on his website the same day! Oh well, someone once told me you've got to be a good liar to be a good businessman! Or come in disguise! Happy Fishing!

MankinD
10-20-2005, 07:49 PM
Hey Concord Mike, the Klamath factory is only 30minutes away from you on Mare Island in Vallejo. Talking to my local dealer, they sound like a very friendly and personable crew. Might be worth taking a drive over for a tour of the factory and a chance to talk to the owner about what makes a good boat. There is something to be said for buying local if a warranty issue ever comes up. Also, the Valco is a riveted hull....nuf said.

Doug