PDA

View Full Version : leaky aluminum

fishingitup
10-10-2005, 10:26 AM
What is the best way to fix a leaky aluminum that is riveted????

thanks

Set_The_Hook
10-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Fish,
There are many different ways to go about your fix. I did a quick googl search for aluminum repair and came up with many different suggestions. One is here http://pagebiz.com/bds/aluminum/alum.5/11585.html
Aside from resealing the seam and re-bucking the rivets there are many commercial adhesive/sealants out there to help you out. I don't remember the name of the stuff we used some years ago, but it was a putty that came in a stick. Worked great. You just kneeded it and applied it to the area needing repair.
Hope you find something.

Set_The_Hook
10-10-2005, 11:18 AM
Just found this. http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/to.jsp?eclDrill=648&TYPE=MORE

just_hooked
10-10-2005, 06:34 PM
Hi, I use to have a leaky aluminum boat few years back and I went to the boatshop and picked up some " glovit ". I painted the leaks with it and it worked great.The stuff is flexable and won't crack.

FreshwaterFrank
10-10-2005, 06:47 PM
Go to Kragens & buy some of that paint-on bedliner stuff. Add a little clean sand and paint the inside of boat below the waterline. No more leaks.

shotgun
10-11-2005, 11:26 AM
I actually had a 12 footer that fell off the top of my truck going down the freeway. after trying many things, we settled on an epoxy based product (been too many years to remember what it is). 20 years later, its still dry. I would think any epoxy based product would do the job. I also tried bondo, and it seems to work pretty well.

MankinD
10-12-2005, 03:52 PM
The two part epoxy that I have used is Marine-Tex. "Handles like putty...Hardens like steel...sands like wood." It's basically a large container version of the common epoxy J-B Weld used by mechanics for metal casting repairs. If you are familliar with Valco, the lapped seam between the transom and bottom is too weak. The previous owner of my father's Valco 14' used to trailer the boat with the motor mounted....not good on small alum. boats even with shaft support rod. Leaked like a seive! Marine-Tex 15 years ago.... no more leaks!

Doug