PDA

View Full Version : Engine horsepower on a 14 ft aluminum boat

steveareno
09-12-2005, 03:39 PM
Went from a 15hp to a 6hp on a 14ft aluminum. Now the boat goes about as fast, and acts like a cork instead of a heavyweight. Am much happier. Since I like light instead of heavy what do think would happen with a 4hp or 2hp. As I am planning on getting a backup motor.

SuperDave
09-13-2005, 06:14 AM
I think you would put yourself in a position where you couldn't overcome adverse wind or water conditions.

sellhomes2fish
09-13-2005, 12:12 PM
You would be way under-powered with a 2hp and I agree with Hinrid and it could be unsafe. The weight difference between a 4hp and 6hp should not be much. The 6hp might be a 2 cylinder vs. single for the 4hp and save maybe 20#s max.

ratss427
09-13-2005, 06:13 PM
this spring i got a 9.9 4 stroke honda for my 14 ft. gregor.i love it.seems like the perfect balance between slow trolling,enough power to get you going and fuel efficiency.very smooth and quiet.thought about a 15hp.but am glad i went with the 9.9.my 2 c

Set_The_Hook
09-15-2005, 01:47 PM
I have a 15 hp Suzuki on my gregor that I kinda like. It will troll down to 1 mph and cruise about 15 mph with just me in the boat. I wouldn't mind putting a 25 on the back to make motoring to different areas a little less time consuming.
STH

Erreck
09-15-2005, 05:35 PM
All I use anymore on my 14'er is a 4hp Merc. As Hinrid said, it does put you in a battle with nature when the conditions are bad. But, I will say this, if the conditions are so bad that the 4hp can't push me to safety, I shouldn't be on the water in a 14'er anyway :-/. I've had my setup "pushed to the limit" a few times. My boat has always been the limiting factor (waves toooo BIG), not the motor. In fact, my boat was near swamped one time because I had the weight of my 9.9 on the back. Had the 4 been on, I wouldn't have been ankle deep in water while standing in the boat.

All that being said... If I had a choice, I'd have a 5-6hp. No more. No less.

Sardine
09-15-2005, 07:15 PM
Stevers. Your fine. Long as you aren't in a hurry. I got a 15 hp on my 14 Gregor for when I need to go long in a hurry. Or the other 3 hp Gamefisher that is good for the short runs. Heck, sometimes we only use the electric trolling motor. The 15 won't go slow enough to troll & I see some turkeys out there with a 25 hp on the same units. I've never needed to go that fast. At least not in the 14 foot aluminum job. I think your in good shape.

Waterworks
09-17-2005, 10:15 AM
I have a 12 ft Gregor and have compared a 4 horse Evinrude to a 6 horse Mercury. I thought the 6 was better but not to big. The 6 is 50% more powerful.

dandeuce
09-17-2005, 10:27 AM
I would stick with the 6 HP as you should have a R-N-F gear shift , the smaller motors quite often pivot 360 degrees for their reverse . Pain in the butt. For those of you with a 15 hp that won't troll , I have a 25hp Yamaha 4-stroke that trolls just fine at idle speed in gear , catch just as many or more fish than most . My downrigger ball and line are down at a proper angle also , plus I can get to the other side of the lake in minutes instead of hours if neccessary . Emergency , lady got to pee , etc.

Dan

Waterworks
09-17-2005, 11:49 AM
Good point about the 6. *I can sit farther up with a 6 because the tiller handle has throttle and reverse control on it. *I recently spent $425 on a Minn Kota Vector electric trolling motor with 55 lbs of thrust. *I have a 13 ft. Boston Whaler that is a bit heavier than a 14 ft Gregor. *I am aware now that the 55 lb. thrust has as much power as a 4 horse Evinrude. So I can use the Minn Kota as an emergency backup if I do not get too far out there. *In many situations for bass I do not need a gas motor. *If I had it to do again, I would rather spend $425 on a strong electric and 2 batteries than, say, $900 on a gas motor.

steveareno
09-26-2005, 04:49 PM
Thanks guys, the insight and experience was fantastic. I did not get a responsive e-mail alert and just decided to check the sniffer, and wow, I wish I had known all the advise, because I bought a 2stroke 8hp Tohatsu, and the other day at the end of the rock wall got that feeling of not a cork anymore, and water at the transom looking too high. Everything worked out, but I really should check my
mail at the sniffer, since I thought no one replied.
Anyway thanks for the info, it was great. Steveareno out.

regal_rish_on
09-27-2005, 09:21 AM
That seems odd to me that a 14' with a 15hp is now almost as fast or as fast with a 6hp I would have to say something is wrong? Was the 15 running correctly?

fresnofshfan
09-27-2005, 11:08 AM
I have a 14' Gregor with a 25Hp 2stroke Merc. I like the extra power, it helps me maintain my direction on windy days. For me this is a must as I fish high sierra lakes mostly. Its always nice to be able to throttle up and get to the far side of the lake in a few minutes, as I like to fish away from the crowds. Just my .02 ;)

FFF

SuperDave
09-27-2005, 11:36 AM
I thought it was this thread but must have been another one where someone was asking about HP for a 14'er. Anyway, I've seen 14'ers with literally no freeboard and others, like a Tracker, that had quite deep gunnels. In this discussion, it's as much about depth as anything.

Big_Easy
09-30-2005, 08:48 AM
Question: A 14 Ft Gruman with a side console and 25hp 2 Stroke on the back seems sufficient to get out on the bay. Or will the motor be a little too much for the rough conditions? Weight is the factor correct! ??? I'm learning!