PDA

View Full Version : Tape Measure

GCinGV
09-23-2005, 07:23 AM
I can’t count how many tape measures have turned into a useless pile of rust from sitting in my open boat. Does anyone know if you can get them made of Mylar, Aluminum or something else that won’t rust?
GC

drstressor
09-23-2005, 07:28 AM
Check this site out:

http://www.irl.bc.ca/Measuring%20Navigation/measuring_tapes.htm

The logging and mining industries use heavy duty non-rusting tapes all the time.

I have a Stanley Powerlock that is much cheaper. The tape doesn't rust, but the case does.

If you just need one to measure fish, get one of those tapes that have adhesive on one side and stick it inside of your gunnel. If you need to measure large fish like sturgeon, look at fishing gear websites from Florida.

SuperDave
09-23-2005, 07:37 AM
I have an aluminum yard stick I'm thinking about mounting on my rear deck. In the event I ever catch anything over 36"'s, I'll gladly measure twice and do the math! ;D

Set_The_Hook
09-23-2005, 09:18 AM
Sportsmans warehouse had some measuring boards made of aluminum that looked pretty nice. One I think was 4' long. They have a "stop" on one end to put the fish's nose up against. I have made some from plexi glass and light plywood with an aluminum yardstick before. They work great.

tdekens
09-23-2005, 09:51 AM
DFG gives out sticker ones that go to 28 inches. You can put them on your boat or like I did you can put them on your big net. If you are local to 95953 I will hook you up with one. If not get ahold of your local DFG office that does fishing and they will have them. I am getting some from my cousin who works for DFG. Unfortunately she works with the game dept so she is getting some from another office for me. Let me know if you cant get one. They have min/max size lengths for all the fish in the rivers. Another tip would be is that you could engrave your net like a tape measure as well. Never thought of that before. ;)
2Shakes ;D ;D 8)

FISHSTALKER
09-23-2005, 05:52 PM
I have aluminum yard sticks mounted in both my boats. I used velcro to put them in place. The velcro will work on boat carpet too!

Rusty_Hooks
09-23-2005, 06:07 PM
Here is a thread where we can easily sort the pesamists from the optimists... ;D

And Dale has it right, if you want to ad another 3'...more velcro!! :o ::)

Irish
09-24-2005, 05:19 AM
West Marine has a plastic stick-on called Boat Rul-R.
Its 37 inches long and made of vinyl. It also comes with “fish tabs” that stick on below the ruler to mark size limits. The cost was about $4.00. and will adhere to anywhere on your boat. I have mine on the side of my livewell. Easy to read, black with white letters, and works a lot better than trying to use a tape measure.

GCinGV
09-24-2005, 06:36 AM
Thanks for the response. I have the deck marked for smaller fish but as Doc guessed I like to keep a conventional tape in the boat for measuring large fish in the water.
GC

fence_man
09-24-2005, 02:13 PM
Go to fabric store the have fabric tapes !!