PDA

View Full Version : outboard jet question ..

Factoryphoto.com
09-16-2005, 06:18 PM
I have a 17' flat bottom G3 jon boat.? my boat is about 950lbs and with a load about 1250 lbs or so.. I have a 60hp prop on it now that works great but was thinking of selling the whole package and getting a north river or fish rite but honestly I think my G3 is much better for fishing in these rivers.. The prop is the only thing holding me back..
so any of you guys have experience with a boat this size with a 60/40 ob jet? I am stuck in the middle where I can not purchase a 90/60 jet because the engine is too heavy so it's either sell the whole package and buy a NR with a 90/60 or change my 60 hp prop to a 60/40 jet.. Any info is much appreciated..
thanks

Brettski
09-16-2005, 07:21 PM
Have you looked into Piranha Propellers? Check their website it might be just what you are looking for.Brettski

Factoryphoto.com
09-17-2005, 08:48 AM
Brettski hey thanks, I actually have been looking at those but still even with those I cant go any faster than 2 mph like I do already.. With a jet I will not have to worry about it so much.. Alot of it has to do with knowing the river but with a jet it will cut off 50% of my time drifting everywhere and then I could also get up in the shallows for steelhead ect..
if a 60/40 yami jet can get my boat on plane I will get one but im just waiting for a little info from someone that has experienced this issue
thanks
hoss

TomB
09-17-2005, 03:40 PM
I took a test ride in the 17'6 North River Revenge it has a dry weight of 875 and the 60/40 Yahama jet had plenty of power to get it on a plane. You might check over at Sac River Marine and see how it feels to you.

MSzychulda
09-18-2005, 12:42 AM
I have a Lowe 1756 with a 6 deg V bottom, so pretty similar to yours. I have a 4 stroke Suzuki 70 horse with a jet on it. I figure it is about a 70/50. The four stroke is really a bit heavier than I wanted but boy it is quiet and responsive.
Anyways if it helps you out, with the 70 and a full load with 3 guys and gear I can get it up to 30-31 mph top, and usually cruise at 27-28 mph (4800 rpm) to save on gas and keep it from running WOT all the time.
It puts it on plane fast, but you do have to be more careful with your weight distribution with the jet. I try to keep the boat balanced and it makes a huge difference
in getting on plane and top speed I can plane out in about 1 to 1 1/2 boat lengths usually, and have run 6-8 inches of water so far. Really don't want to go much shallower myself, if I can help it.
According to the Snider Jet Boat site "a 60/40 Jet engine will effectively bring 1500 pounds of gross weigh on plane. Weight beyond this number will impact performance." They recommend 1 horse power per every 25 lbs of weight (measured from the power head, not jet).
see this site for that info and a motor size chart:

http://www.snyderboats.com/seven_steps.html

Here are some great resources that may help with your decision. I had a hard time deciding as well due to my engine size, but have no regrets. These sites really helped.

http://www.snyderboats.com/resources.htm

http://www.harrispublishing.com/fusetalk/forum/index.cfm?forumid=11

Good luck!

MSzychulda
09-18-2005, 01:07 AM
Factoryphoto, you have a PM. :)

Factoryphoto.com
09-18-2005, 11:43 AM
Matt I emailed you back..
again thank you very much buddy :)
hoss
ps: I think I am going to buy the jet from that place in san leandro and make my 60hp yamaha a jet 60/40.. Hey is the gas really twice as bad as a prop?

MSzychulda
09-18-2005, 09:40 PM
Hey Factoryphoto, just for info. I talked with my brother tonight. He is a boat mechanic and salesman in Redding. He agreed that the 60/40 would push your boat. He said you won't have a screamer, but said it should plane out and run shallow just fine, especially with only two guys like you mentioned. He agreed with my 23-24 mph estimate, and said you may get a bit more. The problem you will find, is when everyone hears your success stories, they all want to come! Amazing how many friends you have when you have a boat :)
Glad to give you what info I can, and look forward to hearing how it works out for you.

spoonkilr
09-20-2005, 09:36 AM
i have a 17 foot lowe w/ 60/45merc. it runs great in the shallows. it will run fully loaded in 4 inches of water. i run alot of rivers in the valley. The speed is fast enough...good luck--spoonkilr

Factoryphoto.com
09-20-2005, 03:33 PM
guys thanks for all the info.. I ordered my jet pump today will be here in about 4 weeks.. gonna run me about $2300 or so with labor and a jack plate or whatever that plate is.. I cant wait to launch out of live oak or gridley and go get some steelies this winter..