PDA

View Full Version : I need info. on a REALLY old outboard!

Klamdog
10-16-2005, 05:39 PM
After I returned home from a lousy morning out in Pittsburg, I was helping my uncle clean his parents garage out. *We ran across a very old Evinrude outboard. *I'm hoping someone out there can lead me somewhere where I can find out a little info. on this motor. *I'm guessing it's at least 50-60 years old. *Any info. would help! *Thanks. *

fish4fun
10-16-2005, 10:13 PM
Klamdog, if there is a picture you could post, I might be able to make a pretty good guess about the age. I had my first outboard (a Johnson) as a young kid back in 1949 and avidly followed the outboard motor market all through the fifties. I don't know of any website that has archives of old Evinrudes. I'd like to find one just for nostalgia sake.. Larry

fishkiller
10-17-2005, 04:04 AM
8)there are clubs that are formed for owners of old motors, some have stores on ebay. antique outboards on ebay motors. 8)

FishMischief
10-17-2005, 08:47 AM
the forums on iboats.com may be a good resource. Lots of good info there and people anwer fairly quickly.

regal_rish_on
10-17-2005, 10:04 AM
Sutter marine in yuba city should be able to help you i had a 68 evinrude with nothing to go on cept the vin and they gave me my year. I think theres a way to read the vin as in certain numbers of it tell you hp and yr (i think) any way if you need their number lmk and i will dig it up.

Klamdog
10-17-2005, 05:42 PM
Thanks Guys,
I was able to talk with someone today who restores vintage motors. *He told me that with the serial number, it's a 1939 evinrude "elto lightwin". *He was'nt able to tell me much more about it, but gave me a few more leads, and he would'nt tell me if it had any monetary value. Again, any more info. would be great. *Thanks.
If this # helps any of you (4313 04033). The guy I spoke with today told me that this is both the model #, and serial #. The first four numbers being the model number, and the last five numbers are the serial number. *